Re: Any ideas for how to close off the hawse slot on a J/42 on passage?

  • Tom Keffer
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 15, 2010
      Here's what I finally came up with:

      http://www.threefools.org/velocity/Projects/HawsePipePlugs

      -tk

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 15, 2010

        Offshore the bow of our J/42 Amigo VI is nearly always awash. We have installed the factory rubber plugs that go in the holes on the hatch for the anchor locker. If I recall correctly those holes are for the spinnaker sheets and guys when using a snuffer - although we ourselves have never used them at all.

        The windlass hole also can let in a tremendous amount of water. So when we go offshore, we plug the windlass hole with a squash ball and then seal it with PlayDoo. We then wrap the windlass in plastic and seal it all off with duct tape. Then we use duct tape to seal the hatch around all the edges. I should add that we first pack the locker with fenders and sometimes beach balls to reduce the volume.

        Unfortunately water still gets in there and I am sure it is from the drain hole. I think the water is forced in quickly as the bow crashes through the waves and then it drains slower out the same hole. Net result is that the anchor locker still has a lot of water at times. I keep wondering about plugging the drain hole but am hesitant to risk it.

        All suggestions welcomed!

        Bernie
        J/42 #3 Amigo VI

        Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
        IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
        Download a free trial:
        http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
        IBM Rational software,
        coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
        Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

        Inactive hide details for "Tom Keffer" ---07/15/2010 07:55:22 PM---Here's what I finally came up with:  http://www.threefools.o"Tom Keffer" ---07/15/2010 07:55:22 PM---Here's what I finally came up with: http://www.threefools.org/velocity/Projects/HawsePipePlugs

        "Tom Keffer" <keffer@...>

        07/15/2010 07:55 PM

        [j4x-owners-group] Re: Any ideas for how to close off the hawse slot on a J/42 on passage?

        Sent by:

      • pkr@midcoast.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 16, 2010
          We all have the same problem with the anchor locker. The plugs, and
          sealing off the windless crossing the Atlantic were a great help. >
          Last week I had a rough North Sea crossing from Norway to Scotland. I
          installed a tank sensor on the forward holding tank this spring although I
          rarely use the tank. I was surprised to find the tank completely filled
          through the vent by the rail on the port side from pounding into the seas.
          I pumped the tank dry and in refilled. It seemed to empty again when I
          was healed over in calmer water. I would suggest also that plugging the
          holding tank vent might help keep that tank empty.

          Paul Rogers
          J 42 number 38

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 16, 2010

            Excellent suggestion to plug the holding tank vent offshore. We too have noticed that the tank fills offshore and sometimes even during coastal sailing. I thought it might be siphoning back thru the discharge seacock because the vented loop would be so low when heeled on starboard tack. Since we don't use the forward head offshore then I think we'll also close that.

            Bernie
            Amigo VI

            Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
            IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
            Download a free trial:
            http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
            IBM Rational software,
            coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
            Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

            Inactive hide details for pkr---07/16/2010 12:22:29 PM---We all have the same problem with the anchor locker.  The plugs, and spkr---07/16/2010 12:22:29 PM---We all have the same problem with the anchor locker. The plugs, and sealing off the windless crossi

            pkr@...

            07/16/2010 12:22 PM

            Re: [j4x-owners-group] Re: Any ideas for how to close off the hawse slot on a J/42 on passage?

            keffer@...>

            > To:
            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

            > Date: 07/15/2010 07:55 PM
            >
            > Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re: Any ideas for how to close off the
            > hawse slot on a J/42 on passage?
            >
            > Sent by:
            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

            > Here's what I finally came up with:

            http://www.threefools.org/velocity/Projects/HawsePipePlugs

            > -tk
            >
            > --- In
            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Keffer" <keffer@...> wrote:

            >> I'm thinking of Bill & Kathy's experience on J/42 #2, Jarana, off the
            > shore of California where the anchor locker filled up with so much water,
            > it found its way through a conduit and onto their forward berth! While
            > one
            > could install a bigger drain at the bottom of the locker, it seems that
            > the
            > obvious solution is to stop the ingress.
            >>
            >> I'm wondering if anyone has an elegant solution on how to do this? A
            > nylon plug with a latch on the bottom? Duct tape? A rag? :-)
            >>
            >> -tk

          • svJarana
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 19, 2010
              We successfully plugged the holes by gluing in 1.5 " closed cell foam plugs with silicone. Works fine. We haven't plugged the windlass hole, but we haven't pounded to weather much since Oregan. Ha, how about that!? Anyhow, we haven't had water come in the boat as before.

