RE: [j4x-owners-group] Rudder Bearing J42

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21, 2008
      One last thought about our job.  We do not, repeat, do not, have a stainless steel sleeve on the lower part of the rudder post.  Instead it is a very very hard plastic called, I think, T10.  The bearing touches this so there is no metal between the bearing and the rudder post.  Jafa told my engineer, T10 is a perfect material to use and even better than stainless because there is no chance of galvanic corrosion.  With live rubber lip seals against the T10 there is as good a seal as there would have been with a stainless seal, without the problems of stainless when it is in contact with salt water and aluminum.
      Bill Stellin    Jaywalker

      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      From: dc1reg@...
      Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:38:32 +0000
      Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Rudder Bearing J42

      I'm about to have "Maine Sail" (hull #48) hauled with lower rudder
      bearing problems. I've read the detailed discription of the bearing
      replacement on "Jaywalker" and the J40 posts on this site.
      I believe my boat was built with the Jefa bearing but Edson may have a
      replacement as well. Anyone else had replacement experience that might
      be helpful please let me know.

      Diok Greene

    • tkeffer
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
        --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "dc1reg" <dc1reg@...> wrote:

        > Paul,
        > The boat was built in Aug 2000 and I've got something more than 11K
        > miles on the odometer including a trip to Bermuda and the BVIs.
        > The rudder's been hanging up since launch this spring and getting
        > worse. This last weekend I disconnected the wheel steering to use the
        > emergency tiller, eliminating the wheel as a possible source of the
        > problem. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to see for sure and can let
        > you know.

        Any updates?

        Curious, because my boat is the same vintage.