RE: [j4x-owners-group] Re: J/40 Deck plate over rudder post

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2010
      I did the same thing after installing a new plate.  The design stinks, so I siliconed it that did the trick.
      Bill      Jaywalker hull #6

      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com; j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com; j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      From: paullever@...
      Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 14:43:08 -0800
      Subject: RE: [j4x-owners-group] Re: J/40 Deck plate over rudder post

      So I install the new deck plate and the new one still leaks. Less than the old, but it does leak through the plate to deck fitting seal. It has a nice, plump gasket in there, but it has a slow leak to it. I think I'm going to seal it with silicon at this point.

      Paul
      At 03:29 PM 1/5/2010, Paul Lever wrote:

      I just called the 800 number and they said as long as I wasn't local they'd do it for me. Pretty low key.

      Paul
      At 03:17 PM 1/5/2010, Doug Duke wrote:

      Do you need an account to order from Lewis?

      Doug

      From: douglasduke@ bellsouth. net
      Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000

      Thanks for all the quick responses. The original deck plate was "fixed" with a smaller one that fits inside the old plate opening. There is no way to properly seal it without installing a new one. So far I haven't been able to find an exact replacement. I think I might end up using a thin 1/4" piece of Starboard cut to fit the recessed hole. I'll post a pic if I can.