Push-button latches

  • jadeus50777
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 27, 2010
      Does anybody know the replacement for the metal-body pushbutton latches that hold the drawers shut? I have several that have broken and have had a tough time finding a direct replacement part. I found a Sea Dog version with a plastic body but the button is not flush. Mahy thanks, Robert
    • Reed_Joe
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27, 2010
        Re: [j4x-owners-group] Push-button latches The cabinet hardware for J-42 # 12 is :   Hafele
           Lock mechanism           part number: 211.60.609
            Knob                     part number: 229.10.320
            Rosette      (13mm)          part number: 229.11-310

        Rosette     (19mm)          part number: 229.11.320

        Joe

        Joe's Adventures
        Keep It Simple Cruising

        Capt.
        Joseph W. Reed

            Cell:      (410) 353-4254
            E-Mail:   HST-JReed@...
            Web:     http://web.me.com/joseph.w.reed/Keep_It_Simple_Cruising

        From: jadeus50777 <robert@...>
        Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:52:37 -0000
        To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Push-button latches

        Does anybody know the replacement for the metal-body pushbutton latches that hold the drawers shut? I have several that have broken and have had a tough time finding a direct replacement part. I found a Sea Dog version with a plastic body but the button is not flush. Mahy thanks, Robert

      • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27, 2010
          Robert,

          Vendor:  Pearson Composites - 401-247-4038 (just told what type of boat we had).

          We just purchased a 1/2 dozen for our Hawaii trip.

          Kim
          Tiki J, J/42 #33

              E-Mail:   HST-JReed@comcast. net
              Web:     http://web.me. com/joseph. w.reed/Keep_ It_Simple_ Cruising

          From: jadeus50777 <robert@thuss. com>
          Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:52:37 -0000
          To: <j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com>

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 28, 2010

            Try contacting TPI 401-247-1050

            Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
            IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile lifecycle management solution
            Download a free trial:
            http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
            IBM Rational software,
            coyneb@..., 720-396-6297
            Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

            Inactive hide details for "jadeus50777" ---07/27/2010 03:53:15 PM---Does anybody know the replacement for the metal-body pushbu"jadeus50777" ---07/27/2010 03:53:15 PM---Does anybody know the replacement for the metal-body pushbutton latches that hold the drawers shut?

            "jadeus50777" <robert@...>

            07/27/2010 03:53 PM

            [j4x-owners-group] Push-button latches

            Sent by:

            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010
              Perfect - thanks very much! For anybody else who needs it, they have an online store at www.hafele.com - regards, Robert

              --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, Reed_Joe <hst-jreed@...> wrote:

              > The cabinet hardware for J-42 # 12 is : Hafele
              > Lock mechanism part number: 211.60.609
              > Knob part number: 229.10.320
              > Rosette (13mm) part number: 229.11-310
              > Rosette (19mm) part number: 229.11.320
              >
              > Joe
              >

              > Joe's Adventures
              > Keep It Simple Cruising
              >
              > Capt. Joseph W. Reed
              >
              > Cell: (410) 353-4254
              > E-Mail: HST-JReed@...
              > Web: http://web.me.com/joseph.w.reed/Keep_It_Simple_Cruising
              >

              > From: jadeus50777 <robert@...>
              > Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:52:37 -0000
              > To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Push-button latches
              >

              > Does anybody know the replacement for the metal-body pushbutton latches that
              > hold the drawers shut? I have several that have broken and have had a tough
              > time finding a direct replacement part. I found a Sea Dog version with a
              > plastic body but the button is not flush. Mahy thanks, Robert

            • Bob Fox
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010
                I've had North Sails, in Jan of 07 i went with a Marathon 3DL fully batten main  the leech of the sail has completely delaminated  the sail has less than 5000 miles in it.

                I also had an older Marathon 3DL #3 that completely disintegrated in less than 20 knots of wind. The seems just came apart.

                North has refused to offer any help.  i paid 7500 for the main.

                I've lost confidence. I'm not willing to buy another one for fear this is a bigger issue.

                I'm thinking about switching to Quantum Fx

                Just curious if any if you have had similar experiences or experience with Quantum

                Thanks!

