Keeping a lid on it

  • tkeffer
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 5, 2009
      Hello all,

      I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution to hold down the refrigerator lid in the event of an inversion?

      I'm thinking of a rod running diagonally across the lid, held down by brackets on each end. Any other ideas?

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 5, 2009

        Hi Tom:

        That is pretty much what we did for Amigo VI. I made up a mahogany stick with a barrel bolt attached at each end. The stick was laid down fore and aft across the refrig covers and then I drilled a hole at either end in the cabinetry to accept the barrel bolts. The beauty of using barral bolts is that only the holes show in the cabinetry when you are not using the stick and they are not really noticeable.

        I can take a picture of my installation if you need it.

        cheers,
        Bernie

        Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
        IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development solution
        Download a free trial:
        http://jazz.net
        IBM Rational software,
        coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
        Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

        Inactive hide details for "tkeffer" ---06/05/2009 04:13:55 PM---"tkeffer" ---06/05/2009 04:13:55 PM---

                "tkeffer" <keffer@...>
                Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                06/05/2009 04:12 PM

                Please respond to

        cc

        Subject

        [j4x-owners-group] Keeping a lid on it

        Hello all,

        I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution to hold down the refrigerator lid in the event of an inversion?

        I'm thinking of a rod running diagonally across the lid, held down by brackets on each end. Any other ideas?

        -tk

      • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 5, 2009
          Bernie,
          I would really appreciate a photo!  We're looking to do something similar.

          Thanks for the idea

          Scott
          TikiJ #33

          coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762

                  "tkeffer" <keffer@gorge. net>
                  Sent by: j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

                  06/05/2009 04:12 PM

                  Please respond to
                  j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

          j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

          cc

          Subject

          [j4x-owners- group] Keeping a lid on it
        • Paul Lever
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 5, 2009
            Tom,
            What's wrong with just using a simple barrel bolt:
            http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=43320&familyName=Stainless+Barrel+Bolts

            Paul

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 5, 2009
              On my boat, the entire lid is removable --- there is no hinge. So, it would take at least 2, perhaps 3, bolts to hold the lid down reliably. Not only is that a lot of hardware, but I don't like the idea of several lumpy pieces of metal in the middle of the largest working area in the galley, even when I'm at the dock!

              Hence, the idea of something that is removable when conditions are benign.

              I like Bernie's idea and am looking forward to the picture!

              -tk

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009

                I am taking our hold-down "stick" as we call it, out to our boat today and will take some photos.

                cheers,
                Bernie

                Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development solution
                Download a free trial:
                http://jazz.net
                IBM Rational software,
                coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
                Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                Inactive hide details for Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham ---06/05/2009 07:15:25 PM---Bernie, I would really appreciate a photo! Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham ---06/05/2009 07:15:25 PM---Bernie, I would really appreciate a photo! We're looking to do something similar.

              • Hello all,

                I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution to hold down the refrigerator lid in the event of an inversion?

                I'm thinking of a rod running diagonally across the lid, held down by brackets on each end. Any other ideas?

                -tk

                        Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham <sk_dickinson@...>
                        Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                        06/05/2009 07:14 PM

                        Please respond to

                cc

                Subject

                Re: [j4x-owners-group] Keeping a lid on it

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009
                  Hi all--Another variation on the same theme: We used a classic old wooden
                  batten (sanded and varnished of course!)--flexes enough to fit into
                  stainless fittings fore and aft on top of ice box--lives happily in the
                  cabinet outboard when not in use. Regards, Newt

                  Newton PS Merrill
                  nmerr10001@...
                  (O)212-873-0287ext11
                  (C)917-860-0373
                  (F)212-579-1756
                • Paul Lever
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009
                    Did they forget to install the piano hinge?<g>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009

                      Here you go....
                      (See attached file: P1010739.JPG)(See attached file: P1010740.JPG)(See attached file: P1010745.JPG)(See attached file: P1010746.JPG)(See attached file: P1010749.JPG)(See attached file: P1010750.JPG)

                      Let me know if you have any questions!

                      cheers,
                      Bernie
                      Amigo VI #3

                      Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                      IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development solution
                      Download a free trial:
                      http://jazz.net
                      IBM Rational software,
                      coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
                      Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                      Inactive hide details for Bernard Coyne---06/06/2009 08:22:20 AM---Bernard Coyne---06/06/2009 08:22:20 AM---

                              Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS
                              Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                              06/06/2009 08:21 AM

[...]

                      (See attached file: pic19096.gif)

                    • tkeffer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 9, 2009
                        Thanks, Bernie!

                        Your fridge area seems to have an extra fiddle (running along the edge of the stove) compared to mine. To do something similar, I think I'd have to use two 'sticks', running athwartship.

                        BTW, pretty darned annoying that Yahoo Groups doesn't save attachments. Perhaps if you have a little spare time you could post your pictures in the "Photos" section?

                        Grumble. Wish I'd gone with Google Groups instead...

                        -tk