Re: High tech sails

  • cdsail@ameritech.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 27, 2010
      I have quotes for genoa from doyle, UK and Quantum on their (each has a slightly different name) Doyle Stratis Quicksilver (GPC), Fusion MX Poly Double Taffeta and similar from UK. Doyle and UK were ~ 25% higher with a discount from Quantum. Was your pricing pretty close from all? I was planning to call Evolution (i think that is Halsey now) also but the sailmaker is in Mystic so I am hestitant to have the sailmaker that far.

      Also, I see that you selected at 155% vs 140%. do you use a furling 155%?

      Thanks, a little early to think about but I have an # of things to upgrade for this season.

      thanks,
      conrad

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 27, 2010
        My new genoa  Doyle describes as : 155% AP #1 LPT fiberlay, kevlar mylar laminate with carbon fiber load path tapes.  The price was a little lower than the same sail size and construction from UK Halsey and quite a bit lower than from Quantum.
        I chose Doyle because I know the sailmaker who used to be the owner of the UK loft in Detroit where we bought our first suit of sails back in 1996. (We've had new mains and genoa's from other since then as well).

        Have you or others had any trouble with the paint peeling from the Bomar portlight window frames.  Some of mine have peeled badly and others are fine.   This year we are storing inside heated and I have removed all the cabin windows, stripped them and I am having them AllGriped.  In stripping them, I found half, the ones whose paint failed, had no etch primer applied to the raw aluminum before they were powder coated.  Also on those, the paint came off very easy.  On the other half, after stripping them I found etc primer and the paint was very hard to remove with stripper.   I called Bomar and wondered if they would re paint them for me if I paid shipping both ways.  They told me in no uncertain terms it was not their problem and no they would not help in any way, even if I paid for the paint, labor and shipping.   Basically, I got the "go to h---" treatment.  There is no question, some of the windows were not painted correctly, but Bomar would not own up to it.  I know it was years ago, but the failure started years ago as well.  I have just been touching them up until even that would not work any longer and I was in a spot that had inside heated storage so I could do the job right.
        Bill Stellin    Jaywalker hull # 6

        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
        From: cdsail@...
        Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:40:23 +0000