Can you provide additional feedback on your Max Prop?

  • Scott, Kim, Max & Cody Dickinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23, 2009
      All,

      Your feedback was great and I've done my own additoinal review and decided on the Max Prop. I chose the Max Prop mostly because I wanted a feathering prop and wanted all the power I could get for west coast deliveries. Thanks to all those that responsed.

      PYI proposed:
      3 Blade 18" diameter by 14" pitch for a 1 1/4" shaft $3100.00

      The specs we recorded during our survey were:
      shoal draft J-42 with 20,000lbs displacement and typical cruising RPM of 2800. We have a Yanmar 3JH 2-TE, 43 hp engine with 1363 cc displacement and 1 1/4" shaft.

      For those that got the Max Prop, is this the size you purchased or was it different? I wasn't planning on the VP version which is $700 more - did anyone else go for it? Why?

      Additionally, I've searched the web over and seen quite a few articles and a video on the prop installation. PYI says we can have installed in water by an experienced diver. It looks pretty complicated and was leaning toward a haulout. Any suggestions? What setting did you adjust your prop to? What different boat specifications do you have?

      Did anyone else install other devices at the same time? or any accessories?

      Any perspectives appreciated.
    • tkeffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2009
        An 18" 3-blade VP prop is exactly the one I got, except we pitched it to 20" (which, with the VP, is trivial to change). I have the exact same engine. You'll be happy with it.

        I don't believe the VP is necessary. In theory, its advantage is the ability to change pitch quickly in anticipation of different load conditions. In practice, once you get the pitch dialed in reasonably well, you'll never change it. If you set it to 18 or 20", I doubt you'll feel the need to change.

        It is definitely possible to install the MaxProp under water. There's a guy in Seattle who does it all the time. I don't know about the Bay Area. The experience you want is in the installing part, not the diving part.

        As for accessories, some line cutters would be handy, but I've never felt the need for them. There should be plenty of room on the propshaft should you decide to go that route.

        -tk

        --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Scott, Kim, Max & Cody Dickinson" <sk_dickinson@...> wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > Your feedback was great and I've done my own additoinal review and decided on the Max Prop. I chose the Max Prop mostly because I wanted a feathering prop and wanted all the power I could get for west coast deliveries. Thanks to all those that responsed.
        >
        > PYI proposed:
        > 3 Blade 18" diameter by 14" pitch for a 1 1/4" shaft $3100.00
        >
        > The specs we recorded during our survey were:
        > shoal draft J-42 with 20,000lbs displacement and typical cruising RPM of 2800. We have a Yanmar 3JH 2-TE, 43 hp engine with 1363 cc displacement and 1 1/4" shaft.
        >
        > For those that got the Max Prop, is this the size you purchased or was it different? I wasn't planning on the VP version which is $700 more - did anyone else go for it? Why?
        >
        > Additionally, I've searched the web over and seen quite a few articles and a video on the prop installation. PYI says we can have installed in water by an experienced diver. It looks pretty complicated and was leaning toward a haulout. Any suggestions? What setting did you adjust your prop to? What different boat specifications do you have?
        >
        > Did anyone else install other devices at the same time? or any accessories?
        >
        > Any perspectives appreciated.

      • davidshapiro49
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2009
          We have installed an 18" 3-blade Max Prop Classic on "Sandpiper." We tried pitching at 20 degrees (X=K, Y=E) the first year. We have the 3JH2TE. The engine redlines up on the governor easily. The next 2 years we set the pitch to 22 degrees (X=N, Y=D). The pitch matched our governor exactly, maybe 50 RPM over-pitched. Above 6.8 kts underway, the stern would squat, burying the exhaust. This made for an oily transom. I even put a new turbo on with only 850 hrs since new on the old one. I talked to PYI, J, and Yanmar, with photos, to no avail. Bill Boyesen of "Jimimy" set his back to 20 degrees to avoid smoke and we followed suit. So 22 is efficient for the engine but the boat wants to climb its bow wave. At 20 degrees, we stay below 7 kts and motor along at 2650 RPM, with about 30% of the smoke residue on the transom. I still have to wax-clean the transom after 4 - 6 hours motoring, but it gets my carcass off the boat at the end of the day.
          We have an R&D (PYI) nylon coupling and an M&S Spurs line cutter on the shaft with plenty of room. I would definitely haul the boat to do the installation in case you needed any machining.
          Good Luck, DAS,
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2009
            I too have experienced a lot of soot on the transom and I am sure it has nothing to do with the prop.  I found fuel in Europe is much cleaner and thus little to no soot on transom.  The minute I get a load of lesser grade refined fuel the smoke is back.
            My experience covers over 8 years using European fuel and I am almost positive, poorer refining is the cause.
            Here in the US, fuel is probably not much better than heating oil.  I have also been using ValveTec additive with the blessing of Mack Boring and that ups the CTAN level which also helps to eliminate soot.
            I have a Flexofold 2 blade prop which powers the boat fine at the proper RPM relative to redlining etc.
            Bill Stellin   Jaywalker  Hull #6 1996

            To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
            From: dashapiro@...
            Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 01:01:18 +0000