649Re: [j4x-owners-group] J/42 generator and AC - where to install and issues

    Jul 2, 2012
      I agree.

      I know you guys are sweltering on the East Coast and putting in that A/C must look mighty tempting. I also know that many other J/42 owners are happy with them. Still, I'd think long and hard before encumbering the boat with a genset and A/C.

      I bought my J/42 because I was sick of motoring. I wanted something where the sailing would be "fun" even in 4-6 knots of wind, and that's exactly what I got. Start adding weight and you're going to lose that light air performance.

      I'd look at getting a larger alternator (I like Electromaax with their serpentine belt) and a small portable window A/C unit (the Cruisair Carry-On seems to be popular).

      Easy for me to say, I know. In 20+ years of boating I could count the number of "hot" cruising days here in the Pacific Northwest on one hand!

      -tk

      On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

      For what it is worth, we carried a heavy valise type life raft in the locker and we've never had a problem with hobbyhorsing.
      We also don't have a gen set or ac and never missed them while we lived on the boat for almost 9 years in the Med and one winter in the Carib.
      If you install a high output alternator, extra batteries, an inverter,you will have all the dc and ac current you will need except for running an air conditioner.
      You can buy very slick portable ac's from Menards and Home Depot that would work just fine for the days you need them.
      Frankly, I'd worry more about whether I really like the whole J/42 boat before spending time on kit for it.
      Bill Stellin.    Jaywalker. #6

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic