Re: shower sump issue

  • rersk
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
      The shower sump is a maddening problem. Here is what I've found after enriching the Jabsco company several times. When you clean the shower sump strainer, you lose the water prime for the pump. As the pumps age, they don't do well pumping air. To re-prime the pump: put a couple of quarts of water in the sump, fill the sink with water above the sump pump outlet. Run the pump intermittantly for a few seconds at a time. You will see bubbles coming out of the sump outlet in the sink. Each time you stop the pump, the water in the sink will back down the sump pump hose, replacing the air. Finally you should see the sump water start to fill the sink and you've re-established the prime. If this doesn't work. Remove the pump from beneath the sink. Check the hose between the sump and the pump by blowing into it. If it's blocked you'll have to work on clearing it. Remove the pump head by unscrewing the long slender bolts securing it to the pump body. You'll find a rubber diaphragm inside the pump head. The diaphragm can dry out with age and/or disuse. This will cause tiny air leaks that compromise the pump's suction. Lubricate the diaphragm edges with silicone grease and re-assemble, tightening the pump head firmly. Now re-install and re-prime. The shower sump may need some coaxing, but should finally settle into energetic operation.