                Bob Fox
                Schematic #18

              • Dave Moore
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010
                  Bob, no experience with Quantum, but very positive experience with Hood Vecktron sails. High quality, fast and very durable sails at a fair price. Excellent customer service.
                  Best Regards,
                  Dave Moore
                  Liberty, J/40, #11

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010

                    We’ve used both North 3DL 600 and Quantum Fusion jibs and mains on our J/35. All the sails were raced hard and in gale conditions (40 knt+). The laminate sails had a racing life of 3 years but were still fine for cruising after 5-6 years. All the North 3DLs with a one-sided taffeta covering and all seemed to do better than the Quantum sails without it. In the end, I liked the North 3DLs better than the Quantum. We’ve just ordered a new North Marathon  3DL 400  #1 140% jib and will get a full batten main in the Fall, so we’ll find out how long they last on a J/42.

                    Rod Deyo

                    Northern Lights, J/42 (Hull #61)

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010

                      I bought a new Quantum Main in October, $7,300. My criteria was heavy as I went off shore passage and cruising, Newport RI to Caribbean for winter. It is well made for offshore but mis-measured. The hoist was 11 short, the sheeting angle too long so you cannot go upwind with the dodger up as the boom crushes it and the foot was 8 inches short. They did  sew a panel onto the foot to make the hoist longer, it marginally fixed the problem,  it just does not look right. I had good luck with an asym from Quantum and very good luck with Carbon Fiber racing sails from Z Sails in Stamford CT. I was thinking of going North for another main. Sometimes seems the small lofts cater and take more care of you.  Tony Affinity #26.

                    • dick.sanford@partnerre.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 30, 2010
                      I took delivery on Wednesday of a new Quantum full batten carbon/technora
                      molded mainsail with taffeta on both sides. It's a thing of beauty,
                      weighing in at around 85 pounds or so, I guess. I had the sailmaker (Steve
                      Thurston from the Bristol, RI loft) on board we were both very pleased with
                      the result. He told me that they use a considerable amount of fungicide in
                      the process and to date the have no issues with mold or mildew with this
                      laminate. The sail was built in South Africa and is loose footed with a
                      velcro strap at the outhaul, this seems to make the sail shape much easier
                      to discern, at least for me, and small adjustments to the outhaul produce
                      noticeable results.

                      Here is what the purchase order said :
                      One-piece membrane construction featuring custom designed 16000 dpi FUSION
                      MCTT 6040
                      SmartSail® integrated fiber matrix of high modulus fibers sandwiched
                      between Polyester UV
                      Taffetas. Assembled utilizing aerospace quality lamination techniques and
                      thermo-set adhesives.

                      I've used this particular loft for over twenty years and they have always
                      stood behind their work and their product. The price point on this sail was
                      about 25% less than a comparable tape drive product from UK.

                      I think I need to add "putting a new main on my J42" to the list of
                      happiest days in a boatowners life, it's like Christmas in July.

                      Dick Sanford
                      truant #55

                      Bob Fox
                      <bfoxj42@...
                      m> To
                      Sent by: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com"
                      j4x-owners-group@ <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com cc
                      "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com"
                      <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                      07/29/2010 11:12 Subject
                      AM [j4x-owners-group] Sails

                      Please respond to
                      j4x-owners-group@
                      yahoogroups.com

                      I've had North Sails, in Jan of 07 i went with a Marathon 3DL fully batten
                      main the leech of the sail has completely delaminated the sail has less
                      than 5000 miles in it.

                      I also had an older Marathon 3DL #3 that completely disintegrated in less
                      than 20 knots of wind. The seems just came apart.

                      North has refused to offer any help. i paid 7500 for the main.

                      I've lost confidence. I'm not willing to buy another one for fear this is a
                      bigger issue.

                      I'm thinking about switching to Quantum Fx

                      Just curious if any if you have had similar experiences or experience with
                      Quantum

                      Thanks!

                      Bob Fox
                      Schematic #18

                      DISCLAIMER: This e-mail contains information solely intended for named
                      recipients and is confidential and proprietary to PartnerRe. If you are not
                      one of the intended recipients of this message, you must not read, use or
                      disseminate the information in it and should notify the sender by replying
                      to this message and deleting it afterwards from your mail system. Please be
                      aware that unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this communication
                      is prohibited.