Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

  • berniecoyne
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
      Has anyone attempted to remove and reinstall or replace their windlass? Mine still works but is severly corroding and starting to make whining noises. I have removed the nuts off the 4 bolts with no trouble but can not remove the bolts. The deck housing has probably been sealed with 5200 making the job very difficult. I have also tried working from below deck but there is no straight-on access to the bolts. I have tried forcing putty knives between the deck and the units but no luck.

      Any suggestions??

      thx
      Bernie
      J/42 Amigo VI
    • paullever@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
        If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
          Bernie:
          I replaced the gear housing about 4 years ago.  It disintegrated.  There is  a lot more to it than just taking the four bolts out.  I have the Ocean series and in order to separate the above deck stuff from the motor and gear housing, you must take off a horse shoe shaped split ring that it attached to the shaft of the capstan.  I suggest you go to a Lewmar repair shop and ask them how to do it.  It was not straight forward as just removing some bolts.  It is very unlikely there is any 5200 involved.  Lewmar only furnishes a soft rubber gasket which is all you need to seal the deck unit to the deck.  No sealant is used anywhere.
          It is a big job with lots of little tricks that can make it much easier if you know what they are.  This is why I suggest you not try the disassembly yourself without expert advice. Good luck
          Bill Stellin   Jaywalker   hull #6  1996

          To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010

            Yes I have some anti-bond...great stuff...thanks.

            Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
            IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
            Download a free trial:
            http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
            IBM Rational software,
            coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
            Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

            Inactive hide details for paullever---04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM---    If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.  Paulpaullever---04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM--- If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work. Paul

            paullever@...

            04/02/2010 02:04 PM

            Re: [j4x-owners-group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

            Sent by:

            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

            If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.

            Paul

            Apr 2, 2010 05:13:36 PM, j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                Has anyone attempted to remove and reinstall or replace their windlass? Mine

                >still works but is severly corroding and starting to make whining noises. I have
                >removed the nuts off the 4 bolts with no trouble but can not remove the bolts.
                >The deck housing has probably been sealed with 5200 making the job very difficult.
                > I have also tried working from below deck but there is no straight-on access to
                >the bolts. I have tried forcing putty knives between the deck and the units but
                >no luck.
                >
                > Any suggestions??
                >
                > thx
                > Bernie
                > J/42 Amigo VI

          • Ivan C Getting
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
              Hi All,

              Looks like I am going to have the same problem.  The PhDs at Person Composites put the winches on my coach roof in position and orientation that precludes removing the gears for cleaning and lubrication.  Lemar says its perfectly OK to change the angular orientation of the winches so that they can be maintained.  All I have to do is get them off first.  Thanks for the info on Anti-Bond 2015.

              Ivan
              KITTIWAKE
              Hull no. 74

              coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762

              paullever@verizon. net

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010

                We had the same problem with the port cabin top winch on our J/42 hull #3. Instead of remounting the winch, we just took a Dremel tool and ground out a small portion of the brass pedestal...just enough to get the remaining gear(s) out. Our friend with hull #17 had the same issue and resolved with the same solution.

                Bernie

                Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
                Download a free trial:
                http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
                IBM Rational software,
                coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
                Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                Inactive hide details for Ivan C Getting ---04/02/2010 04:03:29 PM---Hi All, Looks like I am going to have the same problem.  TIvan C Getting ---04/02/2010 04:03:29 PM---Hi All, Looks like I am going to have the same problem. The PhDs at Person

                Ivan C Getting <getting@...>

                04/02/2010 04:03 PM

                Re: [j4x-owners-group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

                Sent by:

                j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                Hi All,

                Looks like I am going to have the same problem.  The PhDs at Person Composites put the winches on my coach roof in position and orientation that precludes removing the gears for cleaning and lubrication.  Lemar says its perfectly OK to change the angular orientation of the winches so that they can be maintained.  All I have to do is get them off first.  Thanks for the info on Anti-Bond 2015.

                Ivan
                KITTIWAKE
                Hull no. 74

                On 4/2/2010 1:39 PM, Bernard Coyne wrote:

                    Yes I have some anti-bond...great stuff...thanks.

