RE: [j4x-owners-group] Blisters on J-42's?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2010

      Is this only a potential problem for gelcoat hulls? My 1997 has no sign of blisters, but I’ve had 2 Awlgrip paint jobs since i have owned it and perhaps some were seen in the painting process i did not know about

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2010

        Our J/42 is hull #3 (1996) and I have seen no signs of blistering at all. Thank goodness!

        I did apply a barrier coat in 2001 for extra protection.

        Bernie

        Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
        IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
        Download a free trial:
        http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
        IBM Rational software,
        coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
        Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

        Inactive hide details for "Anthony M Iacono" ---01/25/2010 07:09:12 AM---Is this only a potential problem for gelcoat hulls? My"Anthony M Iacono" ---01/25/2010 07:09:12 AM---Is this only a potential problem for gelcoat hulls? My 1997 has no sign of blisters, but I've had 2

        "Anthony M Iacono" <tony@...>

        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

        01/25/2010 07:09 AM

        RE: [j4x-owners-group] Blisters on J-42's?

        Sent by:

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2010
          Is the blistering widespread? We have a 1990 J40 which has had a couple
          on the rudder and down the centerline of the boat where I understand can
          be typical because they sometimes have to fill and fair the center out
          of the mold.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2010
            I have hull #6 1996 and initially, we had several small blisters just under the antifouling paint which I think was due to improperly cleaning the hull after it came out of the mold.
            About 5 years ago I had the bottom paint stripped and an epoxy barrier coat applied and since then there has been no problems.  Except for the keel where it seemed almost impossible to keep paint on it.  It has been stripped and barrier coated but peeling down to the lead still occurs in spots.  I almost think it is a case of stray currents somehow affecting the paint adherence.  It was very bad in salt water and while using a high wattage inverter for long periods.  Now that the boat is back in fresh water and no long term use of the inverter, the problem is much abated.
            The hull blisters we had were very shallow and about the size of a pencil eraser and grouped in circles and along the centerline of the bottom.  Also they occurred around the thru hulls.  After I sanded down to the gel coat and repainted they have not reappeared.
            Bill Stellin   Jaywalker

            To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
            From: kdzinbal@...
            Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 06:49:05 +0000