      From: William Stellin <wstellin@...>
      To: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Mon, June 13, 2011 4:09:36 PM
      Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] head plug

      It can be done in the water with no trouble. Close the sea cock and cut the tee not the hose. The plastic or nylon that the tee is made of seem to attract calcium which has probably shut down it's diameter to about 1/4 inch. It will be very hard to replace the heavy black hose in such a tight space. Better to not disturb it. The hose ends are already formed to the tee. It is a bear to force new hose on. Plus there is less chance of messing up the sea cock if you leave the hose on it. Your pee mixed with salt water forms a rock like stone which is the problem. Always pump at least twenty times with each flush or do as I do and pee in the sink (yuk) and rinse with fresh water. After you are finished with this job you may even prefer to just hold it.

      On Jun 13, 2011, at 2:15 PM, Con & Deb Deeter <cdsail@...> wrote:

      Sounds complete but a little dangerous in the water.  When you say "rock" are you referring to barnacles or calcium deposit or just head deposits.  Since it is really hard to get any leverage in that space I am planning to cut the hose just above the top side of the tee and then work the remaining hose off the tee.  Once off, clean the inside of the tee and then replace the hose (approx. 6').

      However, your thought is that the inside diameter of the tee has been closed over time and is now plugged and needs replacing.  that is a, i think, out of the water job especially so close to the thru hull...

      Thanks again for the advice and insight...

      conrad