mast tuning

  • Conrad Deeter
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2011

      Is there a tuning guide for the J42... I stayed with the tuning that the rigger used last year.  I think it could be much better and stiffer but I wanted to ask if there is a guide.  Presently the mast is vertically straight with pre-bend but the shrouds are loose on the leeward side under sail.  I was planning to tighten so that the tension is maintained even on the leeward side under sail and the mast is vertically straight with some pre-bend.  Any suggestions on mast tuning.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2011
        The owners manual gives very detailed and specific instructions on tuning. If you don't have the manual j-Boats can furnish one. If that fails I can copy and send you the section although it is on the boat and it will be several days before I can retrieve it.
        Bill Stellin

        Sent from my iPod

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2011

          Bill,

          Thanks, I will contact J boats... if that fails I will send you a note.

          Conrad

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2011
          I use the North Sails tuning guide for the J/120.  See attachment - hope it comes through.

          Market Manager
          Change & Configuration Management Solutions

          From:        "Conrad Deeter" <cdsail@...>
          To:        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
          Date:        03/31/2011 08:37 PM
          Subject:        [j4x-owners-group] mast tuning

          Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2011
            Depending on how much you want to tune the rig for light vs. heavier conditions, you can select a day in between your normal light and heavy and go out as you described, sailing to weather, and tighten the leeward shroud just enough to remove any wiggle, tack  over and do the same on the other shroud. We used the Loose tension gage for several years but believe that those settings are way to tight. We also race J22s and have learned from the fleet that if the rig is too tight, the main is not as responsive to adjustments in shape. Good sailing.

            From:        "Conrad Deeter" <cdsail@...>
            To:        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
            Date:        03/31/2011 08:37 PM