To start things off: installing a freestanding radar pole on a J/42

  • tkeffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2007

      Recently, I installed a radar on my J/42, Velocity. I decided to try a freestanding pole because I've always thought the struts of a deck mounted pole were ugly and got in the way. Seaview set me up nicely with a 4" pole.

      Here's what it looked like when finished:

      I installed it through the deck and into a "bury tube" laminated to the hull below. You can see the bury tube in the picture:

      More details at http://www.threefools.org/velocity/Projects/RadarPole/radarpole.htm.

      -tk
    • tkeffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2007
        LOL! Exactly the sort of discussion that should be on the group site!
        Hope you don't mind, but I've CC'd the group.

        The pole does not sway around at all. If you push hard on the top, it
        will budge about an inch or two. The pole is thicker than most (4"
        instead of the more standard 3"), plus the aluminum is about 3/16"
        thick. I imagine the "resonant frequency" must be pretty high, so it
        don't think it will come into resonance with the boat motion. The top
        of the pole is about 7 1/2 feet off the deck, but then there's the
        mount and radome on top of that. I don't think it's necessary to make
        the pole so tall. You could probably lop off 6 inches or so.

        I've now had one offshore experience with it: Puget Sound, around Cape
        Flattery, down to Portland. Sees were the usual 6' swells. Worked great!

        -tk

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 17, 2007
          Hi TK,
          I'm glad we are back on line because I glean a tremendous amount of
          knowledge from owner groups for everything we own, and also everything
          I work on here at the shop.
          A couple of trips ago on "Sandpiper", on a beam to close reach across
          the Straits of Georgia, in a squall and 6 foot confused seas, our
          autopilot linear actuator mount bracket, that comes stock with the
          electronic group option from TPI, let go with a big bang. We did not
          have the A/P engaged but the seas had tossed something inside the aft
          lazarette from where your pole is mounted across to the port side,
          wedged itself there, and then broke off the glassed-in mount. The
          mount is 2 pieces of wood molded to the transom. Believe it or not,
          there were two 1/4" beads of epoxy on it with no reinforcement whatsoever.
          When we got back to Sidney, I made a project out of re-fastening it
          down with lots of epoxy and woven glass cloth layers.
          Check yours while you are down there to see if it is a sturdier
          installation than "Sandpiper's"
          We have the ball-end strut style Radar pole. I have had to lay it down
          3 times when we have had to haul the boat for scheduled and
          un-scheduled maintenance. Sometimes we just can't get a Travelift
          large enough dimensionally to clear the pole, even though it has
          enough capacity to lift the J42.
          Your strut-less installation is a lot cleaner. I have stern squat
          questions that I'll have to start another thread on. Thanks, DAS
        • tkeffer
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2008
            --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "davidshapiro49" <dashapiro@...> wrote:
            > A couple of trips ago on "Sandpiper", on a beam to close reach across
            > the Straits of Georgia, in a squall and 6 foot confused seas, our
            > autopilot linear actuator mount bracket, that comes stock with the
            > electronic group option from TPI, let go with a big bang. We did not
            > have the A/P engaged but the seas had tossed something inside the aft
            > lazarette from where your pole is mounted across to the port side,
            > wedged itself there, and then broke off the glassed-in mount. The
            > mount is 2 pieces of wood molded to the transom. Believe it or not,
            > there were two 1/4" beads of epoxy on it with no reinforcement whatsoever.
            > When we got back to Sidney, I made a project out of re-fastening it
            > down with lots of epoxy and woven glass cloth layers.
            > Check yours while you are down there to see if it is a sturdier
            > installation than "Sandpiper's"

            Heading your warning, I took a look at how my autopilot ram is mounted (a B&G T-2). It seems to be completely different, and is instead bolted on to a bulwark oriented in the same direction as the ram and tabbed to the hull. Looks plenty strong...