RE: [j4x-owners-group] Re: additional deck organizers and rope clutches

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2010
      Like many of you, I added a fourth clutch on the starboard side and a single on the port side about one foot and slightly offset from the set of three already there.  I use this new one for one of the reefing lines.  Also, I added a clutch lying flat against the mast just about at boom height for the jib halyard.  I continue the halyard back to the coach top so we can tension it with a winch and store the tail in the bag. this works great and even makes raising the lower the sail easier because control is now at the mast instead of back in the cockpit.  One person can do everything now and it is a clutch that is seldom used so being out of the way is better.
      Buy a clutch that can be mounted on its side so as to minimize the protrusion on the mast.
      Bill Stellin    Jaywalker    hull #6

      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      From: cdsail@...
      Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:18:44 -0700
      Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] Re: additional deck organizers and rope clutches

      good.

      conrad

      Message 2 of 10 , May 11, 2011

        I am finally adding the new rope clutches and plan to do as you did... add doubles to port and starboard ahead and to the side slightly so that I can get a fairlead and get the outhaul, all reefing lines back to cockpit – not for slippage..    The Schaefer stacked 3 worked great... no new holes and added 3 line managers to each side.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 12, 2011
          Another solution is to use a side mounted clutch on the mast just for the use of the jib haylard. Run the tail back through the line organizer and then you can tension it with the winch. Just be careful of an override.
          This is much easier than mounting on the deck and removes clutter.
          Bill Stellin

          Sent from my iPod