RE: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Water on the inside

    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 30 1:16 PM
      We've had water downbelow also and it came, in our case, from a leaking packing gland for the rudder post.  A new rudder bearing, described a while ago here, solved that problem.  Water will come in through the forward sink drain if the thru hull is not closed.
      Never in two Atlantic crossings and 30,000 miles had water come in through the bilge pump outlet.  Forgot once to close the port in the forward head and probably had 200 gals come in.  Won't do that again.
      Bill Stellin    Hull #6 Jaywalker.

      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      From: rob.moore@...
      Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:12:21 -0700
      Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Water on the inside

      How about adding a one way value on the hose going from the bilge
      pump over board, was done on a few J42 out here on the west coast.

      Rob Moore

    • dick.sanford@partnerre.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 25, 2009
        Jennifer, finally figured it out. My leak was coming from a short section
        of hose that connects the cockpit scupper drain hoses to the thru hull in
        the transom. The cockpit drain hoses come together in a plastic plumbing
        fitting at the transom, the transom thru hull has a fiberglass flange that
        extends inside the transom. The hose in question connects these two parts
        and is about 5 or 6 inches long. It was shot to the point where all you
        could see was the wire reinforcing section with some rubber hanging off it.
        When the boat heels over, water backs up into this and if you open the aft
        locker on the starboard side, you see the water running in. The better part
        of a roll of rescue/atomic self amalgamating tape made for a temporary fix.
        I also note that when taking blue water over the bow that the aft locker on
        starboard side allows for a fair amount of water intrusion and I plan to
        replace the seals.

        Hope this helps,

        Dick Sanford

        DISCLAIMER: This e-mail contains information solely intended for named
        recipients and is confidential and proprietary to PartnerRe. If you are not
        one of the intended recipients of this message, you must not read, use or
        disseminate the information in it and should notify the sender by replying
        to this message and deleting it afterwards from your mail system. Please be
        aware that unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this communication
        is prohibited.
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 25, 2009
          I think every J/42  has had problems with the aft starboard locker leaking.
          The fix is not only seals but a better fit.  Get inside and look up for light and you will see what I mean.  I had to take the hinges off and reset them along with grinding down high spots on the lid where the pull is.
          Jaywalker   Bill Stellin

          To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 27, 2009
            Well as usually our problem was unique to our boat. What for most of you is probably the forward holding tank is for us a forward water tank (to make up for the starboard water tank having been replaced by a massive battery bank). Turns out the hose to the vent for the tank was never actually ATTACHED at the vent through the hull. So if the water in the tank was over the vent level (which happened when heeled to port as the vent was offset to port) water came out the hose under the sink. Thanks for all the pointers on other hoses to check for wear!

            Jennifer
            Tiki J
            J/42 #33
          • pineapplegirlc320
            Message 5 of 24 , May 14, 2010
              We once again our having water problems (We had water oozing out the floor boards under the nav station in our race last weekend) so I was going back through everyone's suggestions, trying to figure out where to start "this time." We'd really like to try and keep the boat relatively dry on the Pac Cup (52 more dayes)!

              This time it look like the water is coming in somewhere from the back end--I hope it is the scuppers and not the rudder! We had the rudder checked and the yard gave it a clean bill of health. Can't wait to crawl around tomorrow looking for the leak!

              Jennifer
              Tiki J
              J/42 #33

              Message 6 of 24 , May 14, 2010
                Happens to me all the time. Stopped most all of it by closing the head through hulls on long voyages in any sea state that produces a repeated up/down motion for extended periods of time. Have you tried that? Tony Iacono. Affinity

                Shanomet Company LLC
                Sailing Charters
                484 432 1171

                From: "pineapplegirlc320" <sailsfbay@...>
                Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 18:29:46 -0000
                To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 24 , May 14, 2010

                  I would recommend checking the rudder seal while underway and especially going downwind when the stern tends to squat down lower.

                  Bernie

                  Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                  IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
                  Download a free trial:
                  http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
                  IBM Rational software,
                  coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
                  Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                  Inactive hide details for "pineapplegirlc320" ---05/14/2010 02:34:21 PM---We once again our having water problems (We had water"pineapplegirlc320" ---05/14/2010 02:34:21 PM---We once again our having water problems (We had water oozing out the floor boards under the nav stat

                  "pineapplegirlc320" <sailsfbay@...>

                  05/14/2010 02:34 PM

                  [j4x-owners-group] Re:Water on the inside

                  Sent by:

                  j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                  We once again our having water problems (We had water oozing out the floor boards under the nav station in our race last weekend) so I was going back through everyone's suggestions, trying to figure out where to start "this time." We'd really like to try and keep the boat relatively dry on the Pac Cup (52 more dayes)!

                  This time it look like the water is coming in somewhere from the back end--I hope it is the scuppers and not the rudder! We had the rudder checked and the yard gave it a clean bill of health. Can't wait to crawl around tomorrow looking for the leak!