              The water tank vents problem (originally reported by either Stellin or True Love) where seawater could siphon into watertanks.:

              I joined the two vent hoses at a tee valve that is kept closed except when filling tanks. I also added an anti siphon loop inside the boat to allow air back into the tanks.

              btw: for short inshore hops between marinas (on Puget Sound), it's really handy to stow the mooring lines in the anchor locker by placing the eyes of the mooring lines over the windlass and leading the standing part leading through the holes to the the coils laying below on top of the fenders. Much easier for my wife than wrestling them off hooks, or diving to where they've fallen to the bottom of the locker.

              --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Keffer" <keffer@...> wrote:

              > Here's what I finally came up with:
              >
              > http://www.threefools.org/velocity/Projects/HawsePipePlugs
              >
              > -tk
              >
              > --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Keffer" <keffer@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm thinking of Bill & Kathy's experience on J/42 #2, Jarana, off the shore of California where the anchor locker filled up with so much water, it found its way through a conduit and onto their forward berth! While one could install a bigger drain at the bottom of the locker, it seems that the obvious solution is to stop the ingress.
              > >
              > > I'm wondering if anyone has an elegant solution on how to do this? A nylon plug with a latch on the bottom? Duct tape? A rag? :-)
              > >
              > > -tk

            • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 27, 2010
                All,
                I've just got off the phone with my return captain who is about 150 miles off the shore of Hawaii with our J/42 #33 Tiki J.  He asked if we had any recomendations about how to handle 1/2" play with the top of the rudder post.

                We just left the boat in Hawaii after racing to to Oahu last week.  We inspected the rudder bearing on arrival and noticed some play, but nothing my experienced crew took as a concern.  We had heard a clunk when turning the wheel reversing directions, caused by the gear at the top of the pedistal (the angled gear that connects to the vertical shaft going down the pedistal), we inspected and determined it was just minor play between the gears and greased them.  We had a new steering system installed from Edson almost 2 years ago and had not had an issue with numerous miles off shore in California.

                I'm going to pull the manuals I made PDF files of and see if there are any adjustments, I figured I'd shoot this off before everyone was asleep.  I plan to call jboats in the AM.

                Any advise or experience with bearings is appreciated.  The captain is contacting the return fleet via SSB to ask for advise from other return skippers.

                Thanks for any feedback,
                Scott Dickinson
                Tiki J, J/42 #33.

                Oh - in response the recent post about drawer pulls... I had previuosly purchased replacement latch push buttons - just 4 weeks ago from Pearson, they have sets in stock.  All I did was say what model and year my boat was and they knw exactly what I had on the boat.

              • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 27, 2010
                  I just got a call back from Tiki J - they contacted a jboat dealer who advised what they may not have an issue.  Please bear in mind, it was hard for me to hear the first communication, so it may be less of an issue than 1/2" play (maybe I mis-understood).

                  I found the online post from Jay Walker on their bearing replacement, thanks, it helped me understand the construction a bit more.

                  Thanks
                  Scott
                  Tiki J J/42 #33

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010

                    Where did you find the factory rubber plugs?

                    Conrad

                    J42  Another J

                    coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762

                    "Tom Keffer" <keffer@gorge. net>

                    j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

                    07/15/2010 07:55 PM

                    [j4x-owners- group] Re: Any ideas for how to close off the hawse slot on a J/42 on passage?

                    Sent by:

                    j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

                    Here's what I finally came up with:

                    http://www.threefoo ls.org/velocity/ Projects/ HawsePipePlugs

                    -tk

                    --- In
                    j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com, "Tom Keffer" <keffer@...> wrote:

                    > I'm thinking of Bill & Kathy's experience on J/42 #2, Jarana, off the
                    w:st="on"> shore of California where the anchor locker filled up with so much water, it found its way through a conduit and onto their forward berth! While one could install a bigger drain at the bottom of the locker, it seems that the obvious solution is to stop the ingress.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010

                      We got them almost 10 years ago from the TPI parts department. Try them...they may still be able to get them for you. 401-247-1050 Rhode Island

                      Bernie
                      J/42 Amigo VI hull #3

                      Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                      IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile lifecycle management solution
                      Download a free trial:
                      http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
                      IBM Rational software,
                      coyneb@..., 720-396-6297
                      Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                      Inactive hide details for "Conrad Deeter" ---09/07/2010 03:06:40 AM---Where did you find the factory rubber plugs?"Conrad Deeter" ---09/07/2010 03:06:40 AM---Where did you find the factory rubber plugs?

                      "Conrad Deeter" <cdsail@...>

                      <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

                      09/07/2010 03:06 AM

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
                      I got mine from TPI years ago also. If I recall it was not a stock item. They had to mould them for me.
                      Bill Stellin. Jaywalker

                      Sent from my iPod