927Re: [j4x-owners-group] J-42 Forward head mounting

    Jul 4, 2013
      We replaced both heads when we bought our boat. We went with stainless lag bolts back in to the same holes. It is probably time for us to look at them again since that was ten years ago. To protect the bolts you might put Tef Gel or caulk on them to keep them from corroding quickly.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 3, 2013, at 10:12 PM, "hst_jreed" <joseph.w.reed@...> wrote:

      I discovered that on of the lag bolts that secured the foreward head down had rusted off. When inspecting the other 5 lag bolts a second also sheared off due to rust.

      Has anyone else experienced this problem and knows what the lag bolts are set into below the insert?

      I am going to have to drill out the old bolts since an easy out has not worked to extract tho old bolts and will have to rebuild the interface. any thoughts or guidance?

      Joe Reed
      Keep It Simple Hull #12

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic