Radar Pole

  • dc1reg
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2011
      Any thoughts on a preferred radar pole for the J42? I'm replacing my backstay mounted radar. I've looked at the Kato website and see theirs is stainless steel. Any other options?
      Dick Greene
      J42 #48
      MaineSail
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2011
        Hi Dick:

        I too am looking at installing a radar pole.  I think Edson may have a kit.  There is also a DIY project performed by Tom Keffer on his J/42 Velocity.  Check out his great documentation and pictures at the link on the J/42 Tips page:
        http://www.sailingsource.com/j42class/Tips/

        regards,
         Bernie
         Amigo VI - J/42 #3

        Bernie Coyne
        Market Manager
        Change & Configuration Management Solutions

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2011
          I installed the Edison pole which is alum. At first I thought about it being deck mounted and braced to the push pit. However that did not work well so it is mounted to a glassed in stub at the hulls bottom. I used the supplied deck fitting to help support and seal it. This way I didn't have to do any deck glass work. The pole is quite whippy but it has survived two Atlantic crossings and 30,000 miles.  A couple of years ago I had it powder coated white to match the rig and the paint has held up perfectly. If I were to do it again. I would probably use a larger diameter and probably thin wall stainless or fiberglass. Through deck mounting is the best for strength and good looks in me view. A pole also makes for a good mounting for GPS or Navtex antennas. I've never had any trouble with the pole or it's method of installation.
          Bill Stellin. Jaywalker

          Sent from my iPod

          On Apr 4, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...> wrote:

          Hi Dick:

          I too am looking at installing a radar pole.  I think Edson may have a kit.  There is also a DIY project performed by Tom Keffer on his J/42 Velocity.  Check out his great documentation and pictures at the link on the J/42 Tips page:
          http://www.sailingsource.com/j42class/Tips/

          regards,
           Bernie
           Amigo VI - J/42 #3

          Bernie Coyne
          Market Manager
          Change & Configuration Management Solutions
          <mime-attachment.gif>

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2011
              If you want to get weight off the transom I strongly recommend a carbon fibre mast/pole. We did it with great results--I probably have a photo somewhere if you want to see the finished product. Note: you will want to Awlgrip it for UV protection. Newt Merrill

              --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

              > If I were to install a new pole, I would do what Tom did even though my method works and looks fine.
              > Bill Stellin
              >
              > Sent from my iPod
              >
              > On Apr 4, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Dick:
              > >
              > > I too am looking at installing a radar pole. I think Edson may have a kit. There is also a DIY project performed by Tom Keffer on his J/42 Velocity. Check out his great documentation and pictures at the link on the J/42 Tips page:
              > > http://www.sailingsource.com/j42class/Tips/
              > >
              > > regards,
              > > Bernie
              > > Amigo VI - J/42 #3
              > >
              > > Bernie Coyne
              > > Market Manager
              > > Change & Configuration Management Solutions
              > > IBM Software Group, Rational
              > > Phone: 720-396-6297
              > > Email: coyneb@... <mime-attachment.gif>
              > > <mime-attachment.gif>
              > >

              > > From: "dc1reg" <rgreene1@...>
              > > To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
              > > Date: 04/04/2011 07:21 AM
              > > Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Radar Pole
              > > Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
              > >

              > > Any thoughts on a preferred radar pole for the J42? I'm replacing my backstay mounted radar. I've looked at the Kato website and see theirs is stainless steel. Any other options?
              > > Dick Greene
              > > J42 #48
              > > MaineSail

            • Richard Greene
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 5, 2011
                Thanks Bernie, I like Tom's project. I'm doing a new Raymarine E120 and radar install myself, so I could include the pole project too.
                I'm checking with Redman Marine Fabricators (York ME) for the cost of a pole with a bracket on top. They have 3 1/2" aluminum in stock.
                 No sense in getting one shipped from Washington state if I can help it.

                I'll keep you posted when I make any progress.
                Dick

                To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com