putrid sea water

  • Ivan C Getting
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 1:09 PM
      Hi,

      I have salt water plumbed to three places inside the boat, the aft head, the forward head, and the galley sink.  The salt water for the galley sink comes in through the forward head salt water iintake plumbing.

      The aft head and the galley sink only, not the forward head, stink of putrid, "dead" sea water when new salt water is brought in.  The aft head stink clears after a week of daily use/pumping, but smells again with a few days of no use.  The galley sink, with its longer salt water hoses from the forward head area, stinks forever.  The forward head, which gets only a little bit more use than the aft head, does not have this problem.  Why I know not.

      I am sure is does not help that the boat sits unattended over the winter in the water for 7 months of the year with salt water in those intake hoses.

      Has anyone else experienced this effect?  Anyone know a solution?

      Thanks,
      Ivan Getting
      KITTIWAKE
      J/42, Hull no. 74