Re: [j4x-owners-group] Keeping a lid on it

  • Paul Lever
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 5, 2009
      Tom,
      What's wrong with just using a simple barrel bolt:
      http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=43320&familyName=Stainless+Barrel+Bolts

      Paul
      At 01:12 PM 6/5/2009, tkeffer wrote:

      Hello all,

      I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution to hold down the refrigerator lid in the event of an inversion?

      I'm thinking of a rod running diagonally across the lid, held down by brackets on each end. Any other ideas?

      -tk

    • tkeffer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 5, 2009
        On my boat, the entire lid is removable --- there is no hinge. So, it would take at least 2, perhaps 3, bolts to hold the lid down reliably. Not only is that a lot of hardware, but I don't like the idea of several lumpy pieces of metal in the middle of the largest working area in the galley, even when I'm at the dock!

        Hence, the idea of something that is removable when conditions are benign.

        I like Bernie's idea and am looking forward to the picture!

        -tk

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009

          I am taking our hold-down "stick" as we call it, out to our boat today and will take some photos.

          cheers,
          Bernie

          Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
          IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development solution
          Download a free trial:
          http://jazz.net
          IBM Rational software,
          coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
          Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

          Inactive hide details for Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham ---06/05/2009 07:15:25 PM---Bernie, I would really appreciate a photo! Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham ---06/05/2009 07:15:25 PM---Bernie, I would really appreciate a photo! We're looking to do something similar.

                  Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham <sk_dickinson@...>
                  Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                  06/05/2009 07:14 PM

                  Please respond to

          cc

          Subject

          Re: [j4x-owners-group] Keeping a lid on it

          Bernie,
          I would really appreciate a photo! We're looking to do something similar.

          Thanks for the idea

          Scott
          TikiJ #33

          Re: [j4x-owners-group] Keeping a lid on it

          Hi Tom:

          That is pretty much what we did for Amigo VI. I made up a mahogany stick with a barrel bolt attached at each end. The stick was laid down fore and aft across the refrig covers and then I drilled a hole at either end in the cabinetry to accept the barrel bolts. The beauty of using barral bolts is that only the holes show in the cabinetry when you are not using the stick and they are not really noticeable.

          I can take a picture of my installation if you need it.

          cheers,
          Bernie

          Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
          IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development solution
          Download a free trial:
          http://jazz. net
          IBM Rational software,
          coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762
          Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/ IBM@IBMUS

          Inactive hide details for "tkeffer" ---06/05/2009 04:13:55 PM---"tkeffer" ---06/05/2009 04:13:55 PM---

                          "tkeffer" <keffer@gorge. net>
                          Sent by: j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

                          06/05/2009 04:12 PM

          Please respond to
          j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

          j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com
          cc
          Subject

          [j4x-owners- group] Keeping a lid on it
          Hello all,

          I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution to hold down the refrigerator lid in the event of an inversion?

          I'm thinking of a rod running diagonally across the lid, held down by brackets on each end. Any other ideas?

          -tk

        • Newton PS Merrill
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009
            Hi all--Another variation on the same theme: We used a classic old wooden
            batten (sanded and varnished of course!)--flexes enough to fit into
            stainless fittings fore and aft on top of ice box--lives happily in the
            cabinet outboard when not in use. Regards, Newt

            Newton PS Merrill
            nmerr10001@...
            (O)212-873-0287ext11
            (C)917-860-0373
            (F)212-579-1756
          • Paul Lever
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009
              Did they forget to install the piano hinge?<g>

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009

                Here you go....
                (See attached file: P1010739.JPG)(See attached file: P1010740.JPG)(See attached file: P1010745.JPG)(See attached file: P1010746.JPG)(See attached file: P1010749.JPG)(See attached file: P1010750.JPG)

                Let me know if you have any questions!

                cheers,
                Bernie
                Amigo VI #3

                Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development solution
                Download a free trial:
                http://jazz.net
                IBM Rational software,
                coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
                Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                Inactive hide details for Bernard Coyne---06/06/2009 08:22:20 AM---Bernard Coyne---06/06/2009 08:22:20 AM---

                        Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS
                        Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                        06/06/2009 08:21 AM

                        Please respond to

                cc

                Subject

[...]

                (See attached file: pic19096.gif)

              • tkeffer
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 9, 2009
                  Thanks, Bernie!

                  Your fridge area seems to have an extra fiddle (running along the edge of the stove) compared to mine. To do something similar, I think I'd have to use two 'sticks', running athwartship.

                  BTW, pretty darned annoying that Yahoo Groups doesn't save attachments. Perhaps if you have a little spare time you could post your pictures in the "Photos" section?

                  Grumble. Wish I'd gone with Google Groups instead...

                  -tk