twingers

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
      Has anyone set up twingers, particularly on a J-42? We are kicking around a few ideas on how to set them up and are interested in what has or hasn't worked on similar boats.

      thanks!
      Jennifer Neumann
      Tiki J
      J/42 #33
    • Geoffrey Clark
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009

        OK, I’ll bite. What is a twinger???? When I Googled twinger and boat, what came up was links to “swinger boat”, which seemed like fun, but I suspect is not what you meant!

        Geoffrey E. Clark, M.D., d.b.a.

        Cocked HatVentures, LLC

        240 Islington Street

        Portsmouth, NH 03801

        603 767-6351 phone

        603 433-8933 fax

        gecgaspa@...

        www.cocked-hat.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009

          Twing lines = tweakers

          We had these on our Laser 28. They are control lines that cinch the spinnaker guy down to the deck around the shrouds. This improves leverage and helps keep the pole off the forestay on close reaches.

          High performance race boats use reaching struts for this same purpose. Twing lines are practical and low cost option for smaller boats.

          Bernie
          Amigo VI

          Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
          IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development solution
          Download a free trial:
          http://jazz.net
          IBM Rational software,
          coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
          Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

          Inactive hide details for "Geoffrey Clark" ---04/30/2009 03:17:52 PM---"Geoffrey Clark" ---04/30/2009 03:17:52 PM---

                  "Geoffrey Clark" <gecgaspa@...>
                  Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                  04/30/2009 03:17 PM

                  Please respond to

          <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

          cc

          "'Geoffrey Clark'" <gecgaspa@...>

          Subject

          RE: [j4x-owners-group] twingers

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009
            Hmm so Bernie the J-42 is too big for twingers? Guess you can tell I come from smaller boats--we had twingers on our 30 footer. thanks!

            --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...> wrote:

            > Twing lines = tweakers
            >
            > We had these on our Laser 28. They are control lines that cinch the
            > spinnaker guy down to the deck around the shrouds. This improves leverage
            > and helps keep the pole off the forestay on close reaches.
            >
            > High performance race boats use reaching struts for this same purpose.
            > Twing lines are practical and low cost option for smaller boats.
            >
            > Bernie
            > Amigo VI
            >

            > Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
            > IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development
            > solution
            > Download a free trial: http://jazz.net
            > IBM Rational software, coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
            > Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS
            >

            > "Geoffrey Clark"
            > <gecgaspa@cocked-
            > hat.com> To
            > Sent by: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
            > j4x-owners-group@ cc
            > yahoogroups.com "'Geoffrey Clark'"
            > <gecgaspa@...>
            > Subject
            > 04/30/2009 03:17 RE: [j4x-owners-group] twingers
            > PM
            >

            > Please respond to
            > j4x-owners-group@
            > yahoogroups.com

            > OK, I’ll bite. What is a twinger???? When I Googled twinger and boat, what came up
            > was links to “swinger boat”, which seemed like fun, but I suspect is not what you
            > meant!
            >

            > Geoffrey E. Clark, M.D., d.b.a.
            >

            > Cocked HatVentures, LLC
            >

            > 240 Islington Street
            >

            > Portsmouth, NH 03801
            >

            > 603 767-6351 phone
            >

            > 603 433-8933 fax
            >

            > gecgaspa@...
            >

            > www.cocked-hat.com

          • Jennifer
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009
              Yeah trying to google for ideas has been a tad frustrating!!!

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009

                Jennifer:

                No I am not saying they won't work on the J/42 but the loads are considerably higher on a 20k pound boat. On our J/42 we use double-sheets and guys and have a heavy-duty Schaefer swivel block mounted forward on the deck outboard near the shrouds. We lead the guys through this on both sides and that seems to help. But if we were a pure racing machine doing a lot of tight reaches then a reaching strut would be the way to go.

                cheers,
                Bernie

                Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development solution
                Download a free trial:
                http://jazz.net
                IBM Rational software,
                coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
                Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                Inactive hide details for "Jennifer" ---04/30/2009 03:38:51 PM---"Jennifer" ---04/30/2009 03:38:51 PM---

                        "Jennifer" <sailsfbay@...>
                        Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                        04/30/2009 03:37 PM

                        Please respond to

                cc

                Subject

                [j4x-owners-group] Re: twingers

                www.cocked-hat.com

              • Jennifer
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009
                  Thanks Bernie, actually our problem is the sheet rubbing on the bottom of the boom, how do you avoid that problem? thanks!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009

                    Ah yes...it does that on our boat too. Of course you don't want to choke the sheet down too much with a twing so we just live with it. I have had the boom repainted once already though - about half way through its current 13 year life :-)

                    Bernie

                    Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
                    IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development solution
                    Download a free trial:
                    http://jazz.net
                    IBM Rational software,
                    coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
                    Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS

                    Inactive hide details for "Jennifer" ---04/30/2009 03:52:03 PM---"Jennifer" ---04/30/2009 03:52:03 PM---

                            "Jennifer" <sailsfbay@...>
                            Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                            04/30/2009 03:51 PM

                    www.cocked-hat.com

                    > > From:
                    j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com [䈀mailto:

                    j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com]
                    > > On Behalf Of Jennifer
                    > > Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:41 PM
                    > > To:
                    j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                    > > Subject: [j4x-owners-group] twingers

                    > > Has anyone set up twingers, particularly on a J-42? We are kicking around a few
                    > > ideas on how to set them up and are interested in what has or hasn't worked on
                    > > similar boats.
                    > >
                    > > thanks!
                    > > Jennifer Neumann
                    > > Tiki J
                    > > J/42 #33

                  • Jennifer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009
                      thanks Bernie, we are not sure what to do--for our regular racing it is fine but we are going to Hawaii next summer in the Pac Cup and having the sheet chafing on the boom for days on end seems like a bad idea. :p we still have 14 months to figure something out though.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009
                        Jennifer
                        We have the chafe problem as well on bottom of boom and it really is not that big a problem as the sheet is always moving a little so it doesn't rub in the same place all the time.
                        For what it is worth, last year we crossed the Atlantic from the Canaries to Barbados, a distance of 2700nm in 16 days.  Winds were dead aft in the 20-34kt range almost the entire time.  With just my wife and I on board, a spinnaker would not have worked.
                        Instead, we were wing and wing for the entire 16 days, using a 155% mylar tape drive sail from UK Sailmakers and the main on the other side.  The genoa was on the pole the entire time and the sail could be furled.  As squalls came through we would roll up the genoa a little and sometimes even put another reef in the main.  We never had to come into the wind to reef and this combination worked wonderfully.
                        Unless you have a big crew and want to hand steer, I would not use a spin for that distance.
                         Chances of a wrap from swells are probably 100% as opposed to the genoa where the chance is zero.  Plus the speed is almost as great with comfortable sailing level and flat.
                        In big seas, rolling is your worst enemy and if the wind lightens a little, a wrap of the spin will surely occur, causing no end of headachs plus danger of damage to the sail.
                        Re twings, I do use them in high winds to choke the sheet and guy down a little to reduce pumping of the sail, but not to avoid chafe as chafe has never really been a problem.
                        Biggest chafe problem we had was with our furling line when the sail was partly rolled up and the furling line was under tension.  I never could find out just where the chafe was coming from after repeated searches.  We lost the line at least 3 times over the past few years. Always in very strong winds with tons of strain on the line.  We never caught the chafe before the line parted to see where it was coming from.  It always happened suddenly and then it was impossible to know exactly where the line was as the sail fully opened and the line rolled up in the drum.
                        Bill Stellin   Jaywalker  J/42 hull #6

                        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                        From: sailsfbay@...
                        Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:24:42 +0000
                        Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re: twingers

> [...]

                        > > > solution
                        > > > Download a free trial: http://jazz. net.
                        > > > IBM Rational software, coyneb@, 781-789-0762
                        > > > Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/ IBM@IBMUS
                        > > >

                        > > > "Geoffrey Clark"
                        > > > <gecgaspa@cocked-
                        > > > hat.com> To
                        > > > Sent by: <�j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com>
                        > > > j4x-owners-group@ cc
                        > > > yahoogroups. com "'Geoffrey Clark'"
                        > > > <gecgaspa@>
                        > > > Subject
                        > > > 04/30/2009 03:17 RE: [j4x-owners- group] twingers
                        > > > PM
                        > > >

                        > > > Please respond to
                        > > > j4x-owners-group@
                        > > > yahoogroups. com

                        > > > OK, I’ll bite. What is a twinger???? When I Googled twinger and boat,
                        > what
                        > > came up
                        > > > was links to â€Å"swinger boatâ€Â�, which seemed like fun, but I suspect

                      • Dick & Joan Harding
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009
                          Installed them on a Frac Rig X119 with relatively small for triangle. Used a double block for the sheet end so we could double purchase from the rail. The bitter end secured at the rail then up through the double block back through a block on the rail and then to a clam cleat on the cockpit coming. Good in real heavy air when gybing for chocking down the sheet on the new weather side till the lazy guy is made and the pole back in position.  Also stabilizes the chute when running deep in a good breeze.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009
                            thanks for this!

                            --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Dick & Joan Harding" <dharding@...> wrote:

                            > Installed them on a Frac Rig X119 with relatively small for triangle. Used a double block for the sheet end so we could double purchase from the rail. The bitter end secured at the rail then up through the double block back through a block on the rail and then to a clam cleat on the cockpit coming. Good in real heavy air when gybing for chocking down the sheet on the new weather side till the lazy guy is made and the pole back in position. Also stabilizes the chute when running deep in a good breeze.

                          • Jennifer
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009
                              thanks Bill. the guys did the pac cup last year on a different boat and had a nifty webbing set-up that prevented the spinnker from getting wrapped. They found that it worked quite well. :-) We will have a crew of probably six so will be flying the kite for sure. Any pointers on how you set up your twings would be appreciated-particularly how you lead them back and cleat them.