Prospective J 40 owner

  • Dick & Joan Harding
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008

      My wife Joan and I are on the search for a retirement boat and the J40 appears to be the one that tops the list. In other words a reasonably fast comfortable cruiser that is well built and can be handled by a couple. The intended cruising ground would be theBahamas and the Caribbean .

      I would like to canvas the list on a number of subjects

      1. What are the weak points in other words what should my surveyor be on the  look out for. Given the obvious balsa core hull and deck and age are there any other areas such as chain plates that may be a issue.

      1. Rigging: running rigging does not  bother me as it easily replaced with spectra or some other hi tech line. Are there any  issues with standing rigging, should you replace after a certain time and do you stay with the rod or go to wire.

      1. The diesel:   I see are number of boats have replaced the Volvo with a YanmarÂ’s is there a problem with the original power plant what is the recommended rebuild time.

      1. Rudder Bearings: What is the best replacement for the original Harkens.

      1.   Barients I had these on my C & C 30 . I know they area excellent winch but are spare parts a concern.

      1. A fair price the brokerage listings have boats listed from $119,000 to $189,000. Perhaps this is not a fair question to ask of this list but would welcome any opinions.

      Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

      Thanks

    • esh
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008
        I am webmaster for the J40 Sailors Website at
        http://members.dslextreme.com/users/sded/ . I have
        taken mine to San Francisco and Mexico, but there are
        other owners using/based in the Bahamas and
        Caribbean-and a few circumnavigations and very long
        trips. See the website roster. A lot of information
        is on the website, but I will try to answer your
        questions directly:

        Weak points: Rudder bearings often need to be
        replaced because of corrosion. Opening ports also
        develop leaks, have non-replaceable gaskets, large
        ones may need replacement. Seals on hydraulic vang
        and backstay may need replacement. Some have had
        premature engine problems.

        Standing rigging: No particular problems. Early
        versions have wire, later versions have rod. Usual
        replacement times-if it has never been done on a
        J-boat, should be done at time of purchase because of
        age. I use Dyform wire.

        Diesel: There is an article on engine replacement on
        the J40 website. Varying replacement intervals
        depending on care and usage-plus maybe a few lemons.
        I have 3500 hours on my Volvo with no particular
        issues, little maintenance cost. Replacement with
        Yanmar is popular long term solution because of out of
        production parts costs (not that Volvo parts are cheap
        anyway). Others do a short block or long block
        rebuild if satisfied with engine, since parts are
        available. I don't need to do anything (yet). These
        Volvos were also used on other boats of the era, like
        Valiant 40s, so you might ask at their owners site.

        Rudder Bearings: There is an article addressing this
        on the J40 website, but both Edson and PYI have been
        used successfully.

        Barients: I have Barient 32STCs which are still going
        strong. Parts are generally available from the
        Australian Winch Co, although not always quickly.
        They have not been particular problems (unless you
        drop a part over the side while cleaning them). Pawls
        and springs are easy to find.

        Cost: Depends on the condition, existing upgrades,
        needed upgrades. The range in the listings seems
        reasonable based on the few actual sales prices I know
        about: $150K +- depending. Check the J40 website
        roster for boats for sale, as well as your local J
        dealers. There are email addresses in the roster, so
        you can ask about price without going through the
        listings. Probably less than through a broker. ;)

        --- Dick & Joan Harding <dharding@...> wrote:

        > My wife Joan and I are on the search for a
        > retirement boat and the J40 appears to be the one
        > that tops the list. In other words a reasonably fast
        > comfortable cruiser that is well built and can be
        > handled by a couple. The intended cruising ground
        > would be the Bahamas and the Caribbean.
        >

        > I would like to canvas the list on a number of
        > subjects
        >

        > 1.. What are the weak points in other words what
        > should my surveyor be on the look out for. Given
        > the obvious balsa core hull and deck and age are
        > there any other areas such as chain plates that may
        > be a issue.
        >

        > 2.. Rigging: running rigging does not bother me
        > as it easily replaced with spectra or some other hi
        > tech line. Are there any issues with standing
        > rigging, should you replace after a certain time and
        > do you stay with the rod or go to wire.
        >

        > 3.. The diesel: I see are number of boats have
        > replaced the Volvo with a Yanmar's is there a
        > problem with the original power plant what is the
        > recommended rebuild time.
        >

        > 4.. Rudder Bearings: What is the best replacement
        > for the original Harkens.
        >

        > 5.. Barients I had these on my C & C 30 . I know
        > they area excellent winch but are spare parts a
        > concern.
        >

        > 6.. A fair price the brokerage listings have boats
        > listed from $119,000 to $189,000. Perhaps this is
        > not a fair question to ask of this list but would
        > welcome any opinions.
        >

        > Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.
        >

        > Thanks

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Dick & Joan Harding
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008