Re: [j4x-owners-group] Water on the inside

  • Dave Moore
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 29, 2009
      Dick, sounds like you're on the right track. Consider checking your shower sump pump lines when the rail is down - another potential source of water siphoning on board.
      Dave

      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 29, 2009
      Thanks for that Dave, I should have mentioned that I already learned that
      lesson the hard way very shortly after taking delivery of the boat last
      year and now sail with the forward sink/shower sump thru hull closed. I
      have a new check valve in hand and plan on skinning my knuckles and cursing
      up a storm some time this weekend.

      Dick

      Dave Moore
      <drolfmoore@yahoo
      .com> To
      Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      j4x-owners-group@ cc
      yahoogroups.com
      Subject
      Re: [j4x-owners-group] Water on the
      07/29/2009 12:34 inside
      PM

      Please respond to
      j4x-owners-group@
      yahoogroups.com

      Message 3 of 24 , Jul 29, 2009
        Dick we have the same problem on J/42 hull #33, however we think it is a fresh water leak as the water doesn't seem salty. the area below the reefer and stove fills up and water starts oozing up onto the galley sole. It is really quite entertaining. :p

        We have new check valves on our bilge discharge (plural as the electic and below decks manual pump tie into the same discharge). We are still trying to track down the source, but every connector on our fresh water system is loose so that is where we will start! We did have the head discharge through hulls closed both times this happened, though we now have check valves on those as well.

        Anyway, we feel your pain and will be watching this space to see what you find as the source. If we figure ours out we will post as well!

        Jennifer & Matt
        Scott & Kim
        Tiki J
        J/42 #33
        San Francisco Bay

      • dick.sanford@partnerre.com
        Message 4 of 24 , Jul 29, 2009
        Thanks Jennifer, for what it's worth, I have done the taste test (desperate
        times call for desperate measures) on more than one occasion and am
        confident that it is salt water. Also, when the carpeting on the cabin sole
        dries out, it is crusty with salt. It's collecting in the same place you
        describe and flattening the boat out takes a long time to cure this issue
        as the limber holes between the compartments in the bilge just aren't big
        enough to handle the volume.

        Dick

        "Jennifer"
        <sailsfbay@hotmai
        l.com> To
        Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
        j4x-owners-group@ cc
        yahoogroups.com
        Subject
        [j4x-owners-group] Re: Water on the
        07/29/2009 01:22 inside
        PM

        Please respond to
        j4x-owners-group@
        yahoogroups.com

        Message 5 of 24 , Jul 29, 2009
          VERY strange, ours sounds exactly the same but I would swear our water is fresh. It did not taste salty at all--at least two of us did the sniff and taste in that OMG we are taking on water moment. :) though it did leave a weird white film on the aluminum foil that was under the stove... hmmm, now you have me rethinking my conviction that it was fresh water. More research needed.

          So are we the only two that have experienced this?

          --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, dick.sanford@... wrote:

          > Thanks Jennifer, for what it's worth, I have done the taste test (desperate
          > times call for desperate measures) on more than one occasion and am
          > confident that it is salt water. Also, when the carpeting on the cabin sole
          > dries out, it is crusty with salt. It's collecting in the same place you
          > describe and flattening the boat out takes a long time to cure this issue
          > as the limber holes between the compartments in the bilge just aren't big
          > enough to handle the volume.
          >
          > Dick

        • newtmerrill
          Message 6 of 24 , Jul 30, 2009
            Let me add a couple of sources to check: 1) both head sinks but especially the forward head. We have to close drain thru hulls when under way (starboard tack) to avoid sea water backing up and overflowing sink; 2)check water tightness of anchor well drain--we played submarine for 2 seasons before figuring out there was no proper thru hull in drain allowing water to flow in between well and hull. Also, when doing a rebuild we increased size of limber holes to allow faster draining of bilge water to be pumped out. Hull #20--Newt Merrill

          • coasttocoast@j40.org
            Message 7 of 24 , Jul 30, 2009
              I have had and solved two similar cases.  Check the aft cockpit scupper hose fittings, in our case it was the port side tack rail down.  Also on the J4x, you have to consider the rudder shaft packing.  Safe and dry sailing!

              Dean Brennan
              Coast To Coast
              J40  #63

              VERY strange, ours sounds exactly the same but I would swear our water is fresh. It did not taste salty at all--at least two of us did the sniff and taste in that OMG we are taking on water moment. :) though it did leave a weird white film on the aluminum foil that was under the stove... hmmm, now you have me rethinking my conviction that it was fresh water. More research needed.

              So are we the only two that have experienced this?

              --- In j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com, dick.sanford@ ... wrote:

              > Thanks Jennifer, for what it's worth, I have done the taste test (desperate
              > times call for desperate measures) on more than one occasion and am
              > confident that it is salt water. Also, when the carpeting on the cabin sole
              > dries out, it is crusty with salt. It's collecting in the same place you
              > describe and flattening the boat out takes a long time to cure this issue
              > as the limber holes between the compartments in the bilge just aren't big
              > enough to handle the volume.
              >
              > Dick

            • mpromey
              Message 8 of 24 , Jul 30, 2009
                Good catch, Dean. I have had the same experience. I replaced the scupper hoses (no easy feat getting all the way to the stern) and the water stopped showing up in the boat. Good luck to all. Dean, nice to know you are out there still sailing (and working on)the J.
                Mike Romey
                Chinook
                J40 Hull #45
              • Rob Moore
                Message 9 of 24 , Jul 30, 2009
                  How about adding a one way value on the hose going from the bilge
                  pump over board, was done on a few J42 out here on the west coast.

                  Rob Moore
                  Message 10 of 24 , Jul 30, 2009
                    We've had water downbelow also and it came, in our case, from a leaking packing gland for the rudder post.  A new rudder bearing, described a while ago here, solved that problem.  Water will come in through the forward sink drain if the thru hull is not closed.
                    Never in two Atlantic crossings and 30,000 miles had water come in through the bilge pump outlet.  Forgot once to close the port in the forward head and probably had 200 gals come in.  Won't do that again.
                    Bill Stellin    Hull #6 Jaywalker.

                    To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 11 of 24 , Sep 25, 2009
                      Jennifer, finally figured it out. My leak was coming from a short section
                      of hose that connects the cockpit scupper drain hoses to the thru hull in
                      the transom. The cockpit drain hoses come together in a plastic plumbing
                      fitting at the transom, the transom thru hull has a fiberglass flange that
                      extends inside the transom. The hose in question connects these two parts
                      and is about 5 or 6 inches long. It was shot to the point where all you
                      could see was the wire reinforcing section with some rubber hanging off it.
                      When the boat heels over, water backs up into this and if you open the aft
                      locker on the starboard side, you see the water running in. The better part
                      of a roll of rescue/atomic self amalgamating tape made for a temporary fix.
                      I also note that when taking blue water over the bow that the aft locker on
                      starboard side allows for a fair amount of water intrusion and I plan to
                      replace the seals.

                      Hope this helps,

                      Dick Sanford

                      Message 12 of 24 , Sep 25, 2009
                        I think every J/42  has had problems with the aft starboard locker leaking.
                        The fix is not only seals but a better fit.  Get inside and look up for light and you will see what I mean.  I had to take the hinges off and reset them along with grinding down high spots on the lid where the pull is.
                        Jaywalker   Bill Stellin

                        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 13 of 24 , Oct 27, 2009
                          Well as usually our problem was unique to our boat. What for most of you is probably the forward holding tank is for us a forward water tank (to make up for the starboard water tank having been replaced by a massive battery bank). Turns out the hose to the vent for the tank was never actually ATTACHED at the vent through the hull. So if the water in the tank was over the vent level (which happened when heeled to port as the vent was offset to port) water came out the hose under the sink. Thanks for all the pointers on other hoses to check for wear!

                          Jennifer
                          Tiki J
                          J/42 #33
                        • pineapplegirlc320
                          Message 14 of 24 , May 14, 2010
                            We once again our having water problems (We had water oozing out the floor boards under the nav station in our race last weekend) so I was going back through everyone's suggestions, trying to figure out where to start "this time." We'd really like to try and keep the boat relatively dry on the Pac Cup (52 more dayes)!

