shower sump issue

  • pineapplegirlc320
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
      Hi J-4x folks,

      We have J-42 #33, Tiki J. Both shower sumps have decided to stop working! The pumps run but no water comes through. We checked the strainers, what else are we missing?

      thanks!

      Jennifer
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010

        Jennifer, I had a similar problem last year with the aft head. I even ran a clothes hanger through the hoses (something you might try) and then replaced the pump and it did not work.  Finally I removed the hoses and cleaned out  caked up debris and it works fine. Tony  AFFINITY

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
          Try disconnecting the intake hose from the sump to the pump and then put a short hose on the intake in a bucket of water and make sure the pumps are working. If they are , then there must be a blockage somewhere in the intake or exhaust line.  Unusual for both pumps to stop working at the same time.  Maybe there is scale and junk in the line that flaked off during layup and is now blocking the  hose or intake at the pump end.  First, though, you must make sure the pumps can actually suck something.
          Bill Stellin   Jaywalker

          To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
            Also, make sure the intake hose clamp is tight at the pump and it is not just sucking air. There might be a break in the intake hose between the sump and pump and thereby just sucking air.
            Eliminate the possibility  the pump is defective by testing that first as mentioned in my first answer.
            Bill

            To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
              Hi Jennifer,

              Shower sump pumps can become clogged by a delicious combination of soap, hair, and other slimy things.  I never use mine, which renders them as useless as if they were clogged.  If possible, some disassemble and yucky cleaning may be in order.

              There are switches for these pumps on my boat, one in each head.  They each have a fuse.  They warrant checking.   If they both quit at the same time your problem may be upstream.  Are they both on the same breaker?  Check that.

              If all else fails post a question on the J/4x chat site and see if anyone actually knows what to do.

              Ivan
              KITTIWAKE
              J/42, hull #74

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 12, 2010
                Thanks for the ideas all! I will do some trouble shooting and see what turns up!

                --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, Ivan C Getting <getting@...> wrote:

                > Hi Jennifer,
                >
                > Shower sump pumps can become clogged by a delicious combination of soap,
                > hair, and other slimy things. I never use mine, which renders them as
                > useless as if they were clogged. If possible, some disassemble and
                > yucky cleaning may be in order.
                >
                > There are switches for these pumps on my boat, one in each head. They
                > each have a fuse. They warrant checking. If they both quit at the
                > same time your problem may be upstream. Are they both on the same
                > breaker? Check that.
                >
                > If all else fails post a question on the J/4x chat site and see if
                > anyone actually knows what to do.
                >
                > Ivan
                > KITTIWAKE
                > J/42, hull #74
                >

                > On 4/9/2010 10:49 AM, pineapplegirlc320 wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi J-4x folks,
                > >
                > > We have J-42 #33, Tiki J. Both shower sumps have decided to stop
                > > working! The pumps run but no water comes through. We checked the
                > > strainers, what else are we missing?
                > >
                > > thanks!
                > >
                > > Jennifer

              • rersk
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
                  The shower sump is a maddening problem. Here is what I've found after enriching the Jabsco company several times. When you clean the shower sump strainer, you lose the water prime for the pump. As the pumps age, they don't do well pumping air. To re-prime the pump: put a couple of quarts of water in the sump, fill the sink with water above the sump pump outlet. Run the pump intermittantly for a few seconds at a time. You will see bubbles coming out of the sump outlet in the sink. Each time you stop the pump, the water in the sink will back down the sump pump hose, replacing the air. Finally you should see the sump water start to fill the sink and you've re-established the prime. If this doesn't work. Remove the pump from beneath the sink. Check the hose between the sump and the pump by blowing into it. If it's blocked you'll have to work on clearing it. Remove the pump head by unscrewing the long slender bolts securing it to the pump body. You'll find a rubber diaphragm inside the pump head. The diaphragm can dry out with age and/or disuse. This will cause tiny air leaks that compromise the pump's suction. Lubricate the diaphragm edges with silicone grease and re-assemble, tightening the pump head firmly. Now re-install and re-prime. The shower sump may need some coaxing, but should finally settle into energetic operation.