      From:        Anthony M Iacono <tony@...>
      To:        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:        05/09/2012 12:56 PM
      Subject:        Re: [j4x-owners-group] backstay adjuster

      The mast stays up fine without a back stay in fact in light air I have it off completely. Your question raised one for me.  I always have the backstay fully released at the dock, it is loose and floppy. I have it that way in very light air it as well. [For many years I raced a J/24, in that boat the tuning guide calls for a loose backstay in light air.] So a question for Bernie. After reading your note on tuning I bought an RT 11 this year. I tuned the mast with zero tension on the backstay. Now the rig is tuned to the base setting the stay still has zero tension, based on my J 24 experience this is as it should be. Is that what you find on your boat, or should my backstay be shortened or some backstay tension applied even for very light wind?  Tony

      From: Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...>
      Date:
      Wed, 9 May 2012 11:16:06 -0400
      To:
      <
      j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Re: [j4x-owners-group] backstay adjuster

      Hi Conrad:

      The mast stays up fine without a backstay.  The swept-back spreaders do the trick.  Just don't go sailing with an asym :-)

      We launch our boat with a crane, with the mast in and without a backstay all the time.

      Market Mgr - Application Lifecycle Management Solutions
      IBM Software, Rational
      Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...

      From:
      "Conrad " <cdsail123@...>
      To:
      <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:
      05/09/2012 11:09 AM
      Subject:
      [j4x-owners-group] backstay adjuster
      Sent by:
      j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

      I need to have the hydraulic bs reconditioned so I am taking it off and sending to maker (Sailtec).  I have running BS to help support the mast during the process of taking off the hydraulic.  I have not yet taken this mast down so I am not sure how much weight is goingto be released once the BS is disconnected.   I am thinking that I can use a jumper rope from the top of the BS to the back rail and then once disconnected insert a rope where the BS was connected.  Is the weight that is release too much for once person to hold until I can replacewith the line?