                            This time it look like the water is coming in somewhere from the back end--I hope it is the scuppers and not the rudder! We had the rudder checked and the yard gave it a clean bill of health. Can't wait to crawl around tomorrow looking for the leak!

                            Jennifer
                            Tiki J
                            J/42 #33

                            Message 15 of 24 , May 14, 2010
                              Happens to me all the time. Stopped most all of it by closing the head through hulls on long voyages in any sea state that produces a repeated up/down motion for extended periods of time. Have you tried that? Tony Iacono. Affinity

                              Shanomet Company LLC
                              Sailing Charters
                              484 432 1171

                              From: "pineapplegirlc320" <sailsfbay@...>
                              Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 18:29:46 -0000
                              To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

                              Message 16 of 24 , May 14, 2010

                                I would recommend checking the rudder seal while underway and especially going downwind when the stern tends to squat down lower.

                                Bernie

                                Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                                IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
                                Download a free trial:
                                http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
                                IBM Rational software,
                                coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
                                Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                                Inactive hide details for "pineapplegirlc320" ---05/14/2010 02:34:21 PM---We once again our having water problems (We had water"pineapplegirlc320" ---05/14/2010 02:34:21 PM---We once again our having water problems (We had water oozing out the floor boards under the nav stat

                                "pineapplegirlc320" <sailsfbay@...>

                                05/14/2010 02:34 PM

                                [j4x-owners-group] Re:Water on the inside

                                Sent by:

                                j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                                We once again our having water problems (We had water oozing out the floor boards under the nav station in our race last weekend) so I was going back through everyone's suggestions, trying to figure out where to start "this time." We'd really like to try and keep the boat relatively dry on the Pac Cup (52 more dayes)!

                                This time it look like the water is coming in somewhere from the back end--I hope it is the scuppers and not the rudder! We had the rudder checked and the yard gave it a clean bill of health. Can't wait to crawl around tomorrow looking for the leak!

                                Jennifer
                                Tiki J
                                J/42 #33
                                --- In
                                j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

                                > We've had water downbelow also and it came, in our case, from a leaking packing gland for the rudder post. A new rudder bearing, described a while ago here, solved that problem. Water will come in through the forward sink drain if the thru hull is not closed.
                                > Never in two Atlantic crossings and 30,000 miles had water come in through the bilge pump outlet. Forgot once to close the port in the forward head and probably had 200 gals come in. Won't do that again.
                                > Bill Stellin Hull #6 Jaywalker.
                                >
                                > To:
                                j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                                > From: rob.moore@...
                                > Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:12:21 -0700
                                > Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Water on the inside

                                > How about adding a one way value on the hose going from the bilge
                                >
                                > pump over board, was done on a few J42 out here on the west coast.
                                >

                                > Rob Moore

                              • pineapplegirlc320
                                Message 17 of 24 , May 14, 2010
                                  We actually put back flow preventors on the sink drain lines after not closing the forward head sink through hull one ocean race and the joy of cleaning up that mess. That is definitely not where the water is coming from. Due to where we were seeing the water (under the nav station) I looked in the back area and there was water in there.

                                  --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony M Iacono" <tony@...> wrote:

                                  > Happens to me all the time. Stopped most all of it by closing the head through hulls on long voyages in any sea state that produces a repeated up/down motion for extended periods of time. Have you tried that? Tony Iacono. Affinity
                                  > Shanomet Company LLC
                                  > Sailing Charters
                                  > 484 432 1171

                                • pineapplegirlc320
                                  Message 18 of 24 , May 14, 2010
                                    thanks Bernie. If I can't isolate the leak to the scupper drains we will investigate the rudder seal. Our leakage was when we were heeled well over to starboard.

