additional deck organizers and rope clutches

  • cdsail@ameritech.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 5, 2010
      I do have one question -- has anyone added stacking deck organizers and more rope clutches for spin, reefing lines, AS tack line, Cunningham, etc.? If it was done how did they create space for the increased # of rope clutches and did you just stack the deck org.

      conrad
      J 42
    • ROBERTM
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 5, 2010
        I add clutches in front of the clutches on port side for the 2 mainsail and the headsail because of slippage. Racers often do that because of loads. Work find for us!

        --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "cdsail@..." <cdsail@...> wrote:

        > I do have one question -- has anyone added stacking deck organizers and more rope clutches for spin, reefing lines, AS tack line, Cunningham, etc.? If it was done how did they create space for the increased # of rope clutches and did you just stack the deck org.
        >
        > conrad
        > J 42

      • HST-JReed
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 5, 2010
          I have 5 clutches on each side, a three & double.  The doubles are for reef 1 & 2.  When flying AS use port storboard Reef 2 clutch for the AS track.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 5, 2010, at 9:45 AM, "ROBERTM" <rob.moore@...> wrote:

          I add clutches in front of the clutches on port side for the 2 mainsail and the headsail because of slippage. Racers often do that because of loads. Work find for us!

          --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "cdsail@..." <cdsail@...> wrote:

          > I do have one question -- has anyone added stacking deck organizers and more rope clutches for spin, reefing lines, AS tack line, Cunningham, etc.? If it was done how did they create space for the increased # of rope clutches and did you just stack the deck org.
          >
          > conrad
          > J 42

        • Tom Keffer
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 5, 2010
            Hi, conrad,

            I added a clutch on the starboard side for a second reef by moving the existing set of 3 clutches slightly to port. This gave just enough room to squeeze in a 4th clutch.

            Unfortunately, the same trick does not work on the port side because the clutches are located right over a bulkhead, making it difficult to move them. In this case, I did what Robert did, and added a clutch just forward of the existing 3 clutches.

            For deck organizers, I switched to stacked Harkens, giving a total of 4 sheaves each side.

            For details, see http://www.threefools.org/velocity/Projects/secondreef.htm

            Cheers,

            -tk

            --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "cdsail@..." <cdsail@...> wrote:

            > I do have one question -- has anyone added stacking deck organizers and more rope clutches for spin, reefing lines, AS tack line, Cunningham, etc.? If it was done how did they create space for the increased # of rope clutches and did you just stack the deck org.
            >
            > conrad
            > J 42

          • Conrad Deeter
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 5, 2010
              great information... that is the plan then.    So the liner inside is realativley easy to remove to get access on the starboad side at least?  It looks like you need to take down the wood strip with the hand hold on it or maybe just inside that strip.

              I added a clutch on the starboard side for a second reef by moving the existing set of 3 clutches slightly to port. This gave just enough room to squeeze in a 4th clutch.

              Unfortunately, the same trick does not work on the port side because the clutches are located right over a bulkhead, making it difficult to move them. In this case, I did what Robert did, and added a clutch just forward of the existing 3 clutches.

              For deck organizers, I switched to stacked Harkens, giving a total of 4 sheaves each side.

              For details, see http://www.threefools.org/velocity/Projects/secondreef.htm

              Cheers,

              -tk

              --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "cdsail@..." <cdsail@...> wrote:

              > I do have one question -- has anyone added stacking deck organizers and more rope clutches for spin, reefing lines, AS tack line, Cunningham, etc.? If it was done how did they create space for the increased # of rope clutches and did you just stack the deck org.
              >
              > conrad
              > J 42

            • Tom Keffer
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 5, 2010
                It is not necessary to completely remove the headliner. It is flexible enough that you can get a hand in there to do the tasks you'll need to do if you just remove the wood strip, and some trim from the stb'd aft cabin door. No need to remove the handhold.

                -tk

                --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, Conrad Deeter <cdsail@...> wrote:

                > great information... that is the plan then. So the liner inside is realativley easy to remove to get access on the starboad side at least?  It looks like you need to take down the wood strip with the hand hold on it or maybe just inside that strip.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Conrad
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Conrad Deeter
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 5, 2010
                  good.

                  conrad

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6, 2010
                    Like many of you, I added a fourth clutch on the starboard side and a single on the port side about one foot and slightly offset from the set of three already there.  I use this new one for one of the reefing lines.  Also, I added a clutch lying flat against the mast just about at boom height for the jib halyard.  I continue the halyard back to the coach top so we can tension it with a winch and store the tail in the bag. this works great and even makes raising the lower the sail easier because control is now at the mast instead of back in the cockpit.  One person can do everything now and it is a clutch that is seldom used so being out of the way is better.
                    Buy a clutch that can be mounted on its side so as to minimize the protrusion on the mast.
                    Bill Stellin    Jaywalker    hull #6

                    To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                    From: cdsail@...
                    Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:18:44 -0700

                    good.

                    conrad

                    It is not necessary to completely remove the headliner. It is flexible enough that you can get a hand in there to do the tasks you'll need to do if you just remove the wood strip, and some trim from the stb'd aft cabin door. No need to remove the handhold.

                    -tk

                    --- In j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com, Conrad Deeter <cdsail@...> wrote:

                    > great information. .. that is the plan then. So the liner inside is realativley easy to remove to get access on the starboad side at least?  It looks like you need to take down the wood strip with the hand hold on it or maybe just inside that strip.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Conrad

                  • Conrad Deeter
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 11 7:23 PM

                      I am finally adding the new rope clutches and plan to do as you did... add doubles to port and starboard ahead and to the side slightly so that I can get a fairlead and get the outhaul, all reefing lines back to cockpit – not for slippage..    The Schaefer stacked 3 worked great... no new holes and added 3 line managers to each side.

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 12 7:19 AM
                        Another solution is to use a side mounted clutch on the mast just for the use of the jib haylard. Run the tail back through the line organizer and then you can tension it with the winch. Just be careful of an override.
                        This is much easier than mounting on the deck and removes clutter.
                        Bill Stellin

                        Sent from my iPod