Re: Emergency Rudder

  • cipherbill
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 23, 2008
      Monitor makes an emergency rudder you can buy off the shelf. You can
      also fabricate, or have fabricated, a cassette style transom hung
      rudder: see
      http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2002/selfsteering_seminar_1.pdf
      and
      http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2002/selfsteering_seminar_2.pdf.
      I have also seen a Cal-40 with a cassette style rudder, but with an
      aluminum plate blade in stead of a fiberglass blade.

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 23, 2008
        You can also rig a temporary steering arrangement that involves dragging a
        small sea anchor astern. You use two very long sheets each tied
        amidships. You then adjust the lengths of the lines to "steer" the vessel.
        This solution has passed all our Bermuda race inspections. It's not
        permanent but does work.

        regards,
        Bernie

        Bernie Coyne, Market Manager, Rational Team Concert product
        IBM Rational software, coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
        Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

        "bfoxj42"
        <bfoxj42@...
        m> To
        Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
        j4x-owners-group@ cc
        yahoogroups.com
        Subject
        [j4x-owners-group] Emergency Rudder
        03/22/2008 09:58
        PM

        Please respond to
        j4x-owners-group@
        yahoogroups.com

        I have a J/42 and I'm wondering if any of you have good ideas about
        rigging an emergency rudder. I'm planning on racing in the Newport
        Bermuda Race and an emergency rudder (as opposed to the back up
        tiller) is required. My understanding is that it will be required for
        future ISAF regs.

        Does anyone know if a rudder has ever fallen off of a J/42?

        Thanks

        Bob Fox
        J/42 Hull #18
        Schematic
        US 50787
      • Bob Fox
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 23, 2008
          Thanks!
          This is very helpful.
          Bob

          Monitor makes an emergency rudder you can buy off the shelf. You can
          also fabricate, or have fabricated, a cassette style transom hung
          rudder: see
          http://www.sfbaysss .org/TransPac/ transpac2002/ selfsteering_ seminar_1. pdf
          and
          http://www.sfbaysss .org/TransPac/ transpac2002/ selfsteering_ seminar_2. pdf.
          I have also seen a Cal-40 with a cassette style rudder, but with an
          aluminum plate blade in stead of a fiberglass blade.

          --- In j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com, "bfoxj42" <bfoxj42@... > wrote:

          > I have a J/42 and I'm wondering if any of you have good ideas about
          > rigging an emergency rudder. I'm planning on racing in the Newport
          > Bermuda Race and an emergency rudder (as opposed to the back up
          > tiller) is required. My understanding is that it will be required for
          > future ISAF regs.
          >
          > Does anyone know if a rudder has ever fallen off of a J/42?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Bob Fox
          > J/42 Hull #18
          > Schematic
          > US 50787

        • Bob Fox
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 23, 2008
            Thanks! I do have a small drogue that would work.
            Bob

            IBM Rational software, coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762

            <bfoxj42@yahoo. co
[...]

          • danaoviatt
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 30, 2008
              Hydrovane also makes a windvane that works as a "ready-to-go" emergency
              rudder. There was aJ-42 that was using it in the last Marion-Bermuda
              race to satisfy the requirements.

              www.hydrovane.com

              Dana

              --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "bfoxj42" <bfoxj42@...> wrote:

              > I have a J/42 and I'm wondering if any of you have good ideas about
              > rigging an emergency rudder. I'm planning on racing in the Newport
              > Bermuda Race and an emergency rudder (as opposed to the back up
              > tiller) is required. My understanding is that it will be required for
              > future ISAF regs.
              >
              > Does anyone know if a rudder has ever fallen off of a J/42?
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Bob Fox
              > J/42 Hull #18
              > Schematic
              > US 50787

            • Tom Keffer
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 16, 2011
                I am wondering what others have done for an emergency rudder.

                I'm doing the Oregon Offshore next month, a PIYA Category 1 race, and will need one. In the past, the RC has not been very hard-nosed about demanding something engineered, but this year they are getting a bit more particular.

                What works?