                                    Message 19 of 24 , May 16, 2010
                                      Odd are it is your rudder post seal leaking.  Also on a starboard tack lots of water may come down that side of the boat and go in through the aft deck locker lid.  Ours was not well fitted and water poured through it till I fixed it.  Also water can come in around the deck fitting at the top of the rudder post, Those lids also leak like mad.  I finally just used some silicone seal on it and don't ever open it.  I figure if I have to I can just break the seal with a good yank on the little tee handle.  Rudder post and deck lid. 99% sure its coming from one or both.
                                      Bill Stellin  Jaywalker  hull #6

                                      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: sailsfbay@...
                                      Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 23:36:41 +0000

                                    • dick.sanford@partnerre.com
                                      Message 20 of 24 , May 17, 2010
                                        I had the same problem that Jennifer describes and it was driving me to
                                        distraction I finally discovered the issue on truant, hull #55. There are
                                        two inward turning flanges molded in the transom. The cockpit scuppers lead
                                        to these points and drain overboard. what I found was that the short piece
                                        of hose that connects to these flanges was done for, in fact when I got all
                                        the way down in there, I could see daylight and the wire reinforcing coil
                                        part of the hose and not much else. The better part of a roll of rescue
                                        tape provided a temporary fix. One side was worse than the other, but I
                                        replaced them both. Of course I did this during this past winter's layup
                                        and the boat has only just gone back in the water so I have yet to field
                                        test this fix.

                                        Dick
                                        _________________________
                                        Richard N. Sanford
                                        Executive Vice President
                                        Partner Reinsurance Company of the U.S.
                                        One Greenwich Plaza
                                        Greenwich, CT 06830
                                        Tel: 203-485-4279
                                        Fax: 203-485-4080
                                        dick.sanford@...

                                        William Stellin
                                        <wstellin@hotmail
                                        .com> To
                                        Sent by: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                                        j4x-owners-group@ cc
                                        yahoogroups.com
                                        Subject
                                        RE: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Water on
                                        05/16/2010 07:36 the inside
                                        PM

                                        Please respond to
                                        j4x-owners-group@
                                        yahoogroups.com

                                        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: sailsfbay@...
                                        Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 23:36:41 +0000

                                        Message 21 of 24 , May 17, 2010
                                          We have had water "hide out" and then when healed enough show up in the nav station area. This was with a relatively dry main bilge, but water was standing under the cabin sole next to the nav station.

                                          Message 22 of 24 , May 17, 2010

                                            Funny....I just replaced that same short piece of hose this winter...for the same reasons!!

                                            Bernie
                                            Amigo VI, hull #3

                                            Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                                            IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
                                            Download a free trial:
                                            http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/
                                            IBM Rational software,
                                            coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
                                            Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                                            Inactive hide details for dick.sanford---05/17/2010 08:51:17 AM---I had the same problem that Jennifer describes and it was dridick.sanford---05/17/2010 08:51:17 AM---I had the same problem that Jennifer describes and it was driving me to distraction I finally discov

                                            dick.sanford@...

                                            05/17/2010 08:51 AM

                                            RE: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Water on the inside

                                            To:
                                            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                                            From:
                                            sailsfbay@...
                                            Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 23:36:41 +0000

> [...]

                                            > > Bill Stellin Hull #6 Jaywalker.
                                            > >
                                            > > To:
                                            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                                            > > From: rob.moore@
                                            > > Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:12:21 -0700
                                            > > Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Water on the inside

                                            > > How about adding a one way value on the hose going from the bilge
                                            > >
                                            > > pump over board, was done on a few J42 out here on the west coast.
                                            > >

                                            > > Rob Moore

                                            DISCLAIMER: This e-mail contains information solely intended for named
                                            recipients and is confidential and proprietary to PartnerRe. If you are not
                                            one of the intended recipients of this message, you must not read, use or
                                            disseminate the information in it and should notify the sender by replying
                                            to this message and deleting it afterwards from your mail system. Please be
                                            aware that unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this communication

                                            (See attached file: pic25547.gif)(See attached file: pic27644.gif)

                                          • pineapplegirlc320
                                            Message 23 of 24 , May 20, 2010
                                              After much crawling around in small dark spaces and water hose testing I came up with nothing. The guys found a problem right after the race with exhaust water leaking out of a loose connection where the aqua alarm had been installed so hopefully that was where the water came from. Too bad they told me AFTER I crawled all over the boat. :) Hopefully we will find out during our next race so if there is still a leak we can fix it before the Pac Cup. If not, we have enough rescue tape to tape every tube, hatch, seam, opening, etc on the boat several times over.