                  Jennifer
                  Tiki J
                  J/42 #33
                  --- In
                  j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

                  > We've had water downbelow also and it came, in our case, from a leaking packing gland for the rudder post. A new rudder bearing, described a while ago here, solved that problem. Water will come in through the forward sink drain if the thru hull is not closed.
                  > Never in two Atlantic crossings and 30,000 miles had water come in through the bilge pump outlet. Forgot once to close the port in the forward head and probably had 200 gals come in. Won't do that again.
                  > Bill Stellin Hull #6 Jaywalker.
                  >
                  > To:
                  j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: rob.moore@...
                  > Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:12:21 -0700
                  > Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Water on the inside

                  > How about adding a one way value on the hose going from the bilge
                  >
                  > pump over board, was done on a few J42 out here on the west coast.
                  >

                  > Rob Moore

                • pineapplegirlc320
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 14, 2010
                    We actually put back flow preventors on the sink drain lines after not closing the forward head sink through hull one ocean race and the joy of cleaning up that mess. That is definitely not where the water is coming from. Due to where we were seeing the water (under the nav station) I looked in the back area and there was water in there.

                    --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony M Iacono" <tony@...> wrote:

                    > Happens to me all the time. Stopped most all of it by closing the head through hulls on long voyages in any sea state that produces a repeated up/down motion for extended periods of time. Have you tried that? Tony Iacono. Affinity
                    > Shanomet Company LLC
                    > Sailing Charters
                    > 484 432 1171

                  • pineapplegirlc320
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 14, 2010
                      thanks Bernie. If I can't isolate the leak to the scupper drains we will investigate the rudder seal. Our leakage was when we were heeled well over to starboard.

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 16, 2010
                        Odd are it is your rudder post seal leaking.  Also on a starboard tack lots of water may come down that side of the boat and go in through the aft deck locker lid.  Ours was not well fitted and water poured through it till I fixed it.  Also water can come in around the deck fitting at the top of the rudder post, Those lids also leak like mad.  I finally just used some silicone seal on it and don't ever open it.  I figure if I have to I can just break the seal with a good yank on the little tee handle.  Rudder post and deck lid. 99% sure its coming from one or both.
                        Bill Stellin  Jaywalker  hull #6

                        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                        From: sailsfbay@...
                        Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 23:36:41 +0000

                      • dick.sanford@partnerre.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 17, 2010
                          I had the same problem that Jennifer describes and it was driving me to
                          distraction I finally discovered the issue on truant, hull #55. There are
                          two inward turning flanges molded in the transom. The cockpit scuppers lead
                          to these points and drain overboard. what I found was that the short piece
                          of hose that connects to these flanges was done for, in fact when I got all
                          the way down in there, I could see daylight and the wire reinforcing coil
                          part of the hose and not much else. The better part of a roll of rescue
                          tape provided a temporary fix. One side was worse than the other, but I
                          replaced them both. Of course I did this during this past winter's layup
                          and the boat has only just gone back in the water so I have yet to field
                          test this fix.

                          Dick
                          _________________________
                          Richard N. Sanford
                          Executive Vice President
                          Partner Reinsurance Company of the U.S.
                          One Greenwich Plaza
                          Greenwich, CT 06830
                          Tel: 203-485-4279
                          Fax: 203-485-4080
                          dick.sanford@...

                          William Stellin
                          <wstellin@hotmail
                          .com> To
                          Sent by: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                          j4x-owners-group@ cc
                          yahoogroups.com
                          Subject
                          RE: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Water on
                          05/16/2010 07:36 the inside
                          PM

                          Please respond to
                          j4x-owners-group@
                          yahoogroups.com

                          To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                          From: sailsfbay@...
                          Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 23:36:41 +0000

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 17, 2010
                            We have had water "hide out" and then when healed enough show up in the nav station area. This was with a relatively dry main bilge, but water was standing under the cabin sole next to the nav station.

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 17, 2010

                              Funny....I just replaced that same short piece of hose this winter...for the same reasons!!

                              Bernie
                              Amigo VI, hull #3

                              Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                              IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
                              Download a free trial:
                              http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
                              IBM Rational software,
                              coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
                              Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                              Inactive hide details for dick.sanford---05/17/2010 08:51:17 AM---I had the same problem that Jennifer describes and it was dridick.sanford---05/17/2010 08:51:17 AM---I had the same problem that Jennifer describes and it was driving me to distraction I finally discov

                              dick.sanford@...

                              05/17/2010 08:51 AM

                              To:
                              j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                              From:
                              sailsfbay@...
                              Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 23:36:41 +0000

> [...]

                              > > Bill Stellin Hull #6 Jaywalker.
                              > >
                              > > To:
                              j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                              > > From: rob.moore@
                              > > Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:12:21 -0700
                              > > Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Water on the inside

                              > > How about adding a one way value on the hose going from the bilge
                              > >
                              > > pump over board, was done on a few J42 out here on the west coast.
                              > >

                              > > Rob Moore

                              DISCLAIMER: This e-mail contains information solely intended for named
                              recipients and is confidential and proprietary to PartnerRe. If you are not
                              one of the intended recipients of this message, you must not read, use or
                              disseminate the information in it and should notify the sender by replying
                              to this message and deleting it afterwards from your mail system. Please be
                              aware that unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this communication

                              (See attached file: pic25547.gif)(See attached file: pic27644.gif)

                            • pineapplegirlc320
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 20, 2010
                                After much crawling around in small dark spaces and water hose testing I came up with nothing. The guys found a problem right after the race with exhaust water leaking out of a loose connection where the aqua alarm had been installed so hopefully that was where the water came from. Too bad they told me AFTER I crawled all over the boat. :) Hopefully we will find out during our next race so if there is still a leak we can fix it before the Pac Cup. If not, we have enough rescue tape to tape every tube, hatch, seam, opening, etc on the boat several times over.