J/40 Deck plate over rudder post

  • douglasduke@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 20, 2009
      Hi,

      I am refitting a 1990 J/40 and am trying to find a replacement for the 10" deck plate that covers the rudder post. Does anyone have a source for these?

      Thanks,

      Doug
      J40 #68 "Ripple"
    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 20, 2009
        Mine was made by Viking Marine of Long Beach, CA. It's an 8" cover, so maybe it's not the same one. Part number PTL-8. Viking used to have a website, http://www.vikingmfg.com, but now it just links to one of those worthless advertising websites --- perhaps Viking went out of business?

        In my notebook, I have a phone number for them: 562-432-2259.

        In any case, Lewis Marine has them in their catalog: http://is.gd/5v1Lo

        Good luck, Doug!

        -tk

        --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "douglasduke@..." <douglasduke@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am refitting a 1990 J/40 and am trying to find a replacement for the 10" deck plate that covers the rudder post. Does anyone have a source for these?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Doug
        > J40 #68 "Ripple"

      • Paul Lever

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 20, 2009
            Mine was leaking badly, too. About two years ago, I ordered a new O-Ring from Viking and it made a world of difference. It doesn't leak at all now.

            -tk

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 20, 2009

              Our J/42 has a Beckson port and cover.

              Not sure why you are replacing your cover, but our cover was suffering UV discoloration. All we did was spray paint it with Nicro-Cote - a plastic coating for vinyl, plastic or pvc surfaces. That was 4 years ago and it still looks like new!

              cheers,
              Bernie Coyne
              J/42 Amigo VI

              Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
              IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
              Download a free trial:
              http://jazz.net
              IBM Rational software,
              coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
              Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

              Inactive hide details for "douglasduke@..." ---12/20/2009 12:29:46 PM---Hi, I am refitting a 1990 J/40 and am trying "douglasduke@..." ---12/20/2009 12:29:46 PM---Hi, I am refitting a 1990 J/40 and am trying to find a replacement for the 10" deck plate that cover

              "douglasduke@..." <douglasduke@...>

              12/20/2009 12:29 PM

              [j4x-owners-group] J/40 Deck plate over rudder post

              Sent by:

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 20, 2009
                Thanks for all the quick responses. The original deck plate was "fixed" with a smaller one that fits inside the old plate opening. There is no way to properly seal it without installing a new one. So far I haven't been able to find an exact replacement. I think I might end up using a thin 1/4" piece of Starboard cut to fit the recessed hole. I'll post a pic if I can.
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 20, 2009
                  Mine leaked as well on Jaywalker, J/42 hull #6 1991. I got fed up with it and sealed it with a light coating around the rim with bedding compound. I can still take it off if I ever need to, but after 31,000 miles and 14 years, I have never had to get to the top of the rudder post except to change the lower bearing once about 4 years ago.
                  Bill Stellin

                  To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                  From: douglasduke@...
                  Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000
                  Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re: J/40 Deck plate over rudder post

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 5, 2010
                    I just ordered a new Viking deck plate from Lewis Marine that Thomas pointed out. It was less than $35. I was going to just put sealing goop on plate, but when I went to pull it off the handle broke. Time for a new one. They have a couple of dozen in stock.

                    Paul

                    To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                    From: douglasduke@...
                    Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000

                    Thanks for all the quick responses. The original deck plate was "fixed" with a smaller one that fits inside the old plate opening. There is no way to properly seal it without installing a new one. So far I haven't been able to find an exact replacement. I think I might end up using a thin 1/4" piece of Starboard cut to fit the recessed hole. I'll post a pic if I can.

                  • Doug Duke
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 5, 2010
                      Do you need an account to order from Lewis?

                      Doug

                      From: douglasduke@ bellsouth. net
                      Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 5, 2010
                        I just called the 800 number and they said as long as I wasn't local they'd do it for me. Pretty low key.

                        Paul

                        From: douglasduke@ bellsouth. net
                        Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000

                          From: douglasduke@ bellsouth. net
                          Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 31, 2010
                            I did the same thing after installing a new plate.  The design stinks, so I siliconed it that did the trick.
                            Bill      Jaywalker hull #6

                            To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com; j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com; j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                            From: douglasduke@ bellsouth. net
                            Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:06:23 +0000