Re: [j4x-owners-group] J/40 Deck plate over rudder post

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 20, 2009

      Our J/42 has a Beckson port and cover.

      Not sure why you are replacing your cover, but our cover was suffering UV discoloration. All we did was spray paint it with Nicro-Cote - a plastic coating for vinyl, plastic or pvc surfaces. That was 4 years ago and it still looks like new!

      cheers,
      Bernie Coyne
      J/42 Amigo VI

      Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
      IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
      Download a free trial:
      http://jazz.net
      IBM Rational software,
      coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
      Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

      Inactive hide details for "douglasduke@..." ---12/20/2009 12:29:46 PM---Hi, I am refitting a 1990 J/40 and am trying "douglasduke@..." ---12/20/2009 12:29:46 PM---Hi, I am refitting a 1990 J/40 and am trying to find a replacement for the 10" deck plate that cover

      "douglasduke@..." <douglasduke@...>

      12/20/2009 12:29 PM

      [j4x-owners-group] J/40 Deck plate over rudder post

      Sent by:

      j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

      Hi,

      I am refitting a 1990 J/40 and am trying to find a replacement for the 10" deck plate that covers the rudder post. Does anyone have a source for these?

      Thanks,

      Doug
      J40 #68 "Ripple"

    • douglasduke@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 20, 2009
        Thanks for all the quick responses. The original deck plate was "fixed" with a smaller one that fits inside the old plate opening. There is no way to properly seal it without installing a new one. So far I haven't been able to find an exact replacement. I think I might end up using a thin 1/4" piece of Starboard cut to fit the recessed hole. I'll post a pic if I can.
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 20, 2009
          Mine leaked as well on Jaywalker, J/42 hull #6 1991. I got fed up with it and sealed it with a light coating around the rim with bedding compound. I can still take it off if I ever need to, but after 31,000 miles and 14 years, I have never had to get to the top of the rudder post except to change the lower bearing once about 4 years ago.
          Bill Stellin

          To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
          From: douglasduke@...
          Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000
          Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re: J/40 Deck plate over rudder post

          Thanks for all the quick responses. The original deck plate was "fixed" with a smaller one that fits inside the old plate opening. There is no way to properly seal it without installing a new one. So far I haven't been able to find an exact replacement. I think I might end up using a thin 1/4" piece of Starboard cut to fit the recessed hole. I'll post a pic if I can.

        • Paul Lever
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 5, 2010
            I just ordered a new Viking deck plate from Lewis Marine that Thomas pointed out. It was less than $35. I was going to just put sealing goop on plate, but when I went to pull it off the handle broke. Time for a new one. They have a couple of dozen in stock.

            Paul

            To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
            From: douglasduke@...
            Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000

            Thanks for all the quick responses. The original deck plate was "fixed" with a smaller one that fits inside the old plate opening. There is no way to properly seal it without installing a new one. So far I haven't been able to find an exact replacement. I think I might end up using a thin 1/4" piece of Starboard cut to fit the recessed hole. I'll post a pic if I can.

          • Doug Duke
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 5, 2010
              Do you need an account to order from Lewis?

              Doug

              From: douglasduke@ bellsouth. net
              Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 5, 2010
                I just called the 800 number and they said as long as I wasn't local they'd do it for me. Pretty low key.

                Paul

                From: douglasduke@ bellsouth. net
                Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000

                  From: douglasduke@ bellsouth. net
                  Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 31, 2010
                    I did the same thing after installing a new plate.  The design stinks, so I siliconed it that did the trick.
                    Bill      Jaywalker hull #6

                    To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com; j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com; j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                    From: douglasduke@ bellsouth. net
                    Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000