                -tk
              • Robert Thuss
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 18, 2011

                Tom –

                I prepared an emergency rudder sweep using a berth board from the aft cabin (aft middle under cockpit sole). In it I drilled holes to match 2 sets each axle clamps to attach either our spinnaker pole or whisker pole. The plan is to clamp a pole to the berth top (using rubber gasket tubes if needed to avoid slippage) and attach to stern & backstay with side control lines to end of sweep. Also may need to rig up-down control lines to pole. If course is primarily downwind, I planned to use our Galerider storm drogue with bridle line adjusted to maintain course.

                I’ve never had to use it but it has passed Bermuda Race inspection twice. Both inspectors liked the beefy axle clamp hardware and the fact that I had two sets in case the first pole broke.

                See checklist attached. Best regards and good luck!

                Robert Thuss
                Atlantic Highlands, NJ
                Jade – J/42 USA 50777

                Message 8 of 23 , Apr 18, 2011

                  Robert, I’d love to see your pictures, they did not come through, or at least I could not open them.

                  Tom what we did on Affinity was put two lines on a drogue. Then deployed the drogue with the attached lines to the port and starboard primary winches.

                  We than sailed up wind, down wind and on a reach. We locked the wheel to simulate lost steering.

                  To steer we winched the drogue either port or starboard and turned the boat.

                  It is slow sailing but effective. A practice we rounded government marks, and even circled a PFD tossed overboard.

                  It is a low tech, cheap, works  and solves the pre-race inspection criteria.  Tony Affinity #26

                  Message 9 of 23 , Apr 18, 2011
                    We have used the same technique on our boat as Tony describes below.  It's simple, works and passes race inspections :-)

                    Market Manager
                    Change & Configuration Management Solutions

                    Message 10 of 23 , Apr 18, 2011
                      Thanks, Robert!

                      What did you use to attach the control lines to the pole? Some sort of yoke? Of course, any pictures would be very welcome!

                      -tk

                      --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thuss <Robert.Thuss@...> wrote:

                      > Tom -
                      >
                      > I prepared an emergency rudder sweep using a berth board from the aft cabin (aft middle under cockpit sole). In it I drilled holes to match 2 sets each axle clamps to attach either our spinnaker pole or whisker pole. The plan is to clamp a pole to the berth top (using rubber gasket tubes if needed to avoid slippage) and attach to stern & backstay with side control lines to end of sweep. Also may need to rig up-down control lines to pole. If course is primarily downwind, I planned to use our Galerider storm drogue with bridle line adjusted to maintain course.
                      >
                      > I've never had to use it but it has passed Bermuda Race inspection twice. Both inspectors liked the beefy axle clamp hardware and the fact that I had two sets in case the first pole broke.
                      >
                      > See checklist attached. Best regards and good luck!
                      >
                      > Robert Thuss
                      > Atlantic Highlands, NJ
                      > Jade - J/42 USA 50777

                    • Tom Keffer
                      Message 11 of 23 , Apr 18, 2011
                        Thanks, Tony

                        In our inspection, the safety officer explicitly rejected the idea of a drogue. He does not believe it will get you off a lee shore (which most of our coastline here in the Pacific Northwest is). I guess the only way to find out is to go out and try it! :-)

                        -tk

                        Message 12 of 23 , Apr 18, 2011

                          HI Bernie, A question for you or anyone who may be able to shed some light on the subject:

                          Coming from a J/24 I’ve long looked for a tuning guide for the 42. Today I came across one you shared based upon the J /120 North tuning guide.

                          ‘base’ measured on an RT11 Loos:

                          Cap 30.5

                          Lower 32

                          Intermed 8

                          With mast full forward on base track these setting should show less than 1” pre bend.

                          I’ve not tried this yet, but wonder about the turns for adjustments; may be ‘silly’ question, BUT… when guide says -4 or +2 are you looking at full 360 degree turns on the turnbuckles? Or half turns?

                          Reason I ask is that it is difficult enough to make the turns, by the way I made a nice leaver out of rebarb wire, but and I sense that -4 turns off base for Medium wind, 8kts on the low end and 5 kts, the high end of ‘really light’, seems like a lot of turns. Of course you can tune someplace in between, but looking for clarification.

                          Did you measure head stay? If so did you find it spot on with the J/120 or did you shorten or lengthen the head stay to reach the recommended 7’9” described in the guide?  Thank you, Tony

                        • Tom Keffer
                          Message 13 of 23 , Apr 18, 2011
                            May I squeeze in one more question?

                            Is this for an aluminum mast?

                            My mast has way more than 1" of prebend, even with the backstay completely off. More like 12".

                            Message 14 of 23 , Apr 18, 2011

                              Mine is CF and I find I have about 6 to 8” or more at my ‘normal’ base which is also why I’m asking. When I first bought the  boat I  was in Stonington CT a lot. Rodney had his J/42 (now True) there at the time. I asked him about tuning and he advised: 1. Put the mast as far forward below at the base of the mast and as far aft in the partners as you can. (his words were “make it straight like a telephone pole”) Center it in the partners. (I guess hopefully the butt will be aligned with the partners that center point) Make sure it is straight sighting up the track and evenly put on tension till you see about 4” or so of pre- bend.  I assume that makes one size fit all wind with the use of backstay, cunningham and traveler.

                              From there I learned from others to take the boat out and sail in about 15 kts and then if necessary take up on the leeward’s to remove slop and sight up the rig to be sure the mast is not  bending; falling off at the top or bending to leeward in the middle.

                              Since then I’ve been told the rig is identical to the J/120 so perhaps that tuning guide is suitable to obtain better performance. My thought is all good if the balance and keel placement over the Mast is the same. That’s why I’m hoping to get a better understanding about the guide. T

                              Message 15 of 23 , Apr 18, 2011
                                Can anyone tell me where the base should be located fore and aft. Mine is in the middle of it's range and the mast seems to have about the correct amount of rake. If it were all the way forward wouldn't there be even more rake as opposed to Rods idea of it being straight as a telephone pole.
                                Bill Stellin

                                Sent from my iPod

                                On Apr 18, 2011, at 1:39 PM, "Anthony M Iacono" <tony@...> wrote:

                                Mine is CF and I find I have about 6 to 8” or more at my ‘normal’ base which is also why I’m asking. When I first bought the  boat I  was in Stonington CT a lot. Rodney had his J/42 (now True) there at the time. I asked him about tuning and he advised: 1. Put the mast as far forward below at the base of the mast and as far aft in the partners as you can. (his words were “make it straight like a telephone pole”) Center it in the partners. (I guess hopefully the butt will be aligned with the partners that center point) Make sure it is straight sighting up the track and evenly put on tension till you see about 4” or so of pre- bend.  I assume that makes one size fit all wind with the use of backstay, cunningham and traveler.

                                From there I learned from others to take the boat out and sail in about 15 kts and then if necessary take up on the leeward’s to remove slop and sight up the rig to be sure the mast is not  bending; falling off at the top or bending to leeward in the middle.

                                Message 16 of 23 , Apr 18, 2011

                                  Bill, I’m the one who mentioned Rod. Yes there would be more rake. The telephone pole idea was not meant to imply it is perpendicular, but raked and straight. That’s what I understood and consequently placed the butt all the way forward as he reccomended. In terms of Nautical Miles, few could know more than you about the J/42? Tony

                                  My mast has way more than 1" of prebend, even with the backstay completely off. More like 12".

                                  -tk

                                  --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony M Iacono" <tony@...> wrote:

                                  > HI Bernie, A question for you or anyone who may be able to shed some light on the subject:
                                  >

                                  > Coming from a J/24 I’ve long looked for a tuning guide for the 42. Today I came across one you shared based upon the J /120 North tuning guide.
                                  >

                                  > ‘base’ measured on an RT11 Loos:
                                  >
                                  > Cap 30.5
                                  >
                                  > Lower 32
                                  >
                                  > Intermed 8
                                  >

                                  > With mast full forward on base track these setting should show less than 1” pre bend.
                                  >

                                  > I’ve not tried this yet, but wonder about the turns for adjustments; may be ‘silly’ question, BUT… when guide says -4 or +2 are you looking at full 360 degree turns on the turnbuckles? Or half turns?
                                  >

                                  > Reason I ask is that it is difficult enough to make the turns, by the way I made a nice leaver out of rebarb wire, but and I sense that -4 turns off base for Medium wind, 8kts on the low end and 5 kts, the high end of ‘really light’, seems like a lot of turns. Of course you can tune someplace in between, but looking for clarification.
                                  >

