Force 10 Model Number?

  • shanecreamer@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2011
      I need to replace my Force 10 Mariner range in my 1998 J 42. Force 10 has changed the ranges they offer and they have told me that I need to get the model number on my existing oven to figure out which new model will fit correctly. The model number is on the bottom right front side (facing forward). Unfortunately, the label on my oven is obliterated.

      Does anyone know the Force 10 model number for J 42s? In the alternative, if anyone has replaced their oven recently, can you please tell me which model oven you replaced it with?

      Thanks,

      Shane Creamer
      J 42 #30 Baruna

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 11, 2011

          My unit says model #60350.

          I can also send the serial number if that's helpful.

          -tk
          ________________
          Blame my Android for any typos.

        • shearwater@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 12, 2011
            Thanks Tom. Newt Merrill replaced his stove recently and was able to give me the replacement model's number. The replacement model number is 63351, and it's called the "North American Standard" by Force 10. It just arrived yesterday and it's a very nice upgrade. I'll post pictures once I get it in the boat.

            Best Regards,

            Shane

[...]

          • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 13, 2011
            Dear all,

            I think I promised this some time ago.  For our race to Hawaii, I have a built a few models to help me manage the boat.

            This is not the complete set, but it does have the Electrical Budget, Fuse listings, etc. and some safety stuff in it.  I'll be rebuilding as part of my 2012 race prep for another Pac Cup. I will promise (again) to share after we have finished our refit this winter.

            Of course any feedback on improving this would be greatly appreaciated.

            Oh, I just moved to Portland (Tiki J is staying in SF) if anyone is in this area.

            Enjoy,
            Scott
            J/42 #33 TikiJ in San Mateo (Bay area), CA

            Message 6 of 15 , Oct 13, 2011
              You're teasing us!

              How did you mount the solar panels in a race-worthy way?

              And, how did you get the Amp-hour capacity up to 396 Ah?

              It's always bugged me that it takes about 24 Ah a day just to power up the main DC panel. :-)

              Welcome to Portland!  I live in Hood River, but VELOCITY lives at the Portland Yacht Club on the Columbia.

              -tk

              On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham <sk_dickinson@...> wrote:

              [Attachment(s) from Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham included below]

              Dear all,

              I think I promised this some time ago.  For our race to Hawaii, I have a built a few models to help me manage the boat.

              This is not the complete set, but it does have the Electrical Budget, Fuse listings, etc. and some safety stuff in it.  I'll be rebuilding as part of my 2012 race prep for another Pac Cup. I will promise (again) to share after we have finished our refit this winter.

              Of course any feedback on improving this would be greatly appreaciated.

              Oh, I just moved to Portland (Tiki J is staying in SF) if anyone is in this area.

              Enjoy,
              Scott
              J/42 #33 TikiJ in San Mateo (Bay area), CA

            • Conrad Deeter
              Message 7 of 15 , Oct 13, 2011

                Scott,

                This is a very useful worksheet.  Can you send it without the read-only format?

                Another J # 46

                Message 8 of 15 , Oct 13, 2011
                Hi Conrad,

                I'm just now converting to Excell 2010 and didn't realize it is saving as read-only.  Does this version work?

                Message 9 of 15 , Oct 13, 2011
                Hi,

                Attched are pictures of the rear wing with solar panel and the flex panels on the dodger (prior to us tieing them down with line for the race).

                We have a dual house batteries which are AGM, based on Lifeline Two 8D Batteries: Each is 475/60*25=197.92 AH.  198X2=396 Amp Hours.  These are amounted under the starboard Setee bunk alogn with the charger/inverter and solar regulator.

                I have a wing mounted on the back of the boat with a davits to lift a dinghy.  I mounted the panel on the davits.  I also have a race Dodger (a bit of an oxymoron I realize more on that if interested), that I mounted 4 flexible solar panels on for the race.  Solar output proved to be useless on our last race since it was cloudy almost every day.

