803Re: [j4x-owners-group] Adding Solar Panels & wind generator to J-42

    Apr 3, 2013

      I would have to agree.

      Joe, think about why you bought a J/42 in the first place. Surely it was for the great sailing performance, especially in light air. All of that it's going to disappear as you laden the boat down, particularly with high windage items like an arch or solar panels

      It's your boat, but for my own, I've made the conscious decision to accept a more Spartan on-board life in exchange for those moments when VELOCITY is hard on the breeze, doing 7+ knots to windward, sailing, when everyone else is motoring.

      The one concession I've made is a larger (160 amp Electromaax) alternator. It's gotten the engine runtime down to about 45 minutes a day.

      Sincerely,

      Tom Keffer

      On Apr 2, 2013 7:30 PM, "William Stellin" <wstellin@...> wrote:

      No pun or disrespect, but I think your vessel name says it all.

      On Apr 2, 2013, at 9:09 PM, "Joseph Reed" <joseph.w.reed@...> wrote:

      If I plan on going around the world, I will be adding solar, wind, battery upgrade and monitor SOC at a minimum. This means adding a gantry to the stern to accommodate all this and plus support for a dinghy. I am also considering a wind vane as a back up for the auto pilot.

      If  you have any recommendation please provide your recommendations. I am planning all the upgrades this summer.

      Joe Reed
      Keep It Simple J-42 hull #12

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic