Re: [j4x-owners-group] Boom Preventer

  • tony@shanomet.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 29, 2013
      Thank you Frank. Tony
      Sent from my iPhone

      > On Sep 28, 2013, at 8:08 PM, Frank Flannery <fflanner@...> wrote:
      >
      > I have used a similar setup with a slight difference:
      >
      > The two lines lead from the bow are of fixed length and each is stored
      > on the rail just forward of the lifeline gate. I used a single strop
      > on the boom that was led through a block on the boom bail, forward to
      > the front of the boom then down and back to an existing clutch on the
      > cabin sole. Bungee held the stop up and out of the way when not in
      > use. To gybe, let the clutch loose, gybe, then go the the leeward
      > rail and switch the preventer line to the new leeward one and take up
      > on the rope clutch again. It can be done without adding any deck
      > hardware, assuming you can free up a clutch on the cabin sole under
      > the dodger.
      >
      > Frank
      >

      >> On 9/17/13, Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...> wrote:
      >> Yes, the shackle is a Tylaska T-8. Overkill perhaps, but they release
      >> nicely under load.
      >>
      >> I just feed the line through the bow cleats --- no block.
      >>
      >> You could do this using one strop with shackle. The shackle would then clip
      >> into the shock cord when not in use. It's important to use spectra for the
      >> strop because it is light. This way, when you park the strop, the shock
      >> cord will neatly snug it up against the boom.
      >>
      >> Frankly, I don't remember why I used two strops. Maybe because that's the
      >> way Starzinger does it and I shamelessly copied? :-)
      >>
      >> -tk
      >>

      >> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Anthony M Iacono
      >> <tony@...>wrote:
      >>
      >>> **
      >>>

      >>> Hi Tom,
    • rersk
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 7, 2013

        I posted some photos of our preventer set-up on Cayenne.  It sounds quite similar to the ones described by others on this thread.  Attaching the preventer control line to a boom mounted preventer at the end nearest the gooseneck means the system is easy to set with boom out, and easy to change after gybing.  The bungee sewn into the middle of the boom mounted preventer line holds it in place on the boom when stowed and helps absorb the shocks of accidental gybes and unexpected backwinding.  The inner forestay also pictured is excellent for either storm jib or heavy weather jib, putting the roller furling genoa out of harm's way.

        Reed  s/v Cayenne #65

        ---In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, <tony@...> wrote:

        Thank you Frank. Tony
        Sent from my iPhone

        > On Sep 28, 2013, at 8:08 PM, Frank Flannery <fflanner@...> wrote:
        >
        > I have used a similar setup with a slight difference:
        >
        > The two lines lead from the bow are of fixed length and each is stored
        > on the rail just forward of the lifeline gate. I used a single strop
        > on the boom that was led through a block on the boom bail, forward to
        > the front of the boom then down and back to an existing clutch on the
        > cabin sole. Bungee held the stop up and out of the way when not in
        > use. To gybe, let the clutch loose, gybe, then go the the leeward
        > rail and switch the preventer line to the new leeward one and take up
        > on the rope clutch again. It can be done without adding any deck
        > hardware, assuming you can free up a clutch on the cabin sole under
        > the dodger.
        >
        > Frank
        >

        >> On 9/17/13, Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...> wrote:
        >> Yes, the shackle is a Tylaska T-8. Overkill perhaps, but they release
        >> nicely under load.
        >>
        >> I just feed the line through the bow cleats --- no block.
        >>
        >> You could do this using one strop with shackle. The shackle would then clip
        >> into the shock cord when not in use. It's important to use spectra for the
        >> strop because it is light. This way, when you park the strop, the shock
        >> cord will neatly snug it up against the boom.
        >>
        >> Frankly, I don't remember why I used two strops. Maybe because that's the
        >> way Starzinger does it and I shamelessly copied? :-)
        >>
        >> -tk
        >>

        >> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Anthony M Iacono
        >> <tony@...>wrote:
        >>
        >>> **
        >>>

        >>> Hi Tom,
      • gmail account
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 7, 2013

          I do not see the photos.

          Conrad

          Another J # 46

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 7, 2013

            Tom Keffer
            keffer@...

            On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 6:38 AM, gmail account <cdsail123@...> wrote:

            I do not see the photos.

            Conrad

            Another J # 46

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 7, 2013
              Thanks for the pictures.  I wonder if the pad eye at the aft end of the boom is strong enough to handle the shock of an uncontrolled crash jybe.  Is it through bolted to the one on the other side.
              We attach our preventer directly to the boom bale.  Why not do the same in your setup.
              The boom bale has a bolt that goes through the boom so the load is distributed to both surfaces of the boom.

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 7, 2013
                Yes , they are there and thanks for posting them

              • shanecreamer@rocketmail.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 7, 2013

                  I just installed this preventer system today in Bermuda. Chuck Poindexter at Sound Rigging Services (860-391-3944) sells everything (except the "fore guy") as a kit - drill bits included! We'll test it out on our trip South next week.

                  Shane Creamer

                  J 42 #30 Baruna

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 13, 2013

                    The padeyes on either side of the boom are  bolted onto the boom, not screwed.  They were installed by Chuck Poindexter of Sound Rigging, Essex CT.  Attaching the boom stowed preventer pennant lines to the boom bail would not lead as fair, and would tend to create a torquing load on the boom and gooseneck when stressed.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 13, 2013
                        Thru bolting to only one surface of the boom is not the same as thru bolting all the way from one side to the other.  Using the boom bail with a hardened snap shackle distributes the load to both side of the boom and does not require any additional hardware.  Also you never have to leave the cockpit to rig it.  The preventer is a continuous line and has a shackle at both ends so you unsnap one and snap on the other when the boom is centered.
                         It worked perfectly on both of our Atlantic crossings and it only took one of us to rig it which is especially good at night when the off watch person is trying to get some sleep.
                        Bill  #6

                        Sent from my iPad

                        Message 12 of 19 , Nov 13, 2013
                          what keeps the web strap from sliding forward.  I am sure what you are using works fine.  I just rather not have all extra kinds of "stuff" on the boom.  We race the boat and as you know "less is more" when it comes to kit on the boat.  I always try to make sure things can do double duty to avoid overloading the boat.  My preventer didn't cost anything as I already had a pad eye and snatch block for the bow, line and snap shackles. And I didn't have to drill holes in anything. I use the primary winches to tension the preventer which I think is much better than using a rope clutch.  Plus there are never enough clutches anyway.   I use my clutches for the main halyard, the pole lift, the reef lines , up and down, the cunningham, the boom vang and one spin halyard. The pad eye on the bow is forward of the windless and is a great big U bolt that can hold more than one snap shackle at a time.  It is through bolted with an thick aluminum backing plate underneath.
                          Bill  #6

                          Sent from my iPad

                          Message 13 of 19 , Nov 18, 2013

                            I still cannot see the pictures.  When I click on the website I do not see the pictures.

                            Another J

                            Message 14 of 19 , Nov 18, 2013
                              Possibly you are not logged into Yahoo. They maintain the web site.  I can see them when I click on the link below.
                              Bill  #6

                              Sent from my iPad

                              Message 15 of 19 , Nov 21, 2013
                                Here's a picture (pasted-in below) of our new preventer system in action, while sailing from Bermuda to St. Martin last week. This is the kit sold by Chuck Poindexter at Sound Rigging. I installed it two weeks ago in Bermuda.

                                The line made by Chuck is white (it runs from the end of the boom to between the red jib sheets), and its forward spliced eye loop attaches to a snap shackle (in between the two red jib sheets in the photo) that is spliced to the 3/8ths inch grey fore guy line (not part of Chuck's kit) that leads through a block at the inner forestay tang, then down the starboard side of the deck through Spinlock furling line blocks (http://www.pyacht.com/spinlock-furling-line-leads.htm) to a rope clutch mounted on the toe rail in between the primary and main winches (the Spinlock blocks and clutch are not part of Chuck's kit).

                                The unused windward line made by Chuck loops around a Harken cleat attached to the boom just aft of the gooseneck (you can see the leeward cleat in the photo - it's black). The bungee inside the cover stretches to hold the line against the boom when not in use. The fore guy line is 60 feet long, and is long enough to allow us to jibe the boat without first disconnecting the fore guy. It worked very well on the delivery.

                                Shane
                                J42 #30 Baruna

                                http://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/DSC_4763.jpg?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=263099&part=2