follow-up: hull blisters on J-42's

  • kdzinbal
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2010
      Thanks to everyone who responded. So my curiosity led me to do a little research on the topic - according to both Alan Johnstone and Pearson Composites, blisters are very rare in J-boats after they switched to vinylester resins in the outer laminate layers. They did mention that localized blisters could occur if there has been some damage to the hull (e.g. if repairs were done using polyester resins), or in minor areas where fairing compound has been used. I was cautioned that agressively sanding into the gelcoat (e.g. to fair the hull, or if trying to completely remove old layers of bottom paint) might be unwise as that could reduce the effective thickness of the vinylester barrier.

      So - doesn't sound like this is something to overly worry about, and it's gratifying that a number of the early-model J-42's confirm they've had no issues with blisters.