Rudder Bearing J42

  • dc1reg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21, 2008
      I'm about to have "Maine Sail" (hull #48) hauled with lower rudder
      bearing problems. I've read the detailed discription of the bearing
      replacement on "Jaywalker" and the J40 posts on this site.
      I believe my boat was built with the Jefa bearing but Edson may have a
      replacement as well. Anyone else had replacement experience that might
      be helpful please let me know.

      Diok Greene
    • Paul Lever
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 21, 2008
        Diok,
        How long did the Jefa bearing on your boat last? I'm hauling tomorrow to drop the rudder on my J/37 to inspect the Jefa bearings. If you didn't see it, here's some additional info on J-boat bearing replacement.
        http://www.jcruiser.org/37/Eos/eos_rudder_bearing_replacement.htm

        Paul

        At 12:38 PM 7/21/2008, dc1reg wrote:

        I'm about to have "Maine Sail" (hull #48) hauled with lower rudder
        bearing problems. I've read the detailed discription of the bearing
        replacement on "Jaywalker" and the J40 posts on this site.
        I believe my boat was built with the Jefa bearing but Edson may have a
        replacement as well. Anyone else had replacement experience that might
        be helpful please let me know.

        Diok Greene

      • William Connor
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 21, 2008
          I just went through Rudder bearing replacement on #78 in May. It
          wasn't bad enough for the packing to leak, but I could feel a slight
          catch sometimes. When it came out, it looked a lot worse than it felt.
          My upper bearing was toast as well (both Harken). The sleeve was too
          corroded to reuse, so it was two new bearings and a new sleeve. I'll
          give you the details here in case it might be of interest. My bearing
          install was factory. I have heard of second replacements that were a
          bear because the lower bearings was epoxied into the housing, or some
          such.

          Removal
          The bolts in both the steering and auto quadrants were firmly corroded
          into the quadrants. We were able to drop the shaft through the
          quadrants and deal with the bolts at the machine shop. It took quite
          some convincing to pop the lower bearing out of its housing, but once
          done, the entire assembly slid out. Both the bearing and sleeve had to
          be removed destructively.

          Installation
          I used Jeffa for both the top and lower bearing. The self-aligning top
          bearing made refitting the bottom end much easier. The top bearing was
          easy: bolt in. The bottom bearing was placed loosely on the rudder
          shaft followed by the new sleeve, which sits on top of the inner race.
          Once everything was lined up (using the set screws and wedges to set
          the alignment) and looking good, we dammed up the sleeve and inner
          race with putty and poured epoxy into the sleeve and let the whole
          thing set up. After the epoxy had set, we checked the movement to make
          sure there was no binding and then reassembled the stuffing box and
          quadrants. The bearing was a snug fit in its housing and we were
          careful not to epoxy the bearing into the housing. The outer sleeve of
          the bearing does extend maybe 1/8-1/4" below the aft edge of the
          housing. Ended up $1700 + bearings + sleeve.

          --
          Bill Connor, Principal
          Blue Hole Software
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 21, 2008
            Paul,
            The boat was built in Aug 2000 and I've got something more than 11K
            miles on the odometer including a trip to Bermuda and the BVIs.
            The rudder's been hanging up since launch this spring and getting
            worse. This last weekend I disconnected the wheel steering to use the
            emergency tiller, eliminating the wheel as a possible source of the
            problem. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to see for sure and can let
            you know.
            I did read the write up on Eos Thanks,
            Dick

            -- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, Paul Lever <paullever@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 21, 2008
              My bearing replacement was a little different than the one proposed by PYI.  They suggest a drop-in Jafa bearing which only replaces the old Harken bearing.  I didn't want to have to use the old packing system to seal the rudder post.  The Jafa bearing I had installed uses two lip seals which does away altogether with the packing flange.  This way there is no pressure on the rudder post and the steering is light as a feather.
              It does however require a lot more work and cost.  Probably 3 times as costly as the whole bottom of the hull at the rudder post has to be cut out and structurally reengineered and built.  I had the work done in Barcelona at Monty North which is the builder of super yacht sailboats.
              Smallest boat they build is 80 feet.  I had one of their engineers spec out the job and draw the plans for rebuilding the bearing housing.  Lip seals and a gaiter prevent any water whatsoever from ever coming into the boat even if it turned over.  Also there is nothing to adjust to prevent water from coming in around the rudder post.
              I would not use any bearing other than Jafa and I would suggest any advice from PYI.  They are only aware of a drop in replacement to the Harken bearing and there is a better solution.  Jafa is the worlds best so I would not suggest a Edson bearing either.  I would only have the work done by professionals not the average run of the mill yard.  I expect my bearing to last the life of the boat and have been assured by Jafa and Monty North it will.  Since the job was done we crossed the Atlantic, spent the winter from Trinidad to the BVI's and then sailed non stop from the BVI's to North Carolina.  Almost all of this was down wind sailing which puts great pressure on the rudder.  Any looseness, stiffness or leaking would have been intolerable.  We have put about 6000 miles on the boat since the work was done and everything is just as good as when the work was done.
              Find a good yard, preferably one that does major reconstruction or refitting of sailboats and have them give you advice and do the work.
              Also go to Jafa's web site and look at the bearings and their detailed instructions for installation.  It will answer all your questions.
              Good Luck
              Bill Stellin   s/y Jaywalker,   Hull #6 built in 1996

              To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 21, 2008
                One last thought about our job.  We do not, repeat, do not, have a stainless steel sleeve on the lower part of the rudder post.  Instead it is a very very hard plastic called, I think, T10.  The bearing touches this so there is no metal between the bearing and the rudder post.  Jafa told my engineer, T10 is a perfect material to use and even better than stainless because there is no chance of galvanic corrosion.  With live rubber lip seals against the T10 there is as good a seal as there would have been with a stainless seal, without the problems of stainless when it is in contact with salt water and aluminum.
                Bill Stellin    Jaywalker

                To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3 7:42 PM
                  --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "dc1reg" <dc1reg@...> wrote:

                  > Paul,
                  > The boat was built in Aug 2000 and I've got something more than 11K
                  > miles on the odometer including a trip to Bermuda and the BVIs.
                  > The rudder's been hanging up since launch this spring and getting
                  > worse. This last weekend I disconnected the wheel steering to use the
                  > emergency tiller, eliminating the wheel as a possible source of the
                  > problem. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to see for sure and can let
                  > you know.

                  Any updates?

                  Curious, because my boat is the same vintage.