Sails

  • Bob Fox
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010
      I've had North Sails, in Jan of 07 i went with a Marathon 3DL fully batten main  the leech of the sail has completely delaminated  the sail has less than 5000 miles in it.

      I also had an older Marathon 3DL #3 that completely disintegrated in less than 20 knots of wind. The seems just came apart.

      North has refused to offer any help.  i paid 7500 for the main.

      I've lost confidence. I'm not willing to buy another one for fear this is a bigger issue.

      I'm thinking about switching to Quantum Fx

      Just curious if any if you have had similar experiences or experience with Quantum

      Thanks!

      Bob Fox
      Schematic #18

    • Dave Moore
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010
        Bob, no experience with Quantum, but very positive experience with Hood Vecktron sails. High quality, fast and very durable sails at a fair price. Excellent customer service.
        Best Regards,
        Dave Moore
        Liberty, J/40, #11

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010

          We’ve used both North 3DL 600 and Quantum Fusion jibs and mains on our J/35. All the sails were raced hard and in gale conditions (40 knt+). The laminate sails had a racing life of 3 years but were still fine for cruising after 5-6 years. All the North 3DLs with a one-sided taffeta covering and all seemed to do better than the Quantum sails without it. In the end, I liked the North 3DLs better than the Quantum. We’ve just ordered a new North Marathon  3DL 400  #1 140% jib and will get a full batten main in the Fall, so we’ll find out how long they last on a J/42.

          Rod Deyo

          Northern Lights, J/42 (Hull #61)

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010

            I bought a new Quantum Main in October, $7,300. My criteria was heavy as I went off shore passage and cruising, Newport RI to Caribbean for winter. It is well made for offshore but mis-measured. The hoist was 11 short, the sheeting angle too long so you cannot go upwind with the dodger up as the boom crushes it and the foot was 8 inches short. They did  sew a panel onto the foot to make the hoist longer, it marginally fixed the problem,  it just does not look right. I had good luck with an asym from Quantum and very good luck with Carbon Fiber racing sails from Z Sails in Stamford CT. I was thinking of going North for another main. Sometimes seems the small lofts cater and take more care of you.  Tony Affinity #26.

          • dick.sanford@partnerre.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 30, 2010
            I took delivery on Wednesday of a new Quantum full batten carbon/technora
            molded mainsail with taffeta on both sides. It's a thing of beauty,
            weighing in at around 85 pounds or so, I guess. I had the sailmaker (Steve
            Thurston from the Bristol, RI loft) on board we were both very pleased with
            the result. He told me that they use a considerable amount of fungicide in
            the process and to date the have no issues with mold or mildew with this
            laminate. The sail was built in South Africa and is loose footed with a
            velcro strap at the outhaul, this seems to make the sail shape much easier
            to discern, at least for me, and small adjustments to the outhaul produce
            noticeable results.

            Here is what the purchase order said :
            One-piece membrane construction featuring custom designed 16000 dpi FUSION
            MCTT 6040
            SmartSail® integrated fiber matrix of high modulus fibers sandwiched
            between Polyester UV
            Taffetas. Assembled utilizing aerospace quality lamination techniques and
            thermo-set adhesives.

            I've used this particular loft for over twenty years and they have always
            stood behind their work and their product. The price point on this sail was
            about 25% less than a comparable tape drive product from UK.

            I think I need to add "putting a new main on my J42" to the list of
            happiest days in a boatowners life, it's like Christmas in July.

            Dick Sanford
            truant #55

            Bob Fox
            <bfoxj42@...
            m> To
            Sent by: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com"
            j4x-owners-group@ <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com cc
            "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com"
            <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
            07/29/2010 11:12 Subject
            AM [j4x-owners-group] Sails

            Please respond to
            j4x-owners-group@
            yahoogroups.com

            I've had North Sails, in Jan of 07 i went with a Marathon 3DL fully batten
            main the leech of the sail has completely delaminated the sail has less
            than 5000 miles in it.

            I also had an older Marathon 3DL #3 that completely disintegrated in less
            than 20 knots of wind. The seems just came apart.

            North has refused to offer any help. i paid 7500 for the main.

            I've lost confidence. I'm not willing to buy another one for fear this is a
            bigger issue.

            I'm thinking about switching to Quantum Fx

            Just curious if any if you have had similar experiences or experience with
            Quantum

            Thanks!

            Bob Fox
            Schematic #18

            DISCLAIMER: This e-mail contains information solely intended for named
            recipients and is confidential and proprietary to PartnerRe. If you are not
            one of the intended recipients of this message, you must not read, use or
            disseminate the information in it and should notify the sender by replying
            to this message and deleting it afterwards from your mail system. Please be
            aware that unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this communication
            is prohibited.