      From: "William Stellin" <wstellin@...>
      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, December 5, 2011 5:33:04 PM
      Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] bunks and storage and water under stove and nav table

      Re water. Because the bottom is quite flat water runs easily up the insides when heeling. Most likely cause is the rudder tube stuffing. If you have the kind of stuffing with flax cord, you can tighten it and that should stop the leak. The stuffing box is higher than the middle of the boats bottom( keel area) so the water runs down to the bilge and when heeled doesn't even get to the bilge. Instead it runs alongside and comes out wherever it can. Pitching of the boat let's slosh back and forth. When the boat is upright it drains into the bilge sump and is pumped out. Unfortunately on long passages where you might be heeled severely for hours, the water seldom drains into the sump. Get it fixed quick because salt water sloshing inside the boat will ruin everything it touches especially the fuel tanks which are made of aluminum and electrical wires like around the fresh water pump.
      Bill Stellin.   Jaywalker. #6

      Sent from my iPod

      On Dec 5, 2011, at 11:05 AM, "tony@..." <tony@...> wrote:

      I'm looking to add some storage and gain an additional bunk for offshore passages.

      THe idea i'm executing for storage is to add a 4 to 6" extension to the port shelf in the V Berth and attaching zippered enclosures, Also I plan to add add some enclosures on the Starboard side shelf without the extension. Curious if anyone has done something different to add storage.

      It seems I'm one bunk short offshore. Has anyone added a bunk either to the main salon or in the aft cabin? If so do you have pictures or tips?

      Lastly sailing up wind in a moderate to heavy sea i get sea water under the cabin sole. When healing it goes under the Nav Table drawers or under the oven. Someties it even ocmes above the floor in the Nav station. Anyone have a good idea of where this water is coming from or how to stop it? I've closed the sink sea cocks. Maybe there are some leaks along the rail, but the volume seems too great for that.

      Tony Iacono Affinity #26

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic