Re: [j4x-owners-group] Blisters on J-42's?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2010
      Is the blistering widespread? We have a 1990 J40 which has had a couple
      on the rudder and down the centerline of the boat where I understand can
      be typical because they sometimes have to fill and fair the center out
      of the mold.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2010
        I have hull #6 1996 and initially, we had several small blisters just under the antifouling paint which I think was due to improperly cleaning the hull after it came out of the mold.
        About 5 years ago I had the bottom paint stripped and an epoxy barrier coat applied and since then there has been no problems.  Except for the keel where it seemed almost impossible to keep paint on it.  It has been stripped and barrier coated but peeling down to the lead still occurs in spots.  I almost think it is a case of stray currents somehow affecting the paint adherence.  It was very bad in salt water and while using a high wattage inverter for long periods.  Now that the boat is back in fresh water and no long term use of the inverter, the problem is much abated.
        The hull blisters we had were very shallow and about the size of a pencil eraser and grouped in circles and along the centerline of the bottom.  Also they occurred around the thru hulls.  After I sanded down to the gel coat and repainted they have not reappeared.
        Bill Stellin   Jaywalker

        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
        From: kdzinbal@...
        Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 06:49:05 +0000