Re: [j4x-owners-group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

  • Ivan C Getting
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
      Hi All,

      Looks like I am going to have the same problem.  The PhDs at Person Composites put the winches on my coach roof in position and orientation that precludes removing the gears for cleaning and lubrication.  Lemar says its perfectly OK to change the angular orientation of the winches so that they can be maintained.  All I have to do is get them off first.  Thanks for the info on Anti-Bond 2015.

      Ivan
      KITTIWAKE
      Hull no. 74

      On 4/2/2010 1:39 PM, Bernard Coyne wrote:

      Yes I have some anti-bond... great stuff...thanks.

      Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
      IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
      Download a free trial:
      http://jazz. net/projects/ rational- team-concert/
      IBM Rational software,
      coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762
      Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/ IBM@IBMUS

      Inactive hide details for paullever---04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM---    If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.  Paulpaullever--- 04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM--- If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work. Paul

      paullever@verizon. net

      j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

      j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

      04/02/2010 02:04 PM

      Re: [j4x-owners- group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

      Sent by:

      j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

      If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.

      Paul

          Has anyone attempted to remove and reinstall or replace their windlass? Mine

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010

        We had the same problem with the port cabin top winch on our J/42 hull #3. Instead of remounting the winch, we just took a Dremel tool and ground out a small portion of the brass pedestal...just enough to get the remaining gear(s) out. Our friend with hull #17 had the same issue and resolved with the same solution.

        Bernie

        Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
        IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
        Download a free trial:
        http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
        IBM Rational software,
        coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
        Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

        Inactive hide details for Ivan C Getting ---04/02/2010 04:03:29 PM---Hi All, Looks like I am going to have the same problem.  TIvan C Getting ---04/02/2010 04:03:29 PM---Hi All, Looks like I am going to have the same problem. The PhDs at Person

        Ivan C Getting <getting@...>

        04/02/2010 04:03 PM

        Re: [j4x-owners-group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

        Sent by:

        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

        Hi All,

        Looks like I am going to have the same problem.  The PhDs at Person Composites put the winches on my coach roof in position and orientation that precludes removing the gears for cleaning and lubrication.  Lemar says its perfectly OK to change the angular orientation of the winches so that they can be maintained.  All I have to do is get them off first.  Thanks for the info on Anti-Bond 2015.

        Ivan
        KITTIWAKE
        Hull no. 74

        On 4/2/2010 1:39 PM, Bernard Coyne wrote:

            Yes I have some anti-bond...great stuff...thanks.

            Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
            IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
            Download a free trial:
            http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
            IBM Rational software,
            coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
            Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

            Inactive hide details for paullever---04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM---    If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.  Paulpaullever---04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM--- If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work. Paul

            paullever@...

            04/02/2010 02:04 PM

            Re: [j4x-owners-group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

            Sent by:

            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

            If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.

            Paul

            Apr 2, 2010 05:13:36 PM, j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                    Has anyone attempted to remove and reinstall or replace their windlass? Mine
                    >still works but is severly corroding and starting to make whining noises. I have
                    >removed the nuts off the 4 bolts with no trouble but can not remove the bolts.
                    >The deck housing has probably been sealed with 5200 making the job very difficult.
                    > I have also tried working from below deck but there is no straight-on access to
                    >the bolts. I have tried forcing putty knives between the deck and the units but
                    >no luck.
                    >
                    > Any suggestions??
                    >
                    > thx
                    > Bernie
                    > J/42 Amigo VI

      • Ivan C Getting
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
          Bernie,

          Great idea.  I will sit down with Euclid and Dremel and see if there is room to do this.  It would be a lot more fun than removing and remounting the winches.

          Ivan

          Ivan C Getting <getting@colorado. edu>

          j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

          04/02/2010 04:03 PM

          Re: [j4x-owners- group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

          Sent by:

          j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

          Hi All,

          Looks like I am going to have the same problem.  The PhDs at Person Composites put the winches on my coach roof in position and orientation that precludes removing the gears for cleaning and lubrication.  Lemar says its perfectly OK to change the angular orientation of the winches so that they can be maintained.  All I have to do is get them off first.  Thanks for the info on Anti-Bond 2015.

          Ivan
          KITTIWAKE
          Hull no. 74

          On 4/2/2010 1:39 PM, Bernard Coyne wrote:

              Yes I have some anti-bond... great stuff...thanks.

              Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
              IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
              Download a free trial:
              http://jazz. net/projects/ rational- team-concert/
              IBM Rational software,
              coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762
              Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/ IBM@IBMUS

              Inactive hide details for paullever---04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM---    If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.  Paulpaullever--- 04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM--- If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work. Paul

              paullever@verizon. net

              j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

              j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

              04/02/2010 02:04 PM

              Re: [j4x-owners- group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

              Sent by:

              j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

              If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.

              Paul

              Apr 2, 2010 05:13:36 PM, j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com wrote:

                      Has anyone attempted to remove and reinstall or replace their windlass? Mine
                      >still works but is severly corroding and starting to make whining noises. I have
                      >removed the nuts off the 4 bolts with no trouble but can not remove the bolts.
                      >The deck housing has probably been sealed with 5200 making the job very difficult.
                      > I have also tried working from below deck but there is no straight-on access to
                      >the bolts. I have tried forcing putty knives between the deck and the units but
                      >no luck.
                      >
                      > Any suggestions? ?
                      >
                      > thx
                      > Bernie
                      > J/42 Amigo VI

        • Newton PS Merrill
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 5, 2010
            Bernie--If it makes you feel any better we had the same problems. Once it
            starts making the noises you describe it's only a matter of time until it
            quits. We had the motor rebuilt to get us through last summer and now have
            replaced the entire unit. Newt Merrill

            Newton PS Merrill
            nmerr10001@...
            (O)212-873-0287ext11
            (C)917-860-0373
            (F)212-579-1756
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 6, 2010
              Bernie
              There is a very good chance, the motor is still fine.  Mine was, it was just the gear box that disintegrated due to the fact it is made out of alum or pot metal and not suited for salt water baths every day.
              Seperating the motor shaft from the gear box is the tricky part.  The circleclip at the bottom of the shaft holds it all together.  After you replace the gear box, which has been redesigned and is much more sturdy, the next to go will be the control box with the solenoids inside. They freeze up over time .  All the parts are still available and are basically plug and play.
              Good luck.
              Bill Stellin

              To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
              From: nmerr10001@...
              Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:56:50 -0400
              Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

              Bernie--If it makes you feel any better we had the same problems. Once it
              starts making the noises you describe it's only a matter of time until it
              quits. We had the motor rebuilt to get us through last summer and now have
              replaced the entire unit. Newt Merrill

              Newton PS Merrill
              nmerr10001@aol. com
              (O)212-873-0287ext1 1
              (C)917-860-0373
              (F)212-579-1756

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 6, 2010
                On another subject, please consider the following item for sale.
                For those of you sailing to Bermuda, I have a C-Map
                card: Norfolk to Bermuda to Jacksonville   C-Map NT+
                NA-C304.15 dated 22-Sept-2007 serial # B7XX.0116   MX02.  This is
                a detailed card of Bermuda and can be used in any Raymarine plotter plus several
                other brands.  I would like to sell it. Make an offer. New cards cost over
                $200.

                Bill Stellin   Jaywalker Hull

                To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 6, 2010
                  On another subject, please consider the following for sale:
                  For those of you sailing to Bermuda, I have a C-Map card: Norfolk to Bermuda to Jacksonville   C-Map NT+  NA-C304.15 dated 22-Sept-2007 serial # B7XX.0116   MX02.  This is a detailed card of Bermuda and can be used in any Raymarine plotter plus several other brands.  I would like to sell it. Make an offer. New cards cost over $200.
                  Bill Stellin   Jaywalker Hull #6

                  To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 14, 2010
                    Bernie
                    Thank you for the input.  I remember trying to service my winches in Finland last summer and was unable to remove the gears.  It was pretty obvious that if they had rotated the winches 90° that they could have been easily serviced.  I have lubricated them the best I could and am glad to have a solution for future reference.

                    Paul Rogers
                    Canty  hull # 38

                    On Apr 2, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Bernard Coyne wrote:

                    We had the same problem with the port cabin top winch on our J/42 hull #3. Instead of remounting the winch, we just took a Dremel tool and ground out a small portion of the brass pedestal...just enough to get the remaining gear(s) out. Our friend with hull #17 had the same issue and resolved with the same solution.

                    Bernie

                    Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                    IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
                    Download a free trial:
                    http://jazz. net/projects/ rational- team-concert/
                    IBM Rational software,
                    coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762
                    Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/ IBM@IBMUS

                    <2D154338.gif>

                    <graycol.gif>Ivan C Getting ---04/02/2010 04:03:29 PM---Hi All, Looks like I am going to have the same problem. The PhDs at Person

                    <ecblank.gif>
                    From:
                    <ecblank.gif>
                    Ivan C Getting <getting@colorado. edu>
                    <ecblank.gif>
                    To:
                    <ecblank.gif>
                    j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com
                    <ecblank.gif>
                    Date:
                    <ecblank.gif>
                    04/02/2010 04:03 PM
                    <ecblank.gif>
                    Subject:
                    <ecblank.gif>
[...]

                        <graycol.gif>paullever--- 04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM--- If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work. Paul

                        <ecblank.gif>
                        From:
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        paullever@verizon. net
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        To:
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        Cc:
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        Date:
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        04/02/2010 02:04 PM
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        Subject:
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        Re: [j4x-owners- group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        Sent by:
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

                        If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.

                        Paul

                        Apr 2, 2010 05:13:36 PM, j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com wrote:

                                Has anyone attempted to remove and reinstall or replace their windlass? Mine
                                >still works but is severly corroding and starting to make whining noises. I have
                                >removed the nuts off the 4 bolts with no trouble but can not remove the bolts.
                                >The deck housing has probably been sealed with 5200 making the job very difficult.
                                > I have also tried working from below deck but there is no straight-on access to
                                >the bolts. I have tried forcing putty knives between the deck and the units but
                                >no luck.
                                >
                                > Any suggestions? ?
                                >
                                > thx
                                > Bernie
                                > J/42 Amigo VI

                  • hst_jreed
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 20, 2010
                      I had my windless motor separated from the gearbox last year. After removing the nuts & washers for the studs, I used a putty knife and cold chisel to slowly work the gearbox free and the removed it. Since the rest of the unit was in good shape, I then replaced the motor/gearbox assembly.

                      Joe Reed
                      Keep It Simple J-42 Hull #12