RE: [j4x-owners-group] Re: Cabin Hatch Stop

  • Conrad Deeter
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2011

      I remember that you had installed the PSS shaft seal on your boat.  Do you have the diameter of the shaft tube?  I tried to measure mine today and was stymied by the rubber boot that is already on the shaft tube.  I could almost measure it at ~ 2.1/4 inches and the back part was 3 ¼ inches but I do not think the boot will even go over the back section because the forward section of the shaft tube is that 2 ¼ inch section, I think...   There is not much distance between the connection to the transmission and the shaft tube... did you need to make any adjustments for the distance (~6 ½ inches)?

      Thanks,

      Conrad  Another J - # 46

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2011
        The outside diameter of my shaft log is 2"  (two inches).  I did not have to modify anything for it to work. Getting the transmission flange off the shaft can be a real tussle. It is a very tight fit and probably corroded somewhat with rust as the flange is  mild steel.  By the way the device works perfectly and well worth the cost and effort to install.  Except for the flange removal, the rest is very straight forward and simple.
        Bill Stellin
        Jaywalker   hull #6

        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
        From: cdsail@...
        Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 17:25:15 -0600

        I remember that you had installed the PSS shaft seal on your boat.  Do you have the diameter of the shaft tube?  I tried to measure mine today and was stymied by the rubber boot that is already on the shaft tube.  I could almost measure it at ~ 2.1/4 inches and the back part was 3 ¼ inches but I do not think the boot will even go over the back section because the forward section of the shaft tube is that 2 ¼ inch section, I think...   There is not much distance between the connection to the transmission and the shaft tube... did you need to make any adjustments for the distance (~6 ½ inches)?

        Thanks,

        Conrad  Another J - # 46

        I have had the same problem with Canty J-42 #38. Ardfern Yacht Centre in Scotland will be making the repairs shortly. What solution did you choose for your repairs and have you had any further problems.

        I have read the earlier comments on the group site. If anyone else has any other solutions I would like to hear from you.

        Paul Rogers

        --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "bfoxj42" <bfoxj42@...> wrote:

        > I just had the fiberglass/gel coat stops at the aft end of the sliders
        > for my cabin hatch bust off on both sides in big chunks - one side
        > probably as big as 1 1/2" across. This was caused while sailing back
        > from Bermuda in rough weather and lots of rain where the crew was
        > coming in and our and slamming the sliding hatch closed. But this was
        > over a period of about three days.
        >
        > One suggestion was to drill a pin into the structure to strengthen and
        > reinforce the fiberglass and to put some type of rubber stop to reduce
        > the shock.
        >
        > I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and how it was repaired.
        > Thanks for your ideas.
        >
        > Bob Fox
        > J/42 #18
        > Schematic
        > 50787

      • Conrad Deeter
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2011

          Thanks, that is likely the size of the shaft log on # 46 also.  I will give you the story after I complete the removal and installation.  Did you vent your seal or just cap the vent?

          Conrad

          To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
          From: cdsail@...
          Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 17:25:15 -0600

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 6, 2011
            I had an early version that didn't have a vent and had problems for 5 years. Eventually I discovered newer installations came with the vent. I complained to the company and they replaced the unit free. Moral of the story, use the vent by all means. It keeps the mating surfaces lubricated with a thin film of water. Without water the surfaces dry out and chatter like holy hell.  You would think the whole boat was shaking apart. Be sure the vent hose ends well above the water line when heeled. I ran the tube up into the cockpit seat locker and alongside the bulkhead between it and the aft head as high as it could go.

            To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
            From: cdsail@...
            Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 17:25:15 -0600