RE: [j4x-owners-group] Mast, Hull and Deck Painting

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2009
      This  past winter, we had Deltaville Boat Yard in VA strip our mast and boom and refinish it with original color AlGrip.  It was very expensive but well worth it.  It looks just like it did out of the box originally and will hold up extremely well, as you would expect from Algrip.  It was good to get every fitting off,(which were corroded on and had to be drilled or cut out) and all new fasteners used.  First time mast was down in 10 years and we also replaced the cap shrouds as each had a broken wire in them.  Ocean crossings were hard on the rig and it looked it, plus 13 years of sun and normal wear and tear made it necessary to refinish it.   Looks great now.
      For anyone on the east coast in the Chesapeake, Deltaville can and does do a wonderful job and they were a few thousand less then in Newport area.
      Bill Stellin    hull #6 Jaywalker

      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      From: wcassady@...
      Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 19:11:41 +0000
      Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Mast, Hull and Deck Painting

      I have ordered some back issues of Practical Sailor to help with this inquiry but am also interested in any personal experience this group has with what paints work well on the topsides, mast and cabin house/cockpit. I recently painted the mast of our J22 with Interlux Perfection, a two-part urethane that handled and finished great, and was considering it for our mast on the J40. Thanks for any insights.