797Re: [j4x-owners-group] Adding Solar Panels & wind generator to J-42

    Mar 31, 2013
      We installed a high power (135 amp) alternator and a smart regulator. We also have a 55 watt solar panel.  No generator or wind power and never had a dead battery in all the years of cruising in Europe and the Caribbean.  We did lots of anchoring and used the engine about 2 hours each day to recharge and keep the cold plate cold.  Our house bank is about 250 amps and we have a starting battery as well.
      Bill Stellin   hull #6   Jaywalker

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 31, 2013, at 4:21 PM, "hst_jreed" <joseph.w.reed@...> wrote:

      After cruising the Virgin Islands this winter it has become apparent that I need something other that the engine to maintain the batteries. I used a Honda EU 2000i Generator on the stern connected through the shore power connector but am considering adding solar panels at a minimum.

      I am considering several years of cruising the Caribbean and beyond. What is the experience or thoughts out there?

      Joe Reed
      J-42 Hull #12

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic