Re: J4x Rudder Bearing Replacement

  • plee56
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
      --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Huckins" <esh@...> wrote:

      > The J4X's have in common the use of all glass rudder posts, with SS
      > sleeves, and large bearings from several manufacturers. The early
      > Harken bearings, which used dissimilar metals, are a standard
      > replacement item with bearings from PYI/Jafa and from Edson. I
      > replaced J40 bearings early due to electrolysis from an emergency
      > generator at the marina, so used one of the last Harken bearings.
      > May be time to do it again in the future. Some of the experience of
      > other J40 owners is captured at http://members.dslextreme.com/users/
      > sded/bearings.htm and for a J37 at http://www.jcruiser.org/37/Eos/
      > eos_rudder_bearing_replacement.htm . Are there other experiences
      > that might be useful to the J4X owners?

      Ed,
      I added a picture of the Jeffa bearing failure after 1 year to the jcrusier web site: EOS Rudder Bearing Replacement I also put up a pic of a composite bearing. I've always been suspicious of having an aluminum race that then gets covered with a copper based bottom paint. A recipe for corrosion.

      Regards

      Paul L
    • esh
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
        Thanks a lot for the new picture. The J40 rudder
        bearing info is at
        http://members.dslextreme.com/users/sded/bearings.htm
        , includes reference to your article. Latest bearing
        replacement I know if is on Bill Webster's J37
        Sidekick-he used the Edson bearings, thought the
        installation was a bit of work, but was still very
        happy with them when I spoke to him in October. He
        just did a very major refit of the boat, so the cost
        of the bearings was irrelevant.
        --- plee56 <paullever@...> wrote:

        > --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Ed
        > Huckins" <esh@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > The J4X's have in common the use of all glass
        > rudder posts, with SS
        > > sleeves, and large bearings from several
        > manufacturers. The early
        > > Harken bearings, which used dissimilar metals, are
        > a standard
        > > replacement item with bearings from PYI/Jafa and
        > from Edson. I
        > > replaced J40 bearings early due to electrolysis
        > from an emergency
        > > generator at the marina, so used one of the last
        > Harken bearings.
        > > May be time to do it again in the future. Some of
        > the experience of
        > > other J40 owners is captured at
        > http://members.dslextreme.com/users/
        > > sded/bearings.htm and for a J37 at
        > http://www.jcruiser.org/37/Eos/
        > > eos_rudder_bearing_replacement.htm . Are there
        > other experiences
        > > that might be useful to the J4X owners?
        > >

        > Ed,
        > I added a picture of the Jeffa bearing failure after
        > 1 year to the
        > jcrusier web site: EOS Rudder Bearing Replacement

        <http://www.jcruiser.org/37/Eos/eos_rudder_bearing_replacement.htm>
        > also put up a pic of a composite bearing. I've
        > always been suspicious of
        > having an aluminum race that then gets covered with
        > a copper based
        > bottom paint. A recipe for corrosion.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Paul L