                                  > Did you measure head stay? If so did you find it spot on with the J/120 or did you shorten or lengthen the head stay to reach the recommended 7’9” described in the guide? Thank you, Tony

                                • Ivan C Getting
                                  Message 17 of 23 , Apr 18, 2011
                                    Greetings All,

                                    I have a J/46 table in the salon of my J/42 and am considering stowing a portable electric freezer under it, well secured.  Away from my boat I cannot measure the space under the table.  Could anyone with a J/46 table let me know 1.) the fore-aft dimension between the legs, 2.)  the port-starboard dimension between the folded table leaves, and 3.) the vertical dimension from the cabin sole to the underside of the central portion of the table?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Ivan Getting
                                    S/V Kittiwake
                                    Hull no. 74

                                  • Scott & Kim Dickinson
                                    Message 18 of 23 , Apr 19, 2011
                                      Tom,
                                      We did a lot of searching around and finally decided to use the SOS rudder we purchased for another race boat for Hawaii.

                                      We installed and tested it to pass pre race inspections for our j/42 to race to Hawaii last summer. It worked, but I would not have enjoyed deployment. It was deployed on the last boat for the return.

                                      Maybe we could discuss a loaner option if you want.

                                      Let me know if you want pictures.

                                      Scott
                                      Tiki J

                                      Message 19 of 23 , Apr 22, 2011
                                        Greetings,

                                        I am trying to determine if a spool of stern tie line will fit through the lazarette deck opening in my J/42.  By Lazarette I mean the locker just aft of the cockpit on the starboard side.  Can anyone tell me the dimensions of this opening, fore-aft and port-starboard.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Ivan Getting
                                        S/V Kittiwake
                                        Hull no. 74
                                      • shearwater@comcast.net
                                        Message 20 of 23 , Apr 22, 2011
                                        • 1 Attachment
                                        • 2.8 MB

                                        It's 14" (fore & aft) x 20" wide at the aft end (it's 22.5" wide at the forward end).

                                        Shane Creamer
                                        Baruna
                                        J/42 # 30

                                        Sent from Xfinity Mobile App

                                        I am trying to determine if a spool of stern tie line will fit through the lazarette deck opening in my J/42.  By Lazarette I mean the locker just aft of the cockpit on the starboard side.  Can anyone tell me the dimensions of this opening, fore-aft and port-starboard.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Ivan Getting
                                        S/V Kittiwake
                                        Hull no. 74

                                      • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
                                        Message 21 of 23 , Apr 27, 2011
                                          Tom,

                                          In our recent race to Hawaii, a boat made it the last 1/2 way there on a drogue.  Both Rudders failed on a brand new boat.  "California Condor".  I'm not a fan of the drogue as a primary backup for our rudder, but have one on board for when needed.  I would agree it doesn't sound like a safe strategy to keep you off a lee shore.  In our races, the uses of drogues are often for downwind.

                                          Scott

                                          In our inspection, the safety officer explicitly rejected the idea of a drogue. He does not believe it will get you off a lee shore (which most of our coastline here in the Pacific Northwest is). I guess the only way to find out is to go out and try it! :-)

                                          -tk

                                          --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony M Iacono" <tony@...> wrote:

                                          > Robert, I'd love to see your pictures, they did not come through, or at
                                          > least I could not open them.
                                          >

                                          > Tom what we did on Affinity was put two lines on a drogue. Then deployed the
                                          > drogue with the attached lines to the port and starboard primary winches.
                                          >

                                          > We than sailed up wind, down wind and on a reach. We locked the wheel to
                                          > simulate lost steering.
                                          >

                                          > To steer we winched the drogue either port or starboard and turned the boat.
                                          >

                                          > It is slow sailing but effective. A practice we rounded government marks,
                                          > and even circled a PFD tossed overboard.
                                          >

                                          > It is a low tech, cheap, works and solves the pre-race inspection criteria.
                                          > Tony Affinity #26

                                        • Tom Keffer
                                          Message 22 of 23 , Apr 28, 2011
                                            Thanks, everyone, for your useful responses!

                                            I ended up ordering a Scanmar SOS rudder. Given the short deadline there wasn't time to build my own. Plans are to mount it this weekend.

                                            We will be carrying a drogue.

                                            Thanks again!

                                            -tk