                I am not happy with the results of my budget, nor am I happy with how much charging I needed to do while underway.  We made a series of decisions that led to this, but I'm starting to unwind the causes before our next race. It takes for ever to charge them when out on the water. Part of my refit is redoing most of the core DC wiring to help me turn off a bunch of junk I don't need while underway. I guess I started by adding all the cool stuff and have now realized the cost....

                The flex panels perform well and are out of the way, but proved useless without sun.

                Thanks for the interest.

                Scott

                Message 10 of 15 , Oct 13, 2011

                  Scott,

                  Yes the file is accessible now.  Thanks,

                    Message 12 of 15 , Oct 13, 2011
                      Great stuff.  We are folowing suit.  I just installed a 150 amp altnernator and looking to see if the regulator is effective for my use.

                      I think we'd like to be down to matching solar output to daytime draw and charge just for the night use.  The problem we seem to have during the race is the desire to run a computer 24x7 and radar during the squal period at night so we can pick the best exist strategy on each storm.  Our fridge is fridgiboat, and was air cooled, we Just installed a keel cooler.  During the next race, I"m proposing we shut it down when not charging.

                      Any recommendations on Battery/usage monitor?  I used a handheld amp meter to measure all equipment one by one during my electrical budget setup.  But have found the link 1000 we have to not show what the solar is doing, so wanted to added a display to our solar so I can see what it is actually generating.

                      Scott

                      Message 13 of 15 , Oct 13, 2011
                        I have the Link 10 and it does show amps in from the solar panel.  Every draw has to be off in order to show the actual input and since somethings can't be turned off completely I am not sure it is accurate down to the last 1/10 of an amp, but it give me a rough idea.  Since it is a small unit with only a max of about 3-4 amps per hour, it can't keep up with anything while we are underway, however at anchor on a sunny day it can replenish to 100%.
                        We like to charge and run the fridge at the same time so as to balance the stress on the engine.

                        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 14 of 15 , Oct 14, 2011
                          Scott,
                          Nice spreadsheet, thx for posting. A couple of comments:
                          Not sure I buy some of the current measurements. You have the reefer compressor at 1 hour a day at 51.9 amps. That can't be. It must be a total of 51.9 amps for the day. Maybe 7 amps/hr when on.

                          Your SSB Tx is listed as 4.3 amps. That is way too low to be getting a 100watt output. It should be more in the 15-25amps range, while Txíng. If it isn't then there is issues with your SSB install or you weren't on high power.

                          Your Link 100'0 should show you amps in and out. May be you should look where the solar output is placed on the battery bus.

                          On the 2nd electric tab you have a write up on the alternator output. Make sure you include the inefficiency of putting those amps back into the battery. If you have 100amps coming out of your  alternator going to the battery, (and no other draws on the system) than the batteries will get something like 90 amps put back in an hour, not a 100.

                          In the med kit. consider adding Silvadene burn cream (silver sulfadiazine). Galley burns and engine spray burns are a definite risk and need to be dealt with very early to avoid serious infection.

                          Not sure if your medkit has the equivalent of these, but I found the BloodStopper Bandages nice to have in the kit. If for no other reason that the name on the label gets your attention. They are cheap
                          Blood Stopper Bandage

                          Paul
                          J/37 Jeorgia
                          svjeorgia.blogspot.com

                        • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
                          Message 15 of 15 , Oct 14, 2011
                            Paul,
                            I think you reviewed the model closer than I did!  Thanks so much for catching the mistakes.  You are right on about the frig.  I don't remember the SSB details, but I agree with your take.  As for charge rate, I tried to include a variable (set to 95% on this version) that shows the absorbtion rate of the battery.  Generally, I found this varied over the charging cycle and the "budget" has been just sort of a targeting model.  I found my charging concept to be a bit simplistic, I"ll be testing and off shore scenerio before the actual race.

                            I really appreciate all your input, I'll include in this on my next time around.  I will add the med kit stuff.  My current kit got sort of "distributed" after our last race or was expired and I'll be rebuilding it with some stuff I had left over.

                            BTW, I really enjoy this forum and than everyone for what they contribute even when I'm silent.