Re: What size primary filter do you use on your Yanmar? and what spares do you carry

  • lenny_reich
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 18, 2009
      Scott: Unless you have your impeller changed every year and put no more than about 100 hours on the engine annually, you should carry a spare impeller and know how to install it. The old impellers can sometimes be difficult to remove, and you need to pre-bend the vanes of the new impeller in the correct direction (often done with a cable tie) as you slide it in place.

      --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "sk_dickinson" <sk_dickinson@...> wrote:

      > All,
      > We've done some work on our fuel system and relized we have 3 different primary filter types and I wanted your advise as to which I should stick with.
      >
      > We have a Racor primary filter. What Micron type do you use?
      > 2, 10, or 30.
      >
      > A few folks recommend 30. We have had quite a bit of trouble with 2. I now have 30 installed and a 10 in stock.
      >
      > I'd like to settle on the best choice.
      >
      > I looked up the Yanmar 2ndary filter and could not determine how granular it is. I was thinking I don't want a primary that is larger than the 2ndary, but I have no expertise in this area.
      >
      > On a second note, What do you keep on board for spares. Here is what I have: Primary Fuel filter, Secondary Fuel filter, Oil filter, Alternator belt. Should I carry other stuff like an impeller?
      >
      > Your feedback is valued!
      >

      > Thanks
      > Scott Dickinson
      > Tiki J
      > J42 #33

    • Ivan C Getting
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 18, 2009
        Hi,

        Raw water pump.  Prebend in the right direction does not matter.  The rotation of the pump aligns the fins correctly.  On shutting down the engine the fatal compression stroke often reverses the direction of rotation reversing the orientation of some of the fins.  I've watched it with the pump cover off after a few seconds of running.  I know the manual makes a big deal out of it, but my experience and every mechanic I've talked to agrees that the initial direction of the raw water impeller pump fins is irrelevant.  Any other opinions?

        Ivan Getting
        J/42, Hull no 74

        lenny_reich wrote:

        Scott: Unless you have your impeller changed every year and put no more than about 100 hours on the engine annually, you should carry a spare impeller and know how to install it. The old impellers can sometimes be difficult to remove, and you need to pre-bend the vanes of the new impeller in the correct direction (often done with a cable tie) as you slide it in place.

        --- In j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com, "sk_dickinson" <sk_dickinson@ ...> wrote:

        > All,
        > We've done some work on our fuel system and relized we have 3 different primary filter types and I wanted your advise as to which I should stick with.
        >
        > We have a Racor primary filter. What Micron type do you use?
        > 2, 10, or 30.
        >
        > A few folks recommend 30. We have had quite a bit of trouble with 2. I now have 30 installed and a 10 in stock.
        >
        > I'd like to settle on the best choice.
        >
        > I looked up the Yanmar 2ndary filter and could not determine how granular it is. I was thinking I don't want a primary that is larger than the 2ndary, but I have no expertise in this area.
        >
        > On a second note, What do you keep on board for spares. Here is what I have: Primary Fuel filter, Secondary Fuel filter, Oil filter, Alternator belt. Should I carry other stuff like an impeller?
        >
        > Your feedback is valued!
        >

        > Thanks
        > Scott Dickinson
        > Tiki J
        > J42 #33

      • tkeffer
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 18, 2009
          Hi, Scott

          I used to use 2 micron primary filters as well, but had troubles with them clogging very quickly. A local mechanic here suggested switching to 10 and using the stock Yanmar filter as the secondary. I've had no more problems since.

          I don't know what micron size the stock Yanmar filters are either, but I figure if they're good enough for Yanmar, they're good enough for me. :-)

          As for spares, I usually care one extra primary, one extra secondary, an extra impeller (an old one will do), an extra oil filter, and an alternator belt. That's for coastal sailing up and down the Pacific Northwest (including the overnighter between Oregon and Washington), as well as jaunts up through Canada and Alaska (spares are easy to come by). If I was doing a longer, offshore, cruise I'd take more (way more!).

          Cheers,

          -tk

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 18, 2009
            We have hull #6 owned since new in 1996.  After almost 31,000 miles and two atlantic crossings we still only carry spare filters for both tanks as well as the final engine filter for fuel and oil.  One spare belt and the old impeller which has only been changed once during the 3200 hours of the engines life.
            Parts are everywhere and I don't feel it is necessary to spend a fortune carrying parts I may never need.  This spring for the first time ever we had the valves adjusted, the injectors rebuilt and the blower cleaned.  I don't think I am lucky, Yanmars are wonderfully dependable engines.  HOw many spare parts do you carry for your car.
            You can find Yanmar parts everywhere.
            Bill Stellin    s/y Jaywalker

            To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
            From: keffer@...
            Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:31:03 +0000
            Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re: What size primary filter do you use on your Yanmar? and what spares do you carry

            Hi, Scott

            I used to use 2 micron primary filters as well, but had troubles with them clogging very quickly. A local mechanic here suggested switching to 10 and using the stock Yanmar filter as the secondary. I've had no more problems since.

            I don't know what micron size the stock Yanmar filters are either, but I figure if they're good enough for Yanmar, they're good enough for me. :-)

            As for spares, I usually care one extra primary, one extra secondary, an extra impeller (an old one will do), an extra oil filter, and an alternator belt. That's for coastal sailing up and down the Pacific Northwest (including the overnighter between Oregon and Washington), as well as jaunts up through Canada and Alaska (spares are easy to come by). If I was doing a longer, offshore, cruise I'd take more (way more!).

            Cheers,

            -tk

            --- In j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com, "sk_dickinson" <sk_dickinson@ ...> wrote:

            > All,
            > We've done some work on our fuel system and relized we have 3 different primary filter types and I wanted your advise as to which I should stick with.
            >
            > We have a Racor primary filter. What Micron type do you use?
            > 2, 10, or 30.
            >
            > A few folks recommend 30. We have had quite a bit of trouble with 2. I now have 30 installed and a 10 in stock.
            >
            > I'd like to settle on the best choice.
            >
            > I looked up the Yanmar 2ndary filter and could not determine how granular it is. I was thinking I don't want a primary that is larger than the 2ndary, but I have no expertise in this area.
            >
            > On a second note, What do you keep on board for spares. Here is what I have: Primary Fuel filter, Secondary Fuel filter, Oil filter, Alternator belt. Should I carry other stuff like an impeller?
            >
            > Your feedback is valued!
            >

            > Thanks
            > Scott Dickinson
            > Tiki J
            > J42 #33

          • Richard Greene
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 14, 2009
              FYI, I've change the impeller every year (9) and haven't paid attention to the direction of the fins so I'm guessing it doesn't matter.
              Regarding fuel filter question.
              I replaced the stock Racor R12 filter to a R20 after having some fuel problems. It was a tight fit but you can get it in the same general location near the muffler. It looks like its got at least twice the capacity as the R12.
              I always use the 2 micron filter so its the same spec as the final filter on the engine.
              I've heard it suggested that you should use a 10 micron for the first filter (Racor) to keep the big stuff out of the final 2 micron engine filter. My thinking was that if you do that and your engine stops you don't know if its the Racor or the one on the engine. With a 2 micron Racor you know that's the one that will clog up first.
              Dick Greene
              Maine Sail J42 #48