Re: [j4x-owners-group] Digest Number 119

  • Newt
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2011
      Standard J-42 problem.  On Finesse (#20) we tried everything from reglassing to rubber stops, etc. Finally went to stainless stops and new glass and gelcoat--appears to be holding. Newt Merrill

      Sent from my iPad

      On Feb 17, 2011, at 9:34 AM, j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Messages In This Digest (3 Messages)

      1a.
      Re: Cabin Hatch Stop From: Paul Rogers
      1b.
      Re: Cabin Hatch Stop From: Anthony M Iacono
      1c.
      Re: Cabin Hatch Stop From: William Stellin

      Messages

      1a.

      Re: Cabin Hatch Stop

      Posted by: "Paul Rogers" pkr@...   pkr124

      Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:31 am (PST)

      Bob

      I have had the same problem with Canty J-42 #38. Ardfern Yacht Centre in Scotland will be making the repairs shortly. What solution did you choose for your repairs and have you had any further problems.

      I have read the earlier comments on the group site. If anyone else has any other solutions I would like to hear from you.

      Paul Rogers

      --- In j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com, "bfoxj42" <bfoxj42@... > wrote:

      > I just had the fiberglass/gel coat stops at the aft end of the sliders
      > for my cabin hatch bust off on both sides in big chunks - one side
      > probably as big as 1 1/2" across. This was caused while sailing back
      > from Bermuda in rough weather and lots of rain where the crew was
      > coming in and our and slamming the sliding hatch closed. But this was
      > over a period of about three days.
      >
      > One suggestion was to drill a pin into the structure to strengthen and
      > reinforce the fiberglass and to put some type of rubber stop to reduce
      > the shock.
      >
      > I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and how it was repaired.
      > Thanks for your ideas.
      >
      > Bob Fox
      > J/42 #18
      > Schematic
      > 50787

      1b.

      Re: Cabin Hatch Stop

      Posted by: "Anthony M Iacono" tony@...   tonyiacono@...

      Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:50 am (PST)

      Ive had the same problem Affinity #26, and just keep fixing it cosmetically.
      Investigating putting a pin in the slider grove to stop the hatch from
      hitting the fiberglass. TI

      <mailto:j4x- owners-group% 40yahoogroups. com> , "bfoxj42" <bfoxj42@... > wrote:

      > I just had the fiberglass/gel coat stops at the aft end of the sliders
      > for my cabin hatch bust off on both sides in big chunks - one side
      > probably as big as 1 1/2" across. This was caused while sailing back
      > from Bermuda in rough weather and lots of rain where the crew was
      > coming in and our and slamming the sliding hatch closed. But this was
      > over a period of about three days.
      >
      > One suggestion was to drill a pin into the structure to strengthen and
      > reinforce the fiberglass and to put some type of rubber stop to reduce
      > the shock.
      >
      > I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and how it was repaired.
      > Thanks for your ideas.
      >
      > Bob Fox
      > J/42 #18
      > Schematic
      > 50787

      1c.

      Re: Cabin Hatch Stop

      Posted by: "William Stellin" wstellin@...   wstellin

      Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:18 pm (PST)

      One fix is to take the hatch hood off and put stops on the inside forward end of the hatch.
      Bill Stellin. Jaywalker

      Sent from my iPod

      On Feb 16, 2011, at 11:50 AM, "Anthony M Iacono" <tony@shanomet. com> wrote:

      > Ive had the same problem Affinity #26, and just keep fixing it cosmetically. Investigating putting a pin in the slider grove to stop the hatch from hitting the fiberglass. TI

      Recent Activity
        Visit Your Group
        Give Back

        Yahoo! for Good

        Get inspired

        by a good cause.

        Y! Toolbar

        Get it Free!

        easy 1-click access

        to your groups.

        Yahoo! Groups

        Start a group

        in 3 easy steps.

        Connect with others.

        Need to Reply?

      • Bob Fox
        Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2011
          On mine I actually had it repaired twice. The first repair was weaker than the original. I finally went

          Bob Fox
          FOX Architects
          Sent from my iPhone

          Recent Activity