engine control at Edson pedestal

  • Conrad Deeter
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2010

      I have a 2000 J42 and the single handle control on the pedestal is very stiff in moving through the motions of forward, neutral and reverse.  As a result relatively quick engagement of either forward of reverse causes a jolt because the engine is starting to rev before the transmission engages.  If the handle is moved slowly the transmission engages and no problem.

      It seems I have two problems:

      • The mechanism is very stiff – I took off the compass and could view the mechanism and it seemed to move properly but very stiff
      • The engagement of the transmission either needs adjustment on the cable or it is the mechanism that is the problem

      Anyone have a similar problem?  Is so what was your fix?

      Thanks for your help again

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
        Try loosening the friction screw.
        Jaywalker

        Sent from my iPod

        On Sep 7, 2010, at 2:57 AM, "Conrad Deeter" <cdsail@...> wrote:

        I have a 2000 J42 and the single handle control on the pedestal is very stiff in moving through the motions of forward, neutral and reverse.  As a result relatively quick engagement of either forward of reverse causes a jolt because the engine is starting to rev before the transmission engages.  If the handle is moved slowly the transmission engages and no problem.

        It seems I have two problems:

        • The mechanism is very stiff – I took off the compass and could view the mechanism and it seemed to move properly but very stiff
        • The engagement of the transmission either needs adjustment on the cable or it is the mechanism that is the problem

        Anyone have a similar problem?  Is so what was your fix?

        Thanks for your help again

        Conrad

      • Conrad Deeter
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010

          Where is the friction screw… on the handle or on the cables or on the transmission?

          Thanks, by the way I saw you in the Queen’s Cup this year.  Good race.  I was racing on another boat in a different class.

          Conrad

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010

            I think I saw the friction screw – is it located inside the rubber stopper that holds the plastic push pin for neutral?  I did not loosen it but that would be an easy answer to the stiffness.  Now I need to understand why the transmission seems to engage late.

            Conrad

            Another J

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
              Look at the control cable these can become rusty and sticky.

              Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:06 PM

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
                My system is Whitlock and the access is through the shroud. On Edson I think you have to go inside under the compass. Re Queens Cup it was a good race. We raced double handed and won the division.

                Sent from my iPod

                Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:06 PM

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010

                  Will do…. Are you referring to the control cables that run the forward, reverse and engine speed?

                  Look at the control cable these can become rusty and sticky.

                  Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:06 PM

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010

                    I have the CDI which I think was whitlock until Edson brought them.  I agree you need to view under the compass but there is no friction screw inside.    I am talking to Edson again.

                    Conrad

                    Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:06 PM

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
                      I think Whitlock is owned by Lewmar  if it is Whitlock the access is behind a small plug just forward of the shifter handle on the outside of the shroud.

                      Sent from my iPod

                      Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:06 PM