506Re: [j4x-owners-group] bunks and storage and water under stove and nav table

    Dec 5, 2011
      Hi, Tony.

      Still another place to look for leaks: the bulkhead between the anchor locker and the forward stateroom. The slots in the anchor locker hatch plus the windlass hawsepipe can let in enough water that you can get a foot or two of water in the anchor locker, especially when hard on the wind. I am aware of two boats that had leaky conduits between the locker and the stateroom, resulting in water running through the boat.

      As for storage, Jim Wilson on CEOR MOR had the factory put in some attractive drawers under the  v-berth, as well as real lockers above, on the bulkhead mentioned above. Here are a couple of pictures I took of Jim's setup when I ran into him in New Zealand last year.

      Bill and Kathy Cuffel made some similar retrofits to JARANA, but I don't have any pictures.

      Cheers,

      -tk

      On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:05 AM, tony@... <tony@...> wrote:

      I'm looking to add some storage and gain an additional bunk for offshore passages.

      THe idea i'm executing for storage is to add a 4 to 6" extension to the port shelf in the V Berth and attaching zippered enclosures, Also I plan to add add some enclosures on the Starboard side shelf without the extension. Curious if anyone has done something different to add storage.

      It seems I'm one bunk short offshore. Has anyone added a bunk either to the main salon or in the aft cabin? If so do you have pictures or tips?

      Lastly sailing up wind in a moderate to heavy sea i get sea water under the cabin sole. When healing it goes under the Nav Table drawers or under the oven. Someties it even ocmes above the floor in the Nav station. Anyone have a good idea of where this water is coming from or how to stop it? I've closed the sink sea cocks. Maybe there are some leaks along the rail, but the volume seems too great for that.

      Tony Iacono Affinity #26

      --
      Thomas Keffer

      Email: keffer@...