Re: [j4x-owners-group] Re: Emergency Rudder

  • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 27, 2011
      Tom,

      In our recent race to Hawaii, a boat made it the last 1/2 way there on a drogue.  Both Rudders failed on a brand new boat.  "California Condor".  I'm not a fan of the drogue as a primary backup for our rudder, but have one on board for when needed.  I would agree it doesn't sound like a safe strategy to keep you off a lee shore.  In our races, the uses of drogues are often for downwind.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 28, 2011
        Thanks, everyone, for your useful responses!

        I ended up ordering a Scanmar SOS rudder. Given the short deadline there wasn't time to build my own. Plans are to mount it this weekend.

        We will be carrying a drogue.

        Thanks again!

        -tk