Locking companionway from inside

  • rob.moore@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2009
      My wife and I are going to take our boat to Mexico for a few months and I was looking for a way to lock the boat up form the inside. Has any one done this?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2009
        On hull #6,Jaywalker,, installed as original equipment a tang that goes through the weather boards and can be locked on the outside with a lock. On the inside, the tang has a pin that goes up into teak support bar that runs across the width of the hatch.  You lock the lock to the tang with the pin removed, then go below slide the hatch closed and put the pin in the tang and you are locked in.  To go out, you just remove the pin and slide the hatch back.  Probably hard to visualize and harder to describe. It works like a charm.

        For what it is worth, in over 8 years and 30,000nm miles in the Med, and Caribbean, we have never locked ourselves in and never been robbed or burglarized.
        Also we thought about the refer lid but never did anything and it survived two ocean crossings  with never a problem.  I think capsize is very  rare with J/42's.  Seas in the Med especially in the Gulf de Leon are every big as in the Atlantic, but the boat took them just like they were little rollers.  I don't remember ever even getting water in the cockpit from  abeam or astern.  Lots down the deck from the bow however.
        Bill Stellin  s/v Jaywalker

        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
        From: rob.moore@...
        Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 16:21:57 +0000
        Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Locking companionway from inside

        My wife and I are going to take our boat to Mexico for a few months and I was looking for a way to lock the boat up form the inside. Has any one done this?

      • svjarana
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2009
          What a coincidence! We had the same conversation just last night.
          We'll be stopping in SF on the way to SD for the HaHa.
          Perhaps, we'll see you then, or in SD.
          Bill & Kathi, svJarana, J-42, #2.