                    Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                    IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
                    Download a free trial:
                    http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
                    IBM Rational software,
                    coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
                    Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                    Inactive hide details for paullever---04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM---    If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.  Paulpaullever---04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM--- If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work. Paul

                    paullever@...

                    04/02/2010 02:04 PM

                    Re: [j4x-owners-group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

                    Sent by:

                    j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                    If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.

                    Paul

                    Apr 2, 2010 05:13:36 PM, j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            Has anyone attempted to remove and reinstall or replace their windlass? Mine
                            >still works but is severly corroding and starting to make whining noises. I have
                            >removed the nuts off the 4 bolts with no trouble but can not remove the bolts.
                            >The deck housing has probably been sealed with 5200 making the job very difficult.
                            > I have also tried working from below deck but there is no straight-on access to
                            >the bolts. I have tried forcing putty knives between the deck and the units but
                            >no luck.
                            >
                            > Any suggestions??
                            >
                            > thx
                            > Bernie
                            > J/42 Amigo VI

              • Ivan C Getting
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                  Bernie,

                  Great idea.  I will sit down with Euclid and Dremel and see if there is room to do this.  It would be a lot more fun than removing and remounting the winches.

                  Ivan

                  Ivan C Getting <getting@colorado. edu>

                  j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

                  04/02/2010 04:03 PM

                  Re: [j4x-owners- group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

                  Sent by:

                  j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

                  Hi All,

                  Looks like I am going to have the same problem.  The PhDs at Person Composites put the winches on my coach roof in position and orientation that precludes removing the gears for cleaning and lubrication.  Lemar says its perfectly OK to change the angular orientation of the winches so that they can be maintained.  All I have to do is get them off first.  Thanks for the info on Anti-Bond 2015.

                  Ivan
                  KITTIWAKE
                  Hull no. 74

                  On 4/2/2010 1:39 PM, Bernard Coyne wrote:

                      Yes I have some anti-bond... great stuff...thanks.

                      Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                      IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
                      Download a free trial:
                      http://jazz. net/projects/ rational- team-concert/
                      IBM Rational software,
                      coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762
                      Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/ IBM@IBMUS

                      Inactive hide details for paullever---04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM---    If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.  Paulpaullever--- 04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM--- If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work. Paul

                      paullever@verizon. net

                      j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

                      j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

                      04/02/2010 02:04 PM

                      Re: [j4x-owners- group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

                      Sent by:

                      j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

                      If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.

                      Paul

                      Apr 2, 2010 05:13:36 PM, j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com wrote:

                              Has anyone attempted to remove and reinstall or replace their windlass? Mine
                              >still works but is severly corroding and starting to make whining noises. I have
                              >removed the nuts off the 4 bolts with no trouble but can not remove the bolts.
                              >The deck housing has probably been sealed with 5200 making the job very difficult.
                              > I have also tried working from below deck but there is no straight-on access to
                              >the bolts. I have tried forcing putty knives between the deck and the units but
                              >no luck.
                              >
                              > Any suggestions? ?
                              >
                              > thx
                              > Bernie
                              > J/42 Amigo VI

                • Newton PS Merrill
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 5, 2010
                    Bernie--If it makes you feel any better we had the same problems. Once it
                    starts making the noises you describe it's only a matter of time until it
                    quits. We had the motor rebuilt to get us through last summer and now have
                    replaced the entire unit. Newt Merrill

                    Newton PS Merrill
                    nmerr10001@...
                    (O)212-873-0287ext11
                    (C)917-860-0373
                    (F)212-579-1756
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 6, 2010
                      There is a very good chance, the motor is still fine.  Mine was, it was just the gear box that disintegrated due to the fact it is made out of alum or pot metal and not suited for salt water baths every day.
                      Seperating the motor shaft from the gear box is the tricky part.  The circleclip at the bottom of the shaft holds it all together.  After you replace the gear box, which has been redesigned and is much more sturdy, the next to go will be the control box with the solenoids inside. They freeze up over time .  All the parts are still available and are basically plug and play.
                      Good luck.
                      Bill Stellin

                      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                      From: nmerr10001@...
                      Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:56:50 -0400
                      Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

                      Bernie--If it makes you feel any better we had the same problems. Once it
                      starts making the noises you describe it's only a matter of time until it
                      quits. We had the motor rebuilt to get us through last summer and now have
                      replaced the entire unit. Newt Merrill

                      Newton PS Merrill
                      nmerr10001@aol. com
                      (O)212-873-0287ext1 1
                      (C)917-860-0373
                      (F)212-579-1756

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 6, 2010
                        On another subject, please consider the following item for sale.
                        For those of you sailing to Bermuda, I have a C-Map
                        card: Norfolk to Bermuda to Jacksonville   C-Map NT+
                        NA-C304.15 dated 22-Sept-2007 serial # B7XX.0116   MX02.  This is
                        a detailed card of Bermuda and can be used in any Raymarine plotter plus several
                        other brands.  I would like to sell it. Make an offer. New cards cost over
                        $200.

                        Bill Stellin   Jaywalker Hull

                        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 6, 2010
                          On another subject, please consider the following for sale:

                          To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 14, 2010
                            Thank you for the input.  I remember trying to service my winches in Finland last summer and was unable to remove the gears.  It was pretty obvious that if they had rotated the winches 90° that they could have been easily serviced.  I have lubricated them the best I could and am glad to have a solution for future reference.

                            Paul Rogers
                            Canty  hull # 38

                            On Apr 2, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Bernard Coyne wrote:

                            We had the same problem with the port cabin top winch on our J/42 hull #3. Instead of remounting the winch, we just took a Dremel tool and ground out a small portion of the brass pedestal...just enough to get the remaining gear(s) out. Our friend with hull #17 had the same issue and resolved with the same solution.

                            Bernie

                            Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                            IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
                            Download a free trial:
                            http://jazz. net/projects/ rational- team-concert/
                            IBM Rational software,
                            coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762
                            Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/ IBM@IBMUS

                            <2D154338.gif>

                            <graycol.gif>Ivan C Getting ---04/02/2010 04:03:29 PM---Hi All, Looks like I am going to have the same problem. The PhDs at Person

                            <ecblank.gif>
                            From:
                            <ecblank.gif>
                            Ivan C Getting <getting@colorado. edu>
                            <ecblank.gif>
                            To:
                            <ecblank.gif>
                            j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com
                            <ecblank.gif>
                            Date:
                            <ecblank.gif>
                            04/02/2010 04:03 PM
                            <ecblank.gif>
                            Subject:
                            <ecblank.gif>
[...]

                                <graycol.gif>paullever--- 04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM--- If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work. Paul

                                <ecblank.gif>
                                From:
                                <ecblank.gif>
                                paullever@verizon. net
                                <ecblank.gif>
                                To:
                                <ecblank.gif>
                                j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com
                                <ecblank.gif>
                                Cc:
                                <ecblank.gif>
                                j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com
                                <ecblank.gif>
                                Date:
                                <ecblank.gif>
                                04/02/2010 02:04 PM
                                <ecblank.gif>
                                Subject:
                                <ecblank.gif>
                                Re: [j4x-owners- group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42
                                <ecblank.gif>
                                Sent by:
                                <ecblank.gif>
                                j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

                                If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.

                                Paul

                                Apr 2, 2010 05:13:36 PM, j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com wrote:

                                        Has anyone attempted to remove and reinstall or replace their windlass? Mine
                                        >still works but is severly corroding and starting to make whining noises. I have
                                        >removed the nuts off the 4 bolts with no trouble but can not remove the bolts.
                                        >The deck housing has probably been sealed with 5200 making the job very difficult.
                                        > I have also tried working from below deck but there is no straight-on access to
                                        >the bolts. I have tried forcing putty knives between the deck and the units but
                                        >no luck.
                                        >
                                        > Any suggestions? ?
                                        >
                                        > thx
                                        > Bernie
                                        > J/42 Amigo VI

                          • hst_jreed
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 20, 2010
                              I had my windless motor separated from the gearbox last year. After removing the nuts & washers for the studs, I used a putty knife and cold chisel to slowly work the gearbox free and the removed it. Since the rest of the unit was in good shape, I then replaced the motor/gearbox assembly.

                              Joe Reed
                              Keep It Simple J-42 Hull #12