807Re: [j4x-owners-group] Adding Solar Panels & wind generator to J-42

    Apr 3, 2013
      Joe
      If you pack your inflatable in a bag, consider stowing it ahead of the mast.
      It is more secure there as the hand rails are closer, you can use the mast to tie it to as well, it makes a very handy step to get to the main headboard when you attach the halyard, it also is a nice seat up forward when you are underway and finally it is easier to inflate there due to more room and easier to launch with no boom in the way.  Just a thought.

      On Apr 3, 2013, at 12:42 PM, "Joseph Reed" <joseph.w.reed@...> wrote:

      I agree that the dinghy should always be stowed on deck during a passage. My current dinghy has a soft inflatable floor which deflates to assembly that is 36", L 24" W, & 16" H. It  is stored on the cabin top forward of the dodger. If I upgrade the dinghy to a RIB it has to fit forward of the mast deflated and lashed down. Also, davits interfere with the swim ladder

      My overall goal is to keep as much performance as possible and still be able to do a 3,000 nm passage safely. For the Caribbean 1500, I installed the optional 31 gal fuel on the port side and 2 jerry can fit aft of it. During this passage we ran the engine just over 2 hours per day for battery charging, refrigeration and SSB use. Over the last 5 months cruising the Virgin Island, the engine is run 2 hours per day and the Honda about 1 hour per day.

      The current batteries are around 10 years old and will be replaced when I get back to Annapolis. During this upgrade I will add a SOC monitor for both the 400ah house bank and 75ah start battery. Also, I will take Tom's advise about upgrading the alternator.

      I have already decide against a gantry.

      Thank you for all your inputs. I will update everyone when the final configuration has been selected.

      Joe
      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 3, 2013, at 11:52 AM, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

      Despite what you see out on the water, I don't think carrying a dinghy on davits is a good idea.
      In a gale and high seas it presents way too much windage.  During passage making, we always deflate ours and carry it on deck lashed in front of the mast. Even if it were a hard bottom, we would stow it deflated and on the fore deck.  The outboard is also stowed below in the starboard aft locker.  No jerry cans are ever on deck either.
      I installed the optional port hard fuel tank and built a floor over it and the jerry cans can sit on top of the floor, down nice and low and very secure.

      On Apr 3, 2013, at 11:22 AM, "Wayne Cassady" <wcassady@...> wrote:

      Well said. I started removing extra stuff during the delivery of our boat back to the States that the previous owner had installed.

      On 4/3/2013 11:04 AM, Thomas Keffer wrote:

      I would have to agree.

      Joe, think about why you bought a J/42 in the first place. Surely it was for the great sailing performance, especially in light air. All of that it's going to disappear as you laden the boat down, particularly with high windage items like an arch or solar panels

      It's your boat, but for my own, I've made the conscious decision to accept a more Spartan on-board life in exchange for those moments when VELOCITY is hard on the breeze, doing 7+ knots to windward, sailing, when everyone else is motoring.

      The one concession I've made is a larger (160 amp Electromaax) alternator. It's gotten the engine runtime down to about 45 minutes a day.

      Sincerely,

      Tom Keffer

      On Apr 2, 2013 7:30 PM, "William Stellin" <wstellin@...> wrote:

      No pun or disrespect, but I think your vessel name says it all.

      On Apr 2, 2013, at 9:09 PM, "Joseph Reed" <joseph.w.reed@...> wrote:

      If I plan on going around the world, I will be adding solar, wind, battery upgrade and monitor SOC at a minimum. This means adding a gantry to the stern to accommodate all this and plus support for a dinghy. I am also considering a wind vane as a back up for the auto pilot.

      If  you have any recommendation please provide your recommendations. I am planning all the upgrades this summer.

      Joe Reed
      Keep It Simple J-42 hull #12

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic