Considering the purchase of a J/42

  • tributesails
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2011
      We are looking to purchase a new (to us) boat and the J/42 is in the mix. Is there anything specifically I should look at or have a surveyor look at? I know there was an early issue with rudder bearings but I think the switch to the edson bearings fixed that.

      Anything else that we should be aware of?

    • Robert Thuss
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 27, 2011

        Do you have a particular one that you are considering? If not, mine is for sale and she is the least expensive one on the market, now that Dolphin (very comparable) is in contract in Annapolis. Full listing is on Yachtworld at

        http://tinyurl.com/JadeUS50777

        Regards,

        Robert Thuss

        Atlantic Highlands, NJ

        (908) 692-4455

        We are looking to purchase a new (to us) boat and the J/42 is in the mix. Is there anything specifically I should look at or have a surveyor look at? I know there was an early issue with rudder bearings but I think the switch to the edson bearings fixed that.

        Anything else that we should be aware of?

        The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the above named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are expressly prohibited from copying, distributing, disseminating, or in any other way using any information contained within this communication. If you have received this communication in error please contact the sender by telephone or by response via mail.

        We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.

      • Barry Dwyer
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 27, 2011

          Robert,

          I have looked at yours online.  Looks to be in great shape and with great equipment.  I remember watching you sail by us in one of the NBR races.

          Most of my knowledge about the J/42 is from research and I have only been on one once.  I am looking at one today that is about to go to contract just to get more familiar.

          We are at the beginning of our search and trying to narrow the field a little at this point so a trip to NJ to look at yours is not in the cards just yet.

          Do you have suggestions on what fixes/upgrades I should be on the lookout for?

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 27, 2011
            Hi, Barry

            It would be great to see you in the ranks of J/42 owners!

            The J/42s are basically very well build boats but, like any boats, they have their weak spots. Here are two that I'm aware of:

            o It's not just the early boats with Harken bearings that have had problems. My boat is a model year 2000 (hull #39) using a Tides Marine bearing and it had problems as well. If you look at this vintage, make sure that the rudder stock is turning within the bearing, rather than the bearing receiver (a ball-like structure) turning within its case.

            o Corrosion in the starboard fuel tank is a known problem. The problem is that the aluminum tank sits against the hull, where water can collect against it, corroding the tank. It's hard to check for this unless you either pull the tank, or use a snake camera, but you might be able to see some signs of corrosion if you look under the aft berth, at the forward inboard corner.

            Cheers,

            -tk

            --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "tributesails" <bdwyer@...> wrote:

            > We are looking to purchase a new (to us) boat and the J/42 is in the mix. Is there anything specifically I should look at or have a surveyor look at? I know there was an early issue with rudder bearings but I think the switch to the edson bearings fixed that.
            >
            > Anything else that we should be aware of?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Barry

          • Barry Dwyer
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 27, 2011

              Tom,

              Great info.  Thanks.

              Barry

              It would be great to see you in the ranks of J/42 owners!

              The J/42s are basically very well build boats but, like any boats, they have their weak spots. Here are two that I'm aware of:

              o It's not just the early boats with Harken bearings that have had problems. My boat is a model year 2000 (hull #39) using a Tides Marine bearing and it had problems as well. If you look at this vintage, make sure that the rudder stock is turning within the bearing, rather than the bearing receiver (a ball-like structure) turning within its case.

              o Corrosion in the starboard fuel tank is a known problem. The problem is that the aluminum tank sits against the hull, where water can collect against it, corroding the tank. It's hard to check for this unless you either pull the tank, or use a snake camera, but you might be able to see some signs of corrosion if you look under the aft berth, at the forward inboard corner.

              Cheers,

              -tk

              --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "tributesails" <bdwyer@...> wrote:

              > We are looking to purchase a new (to us) boat and the J/42 is in the mix. Is there anything specifically I should look at or have a surveyor look at? I know there was an early issue with rudder bearings but I think the switch to the edson bearings fixed that.
              >
              > Anything else that we should be aware of?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Barry

            • Newt Merrill
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
                Barry—Very exciting, the prospect of a new member of the J-42 family! FINESSE (hull#20) has logged many miles since we bought her new in 1997. We have done 6 Newport BDA and one Marion as well as various other races and lots of New England cruising during which we have been through just about every sea and wind condition (up to 60 knots +/-). These are VERY able boats although perhaps a bit wet at times! I have also now basically rebuilt almost every aspect (partially due to a serious grounding 4 years ago) of the boat and have made a number of modifications which I'd be happy to go through with you if you take the next step. Keep us posted. Best regards, Newt

                Newton P.S. Merrill
                E-mail: Newt@...
                (O) 212-873-0287
                (C) 917-860-0373
                (F) 212-873-0289

              • shearwater@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
                  Newt-

                  I saw a picture or two and a paragraph describing the work done on Finesse by Lyman Morse, but I'd love to get a full description of the modifications - especially the Lyman Morse engraved electrical panel!

                  Regards,

                  Shane Creamer
                  Baruna J 42 #30

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011

                    Yes, indeed.  Please share any descriptions or photos.

                    Took a look at two J-42s yesterday that were going to contract (Dolphin being one of them).  Think I may need a shoal draft version based on my Chesapeake local and plans for the islands at some point.

                    Barry

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 28, 2011

                      Robert,

                      Do you have a complete listing of your sail inventory?

                      Feel free to contact me off line.

                      Barry

                      bdwyer@...